Current Doom Hounds

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 16:54

Current Doom Hounds

How do you deal with them? They are like Iron Brand Convokers that don't need a multi-tun windup these days; I just retreated from Tar in my current game because entering it went all; hound summons 3 fiends, a shadow dragon and another hellhound...and...I didn't see more conflicts like that going well.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 17:06

Re: Current Doom Hounds

Doom Hounds can only howl once and can't summon more Doom Hounds. Summoned Doom Hounds don't howl at all.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 17:21

CanOfWorms wrote:Doom Hounds can only howl once and can't summon more Doom Hounds. Summoned Doom Hounds don't howl at all.

Is that how they've been changed to work? Or is that a proposed fix? If it's a proposed fix, why not remove them entirely because they're just a pack of shittier reapers now?

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 17:22

Fairly sure the current version no longer summons just other hounds but pulls normal creatures from around the floor, like a convoker...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 17:29

WalrusKing wrote:
CanOfWorms wrote:Doom Hounds can only howl once and can't summon more Doom Hounds. Summoned Doom Hounds don't howl at all.

Is that how they've been changed to work? Or is that a proposed fix? If it's a proposed fix, why not remove them entirely because they're just a pack of shittier reapers now?

http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=co ... 21acddc366

Doom Hounds are Tartarian Mangroves.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 17:32

Ah, that's way less bad than what I thought it was. I guess you still want a wand of para or something to deal with them, but at least now you can't lose a level to them outright if your damage wasn't high enough

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 1st January 2016, 19:46

WalrusKing wrote:Ah, that's way less bad than what I thought it was. I guess you still want a wand of para or something to deal with them, but at least now you can't lose a level to them outright if your damage wasn't high enough

Yeah, a wand of paralysis will neutralize roughly half the doom hounds you come across. The rest will get a howl off... just blow them and their summons up I guess? I dunno, I don't find Tartarus monsters very threatening, as Hell goes.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice