treasure trove

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 31st October 2015, 11:06

treasure trove

i found a treasure trove asking me for a wand of healing, i got only one now should i go for it or should i wait till i hopefully get another one ?
Wins(runes) sorted by date:
MiBe(3) - CeHu(15) - FoFi(3) - DsFE(4) - FoAM(15) - MfGl(3)-FoMo(4)-FoMo(3)-FoAM(6)-FoFi(15)-HOFi(3)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 31st October 2015, 11:19

Re: treasure trove

based on your number of recharging scrolls you should just ignore the trove.
You shall never see my color again.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 31st October 2015, 22:09

It's unlikely that you have enough heal wounds to make entering the trove worth it.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 04:58

I don't think there is ever any point in the game where I ever think that I have "enough" heal wounds.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 07:05

I've had 3 wands in a game, plus pots. At that point I would enter the trove after draining a wand of charges.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 08:06

I have had characters strong enough I didn't feel like I needed HW that much. on the other hand those characters probably wouldn't find much of use in a trove.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 15:22

daggaz wrote:I've had 3 wands in a game, plus pots. At that point I would enter the trove after draining a wand of charges.

Treasure troves typically ask for fully charged wands, I don't think I've ever seen one just ask for a wand and not specify how much charges it needs.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 15:38

I've just seen one asking for a wand of hasting with 3 charges. I've never seen a trove ask for a wand without specifying a minimum amount of charge (the same way a +5 ice dragon armour works when it asks for a +3 one, wands only need to have at least the right number of charge). But I've very rarely seen them ask for a fully charged one. It would get extremely silly on the weak wands that can have up to 48 charges!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 15:52

Do troves even ever ask for wands that aren't hasting/heal wounds/other top-tier wands?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 19:24

Laraso wrote:Do troves even ever ask for wands that aren't hasting/heal wounds/other top-tier wands?

They can only ask for a wand of heal wounds or a wand of hasting.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 20:24

Humbug. Just gave one 14 scrolls of teleportation. I could sort of-maybe afford it, also carrying 11 charges in tele wands and 5 recharge scrolls at the time. Plus another 4 tele scrolls left over, and numerous healing charges...

I knew it was a dubious move, but I have so rarely been able to get into them at all so far... And I was really hoping to get a book with Repel Missiles, or a nice artifact buckler or gloves. None of those had appeared anywhere for my caster running Yred yet, and I was headed for Vault 5 or else Zig/Pan/Slime/Hell/Abyss.

It turned out to be a tiny, 4-room vault inside. Only had blue chainmail, a single artifact ring with the same exact abilities as a cloak I aleady wore, a little gold, blue long blades and flails (I'd barely even trained axes), and a couple rings of protection from magic (at least I might have used that in theory).

It wasn't the price that later killed me... But the lack of relevant goods. :shock:
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 21:32

Sojiro wrote:I've just seen one asking for a wand of hasting with 3 charges. I've never seen a trove ask for a wand without specifying a minimum amount of charge (the same way a +5 ice dragon armour works when it asks for a +3 one, wands only need to have at least the right number of charge). But I've very rarely seen them ask for a fully charged one. It would get extremely silly on the weak wands that can have up to 48 charges!

Weird. The only time I've ever seen them ask for a wand, it was for a fully charged one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 21:54

Wiki says "a wand of heal wounds or a wand of hasting with 7+1d2 charges"...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd November 2015, 19:40

stoneychips wrote:Humbug. Just gave one 14 scrolls of teleportation. I could sort of-maybe afford it, also carrying 11 charges in tele wands and 5 recharge scrolls at the time. Plus another 4 tele scrolls left over, and numerous healing charges...

I knew it was a dubious move, but I have so rarely been able to get into them at all so far... And I was really hoping to get a book with Repel Missiles, or a nice artifact buckler or gloves. None of those had appeared anywhere for my caster running Yred yet, and I was headed for Vault 5 or else Zig/Pan/Slime/Hell/Abyss.

It turned out to be a tiny, 4-room vault inside. Only had blue chainmail, a single artifact ring with the same exact abilities as a cloak I aleady wore, a little gold, blue long blades and flails (I'd barely even trained axes), and a couple rings of protection from magic (at least I might have used that in theory).

It wasn't the price that later killed me... But the lack of relevant goods. :shock:

Troves are mostly random but sometimes have specific gear for your character (I've seen one as a naga that had 3 bardings, for example). But the bigger point is that nothing is guaranteed - don't expect to suddenly get everything you want. You'll usually find one or two useful things but sometimes you strike out. Sounds like you had way more teleportation than you'd ever use, though, so it's still a good idea to enter.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
stoneychips

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice