someone please explain how I died

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 08:15

someone please explain how I died

I was in dis:3 and somehow I turned to stone and I was killed. I don't know what turned me to stone. Can anyone help?

!lg melllvar place=dis:3 -tv

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/melllvar/morgue-melllvar-20150801-080019.txt

Was this a hell effect? What there chaos? Whatever caused it scrolled off the screen. I'm so confused.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 08:28

Re: someone please explain how I died

Petrification is a possible hell effect in Dis, as an earth magic miscast, so that was probably it. The only other thing I can think of is a necromutation miscast, though it doesn't look like you cast that recently.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 08:45

It was very likely Dis hell effect. You have 2 turns left to remove the petrification status by drinking cancellation before you turn to stone. Another little downside of lichform there, that you need to terminate it immediately to be able to cure petrification.

There is also a tiny chance it was caused by a monster triggered Zot trap.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 15:36

I don't know why Petrify was added as a Hell effect after Paralysis was removed.
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 15:41

tabstorm wrote:I don't know why Petrify was added as a Hell effect after Paralysis was removed.

You can do something about petrify, but you can't to anything about paralysis.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 15:43

jejorda2 wrote:You can do something about petrify

Not if you're a mummy!

Well, you actually can teleport and pray for the best, or read a summoning scroll and pray for the best. Can't just quaff !cancel, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 16:55

Does petrification from hell trigger "more"? I don't understand how people can play without "more" for such messages, it's easy to miss them and I really doubt anyone sane reads all messages (unless the player muted many messages in RC)

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 18:32

Sandman25 wrote:Does petrification from hell trigger "more"? I don't understand how people can play without "more" for such messages, it's easy to miss them and I really doubt anyone sane reads all messages (unless the player muted many messages in RC)

This is the key question. I'm pretty sure it didn't trigger "more" in my case. Maybe because I use "show_more = false"? But that's only supposed to kick in when the screen fills up. I will gladly add it to my force_more_message list, but I don't know what the message looks like (I do see "your limbs are stiffening", but that's a little late).

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 19:00

melllvar wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Does petrification from hell trigger "more"? I don't understand how people can play without "more" for such messages, it's easy to miss them and I really doubt anyone sane reads all messages (unless the player muted many messages in RC)

This is the key question. I'm pretty sure it didn't trigger "more" in my case. Maybe because I use "show_more = false"? But that's only supposed to kick in when the screen fills up. I will gladly add it to my force_more_message list, but I don't know what the message looks like (I do see "your limbs are stiffening", but that's a little late).

update: I finally found a good tty player (jettyplay) and there's definitely no message (in one frame I'm fine, then it skips 4 turns and says "you are slowing down", next frame I am stone). There was no "more" and I don't even see a message about hell effects (even examining the tty file directly). This feels like a bug, does anyone think I'm crazy?

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice