Placement of branches

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 11:03

Placement of branches

How exactly does the game place branch entrances? Is there an equal chance for temple to be on floors 4-7, for example?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 12:47

Re: Placement of branches

A while back Neil commented on www.reddit.com/r/dcss but I cant find it right now. Indeed, temple generation is equally probable on each of D:4,5,6,7.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 2
bel, Sandman25

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 14:19

A simple way to achieve that (assuming temple is placed at level generation) would be to place it when you reach D:4 with probability 1/4. Otherwise, place temple on D:5 with prob 1/3 and so on.

Anyway, that's mostly what I wanted to know, since finding temple is important when I try speedrunning. Thanks.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 15:44

Branch entrance depths are fixed at the start of the game, so that's not an issue. Portal generation is done at level-creation time, though, so they are more likely towards the upper part of their depth IIRC.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 16:36

My experience with speedrunning taught me that temple placement doesn't matter because the altar I'm looking for won't be there anyway.

For this message the author asdu has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, bel, Rast

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 16:49

wheals wrote:Branch entrance depths are fixed at the start of the game, so that's not an issue. Portal generation is done at level-creation time, though, so they are more likely towards the upper part of their depth IIRC.

It's not clear to me what this is saying. Temple is not equally likely to be in D:4-7?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 18:22

I mean, you don't need the algorithm (which is indeed used lots of times in the crawl source) here, since it just randomly chooses one 4, 5, 6, or 7 at the start of the game. And portal vaults like Sewer have an equal chance on each place they could occur, so they're more likely to be in the first levels you visit.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
bel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 18:54

FR: Ecumenical Temple as timed announced portal vault. If you don't make it inside before the timer expires, you'll be stuck with whatever altars you can find in the dungeon.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 19:54

bel wrote:
wheals wrote:Branch entrance depths are fixed at the start of the game, so that's not an issue. Portal generation is done at level-creation time, though, so they are more likely towards the upper part of their depth IIRC.

It's not clear to me what this is saying. Temple is not equally likely to be in D:4-7?

Bel gave a way to generate the temple evenly from floors 4 to 7 assuming that they are generated one floor at a time. The response was that, for permanent branches, they are generated at the start of the game, so it's placed on d6 before you ever get to d:2. It doesn't need to check 1/4 chance, then 1/3, then 1/2; it just picks d:6 randomly well in advance. This is how that ash vault which shows you what lair subbranches you will have works - the game already knows.

So to repeat the part that matters: the temple has an even 25% chance per floor to show up. It isn't more likely on D:4. Basically, the "(assuming temple is placed at level generation)" part you wrote is the part that is wrong.

Portal vaults aren't pregenerated, so they are somewhat more likely near the top of their range, apparently. This could be compensated for, but it doesn't really matter much imho.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 20:11

tasonir wrote:This is how that ash vault which shows you what lair subbranches you will have works - the game already knows.

What? Is it true?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 20:33

Yeah! You've never seen that vault? It's a pretty neat one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 20:36

dowan wrote:Yeah! You've never seen that vault? It's a pretty neat one.

I've seen it but I didn't expect it has any meaning, just a decoration.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice