Daggers of Stabbing

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 01:22

Daggers of Stabbing

I just got a dagger of stabbing, which seems to be the vorpal brand for daggers. Is there a special bonus for stabbing with these, or is it just the standard +12.5% on average to damage?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 01:30

Re: Daggers of Stabbing

danr wrote:I just got a dagger of stabbing, which seems to be the vorpal brand for daggers. Is there a special bonus for stabbing with these, or is it just the standard +12.5% on average to damage?

That's all you get from it. Meaning, instead of doing 4 damage, it does 4.5. Not a very good brand on daggers.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 01:42

evilmike wrote:
danr wrote:I just got a dagger of stabbing, which seems to be the vorpal brand for daggers. Is there a special bonus for stabbing with these, or is it just the standard +12.5% on average to damage?

That's all you get from it. Meaning, instead of doing 4 damage, it does 4.5. Not a very good brand on daggers.

I think it's one of the worst brands on any weapon. Which is strange, because from a D&D background it seems like it should be great.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 01:46

I just thought that perhaps, since "stabbing" is a skill, it might add to the chance of stabbing in regular melee or something.

Too bad, since this one also has rF+ rElec Int+3.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 02:53

fnwc wrote:
evilmike wrote:

I think it's one of the worst brands on any weapon. Which is strange, because from a D&D background it seems like it should be great.

It used to be much higher, but it was gradually reduced to 12.5% for balance purposes. When the damage bonus was higher, it basically outclassed most of the other weapon brands.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 02:57

evilmike wrote:It used to be much higher, but it was gradually reduced to 12.5% for balance purposes. When the damage bonus was higher, it basically outclassed most of the other weapon brands.

Hmmmm. I wonder if it should be improved slightly, so that it isn't necessarily a non-choice of a brand (except when nothing else is available). I'm not sure what could be done, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 03:43

fnwc wrote:Hmmmm. I wonder if it should be improved slightly, so that it isn't necessarily a non-choice of a brand (except when nothing else is available). I'm not sure what could be done, though.

It isn't a non-choice. It's a consistently mediocre option. It never excels, but it never completely sucks either. The odd insistence that vorpal brands suck is purely a product of Theory Crawl, where the player gets perfect access to every potentially available item in the game. *By design* this doesn't apply to actual play.

Holy wrath might be The Brand To Have in the post-endgame, but if I was playing a high elf crusader in early Lair, I'd certainly choose to vorpalize a vanilla katana over using a holy wrath falchion dropped by a passing orc. Vorpalizing a good weapon will give me an acceptable weapon now, and it will continue to be an acceptable weapon later. If I try using a crappy weapon now I won't make it to later, and if I waste all my resources on something that will soon be obsolete I'll have to make do with crap at that very moment.

Yeah, if I get a crazy double sword of speed I'm going to use that puppy for sure, but how many thousands of games will I have to play before that happens when the game is still early enough for it to matter?

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 04:31

Hmm. Well, I'm just running around in swamp, and a +8,+9 quick blade of stabbing seems to kill things PDQ. Including a couple ice dragons.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 04:49

danr wrote:Hmm. Well, I'm just running around in swamp, and a +8,+9 quick blade of stabbing seems to kill things PDQ.

Quick blades also benefit very little from the vorpal brand. It's not a bad weapon by any means, but it's only a little bit better than a normal quick blade.

With weapon brands, you basically want to look at the speed of the weapon and its base damage. Weapons that have a high base damage benefit from brands like flaming, freezing, holy wrath, vorpal, and anything else that increases damage by a percentage. On the other hand, if the weapon has low damage but high speed (as in a quick blade) it's better to go for a brand like electrocution, pain or (in certain cases) distortion. A quick blade of pain is one of the strongest weapons in the game if you have necromancy skill, since the brand adds a flat amount of damage per attack.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 05:02

Oh well, it still works pretty well, whatever people say about base damage etc. Anyhow as a Berserker it was my only option. If I could have added electric, believe me I would. I think a QB of electrocution would rank up there as one of the best weapons in the game.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice