Darkness

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th April 2015, 21:30

Darkness

I use hexes a lot, but I don't understand how this one is useful, especially not for 7 spell levels (that's as much as controlled blink). Someone sell it to me?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th April 2015, 21:42

Re: Darkness

If a monster isn't on screen, that monster cannot harm you. Darkness makes it so fewer monsters fit on-screen, and makes it so you have to spend fewer turns with the monster on-screen before you can reach it in melee and do whatever it is you're going to do. Fewer stealth-breaking steps required before you can stab. Fewer tiles open for summons.

It isn't worth it for every character build, of course, but if you've got a significant amount of pre-existing investment in hexes and you aren't using the subset of attacks that can reach the edge of normal LOS as your primary form of damage, it's going to be better to have Darkness up than not have Darkness up. You can walk right past those ancient liches and orbs of fire without them ever knowing you're there, because 'there' is smaller than normal. In the post-game, you can shank foo fiends and hellions with a much lower chance of having another one blunder onto the screen to complicate things, because even a little popcorn chokes up a screen that is that much smaller.

Ziggurats are terrible and you shouldn't do them, of course, but hypothetically if you were to do a Ziggurat, shaving off the edge of LOS will cut the number of monsters you have to handle at a time in half. The rest are helplessly walled off by the impenetrable wall of blackness, at least until they can step over the corpses of their allies.

Probably don't train hexes from scratch just to get Darkness, though. It would be pretty expensive.
Last edited by KoboldLord on Friday, 24th April 2015, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Eyesburn

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th April 2015, 21:43

It reduces your LOS thus it reduces monsters LOS. If you are sneaking up on a monster, every turn you are in their LOS your stealth is checked against their HD I believe. If it fails, they wake up. Less turns in LOS, less chance of wake up. Also, monsters can only follow, torment, or shoot projectiles at you if they can see you.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 24th April 2015, 23:19

Is it worth it? I play alot of stabber and rarely use this spell. It's lvl 7 so alot of investment and alot of mana. I'm also not the best crawl player either lol but I would like if some veteran stabbers could give advice about this spell

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 00:15

Yeah, level 7 seems like too much for this spell. I'm not sold on it. Does anyone regularly learn it if they're playing a stabber with hexes? It just seems like 7 spell levels that could be better spent elsewhere.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 00:20

Could be 2 tiles for a lvl 7 spell maybe...

For this message the author roxymo has received thanks:
Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 01:18

Or it could be a spellpower-dependant radius, where it maxes at 2, and fractional darkness radius's could leave you with an irregular shaped LOS :) (That's a weird, but not really serious suggestion, I can't see that being anything but awkward and annoying)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 01:31

Really it should grant a stealth bonus with power

For this message the author roxymo has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 01:39

We don't want to make spellpower breakpoints where the usefulness of the spell dramatically increases.

Spellpower could determine how long the LOS reduction is a full 2. After that initial period, LOS would gradually (or quickly?) increase back to the normal radius, at which the spell would expire.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 05:18

KoboldLord wrote:If a monster isn't on screen, that monster cannot harm you. Darkness makes it so fewer monsters fit on-screen, and makes it so you have to spend fewer turns with the monster on-screen before you can reach it in melee and do whatever it is you're going to do. Fewer stealth-breaking steps required before you can stab. Fewer tiles open for summons.

It isn't worth it for every character build, of course, but if you've got a significant amount of pre-existing investment in hexes and you aren't using the subset of attacks that can reach the edge of normal LOS as your primary form of damage, it's going to be better to have Darkness up than not have Darkness up. You can walk right past those ancient liches and orbs of fire without them ever knowing you're there, because 'there' is smaller than normal. In the post-game, you can shank foo fiends and hellions with a much lower chance of having another one blunder onto the screen to complicate things, because even a little popcorn chokes up a screen that is that much smaller.

Ziggurats are terrible and you shouldn't do them, of course, but hypothetically if you were to do a Ziggurat, shaving off the edge of LOS will cut the number of monsters you have to handle at a time in half. The rest are helplessly walled off by the impenetrable wall of blackness, at least until they can step over the corpses of their allies.

Probably don't train hexes from scratch just to get Darkness, though. It would be pretty expensive.

Darkness won't help much in a Zig. Even with a Demonspawn with three levels of Night and uncannily stealthy I got mobbed. But even as a stabber I love Zigs after I have gotten a few runes. Tons of experience, lots of cure mutation potions and training manuals. Also pick up a few good pieces of gear.

It is nice to have elsewhere but I would think invisibility is most important for Hexes throughout the game and Haste. But haste is Charms so you would have to train that.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 06:46

barretdolph wrote:Darkness won't help much in a Zig. Even with a Demonspawn with three levels of Night and uncannily stealthy I got mobbed.

The point wasn't to sneak up on anything; the point was that the mob is smaller, simply because that's all that will fit in your field of vision.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 02:29

nightstalker 3 + darkness + tornado. That is the ultimate zig build

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 12:37

Don't forget the robe of the Night!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 15:06

Unless it's been changed since I last used it, darkness isn't actually very good for stabbing because casting the spell makes noise.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, Sar

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 19:17

Sar wrote:Don't forget the robe of the Night!

In wizmode, try a DS with Nightstalker 3, Robe of the Night, casting Darkness: The Spell, and wielding a Lantern of Shadows. Bonus points for a Passive Mapping mutation, so that you can actually see where you're stumbling around!

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 20:29

Darkness + Detection (from Ashenzari or Antennas) allows you to detect monsters before they are in LOS even in open terrain. It let's you avoid them easily and that's particularly useful in extended (Abyss, Hells, Pan).

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 23:37

Still isn't worth 7 spell levels. Maybe 5.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 00:26

Lvl 7 spell is abit to high for what it does. I'd give it a buff or a spell lvl reduction

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice