gargoyles and hellfire

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 01:43

gargoyles and hellfire

Any advice for surviving hellfire on gargoyles? I'm pretty sure AC EV and SH are useless against hellfire, and while most characters can just tough it out gargoyles have low enough hp that a couple hits can be deadly. Also, where should gargoyles go after completing the first two lair branches. For most characters I go elvish halls if I have magic resistance, but I've lost 2 gargoyle fighters there to hellfire.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 02:09

Re: gargoyles and hellfire

Your main problem is going to the Elven Halls at all. I will solve both of your problems by telling you not to go there. This applies to characters that aren't gargoyles as well. The loot is tempting for sure, but in the vast majority of games there is nothing there that you need to win.

Though that should mostly solve your issue from the strategic side, there might be a elf high priest or two in depths or something as well. Good tactics can help you deal with hellfire (and smiting and similar attacks). Whenever possible, have them in LOS the least amount possible. Abuse corners, use scrolls of fog in emergencies, and so on. Kill them at range if you have the option (you usually do, wands or elemental evokers are good for this and really for anything that gives you trouble).

To answer your question about where to go after the lair branches, usually Vaults is pretty manageable by that point. It is in general a step up in difficulty from the lair branches, but in my experience you are probably ready if you have already handled two rune vaults.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks:
Quazifuji

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 03:04

Here's how you survive hellfire in elf:3
  Code:
(elves)
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
#@#

Code:
q- wand of disintigration

{V}{q}{u}{u}{V}{q}{n}{n}
{y}{b}[t}{t}{u}{n}
  Code:
(elves)
# #
#e#
#e#
# #
#e###
#e#e#
# e#@#
# ####

{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}
Oh they stopped coming?, *peeks* {y}{b}
nope still on the way, make noise {u}{n}
{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}

etc....
Last edited by Siegurt on Friday, 31st October 2014, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 5
cerebovssquire, pedant, Quazifuji, Sar, tedric

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 10:18

If I recall, hellfire isn't something that can be avoided or resisted in any way whatsoever. I could be misremembering, but I think it works like that. So basically, keep out their line of sight or hit them hard and fast.

With regards to where to go after the Lair branches ones are done, as an above poster said, the Vaults are your next bet. Assuming you've fully explored the main dungeon and have cleared out the Orcish Mines already. The Elven Halls, I tend to save until the endgame, when I'm putting off getting the orb. I wouldn't call it unnecessary or needlessly risky, but I think things like your build might strongly disincentivise you to go there.

So... that's not actually much in the way of advice, now that I think about it. My usual trick is to just be tough enough to weather it, but I think it's suicide to expect that from a gargoyle.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 10:39

Elves don't have rHellfire. Being next to them is a good defence,if they do hellfire, then they kill themselves. when encountering a single elf then lure it around a corner, if it's the end vault the follow Siegurt's instuction.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 10:46

Except replace {z} with {V} because this isn't nethack.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 16:56

Bloax wrote:Except replace {z} with {V} because this isn't nethack.

Good point, fixed :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 31st October 2014, 18:25

Minor things to remember dealing with hellfire in Elf:3:

Deep Elf High Priest WILL blast you with a hellfire burst, even if you are next to it. That guy doesn't care if he commits a suicide doing so even though his hellfire is smite-targeted.

Deep Elf Sorcerer WILL NEVER use it's hellfire attack if you are next to it. He needs a clear LOS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st November 2014, 16:06

I have a 100% foolproof method to never die to hellfire in elf:3

don't go there!

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, RBrandon

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 17:55

crate wrote:I have a 100% foolproof method to never die to hellfire in elf:3

don't go there!

That's like the 100% foolproof method of never dying in dungeon crawl!

Don't play dungeon crawl!

Useful advice!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 18:10

On the other hand, you can't win the game without playing it, but you can win without going to Elf 3.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 18:37

Jeremiah wrote:On the other hand, you can't win the game without playing it, but you can win without going to Elf 3.

On the other hand, you can also easily meet hellfiring elves in the Vaults (yes, yes, you can win without going to Vaults as well). Also, on the orb run various hellfiring demon dudes can appear.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 19:25

If the topic was "How do I win without getting killed by hellfire in elf 3" then yes, don't go to elf would be excellent advice.
And "Don't go to elf" is good advice in relation to his second question, where to go after 2 lair branches.

But to answer the question "How do I survive hellfire as a gargoyle", "Don't go to elf" is more dodging the question than answering it. Plus the second post of this topic already said that, but with actual detail and useful content.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 20:09

damiac wrote:But to answer the question "How do I survive hellfire as a gargoyle", "Don't go to elf" is more dodging the question than answering it.

OK, so a better answer is "get hellfired less often."

There's nothing magically different about this than getting nailed by yaktaurs or fire giants, except that resistances and EV and AC don't help so you need to rely on positioning and line of sight more. Once you can do that with hellfiring monsters, you'll have an easier time dealing with monsters with other ranged attacks because the same tactics work well.

Remember in particular that very very few monsters have smite-targeted hellfire, so summons and other monsters are great. Also the digging trick listed earlier in this post, which is kind of the extreme case of 'corners'.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
damiac, Quazifuji

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 21:21

If you do not know how to deal with hellfire attacks then do not do the Elf, then.
You're gonna have deal with that in Zot:1-5 where there are similar draconians as DE high priests and DE sorcerers.

Elf branch has the problem of having -cTele, draconians have that advantage only in Zot:5. Of course you will be more powerful then, yeah, without a question.
Elf:3 has a loot for a reason. Siegurt already told how it should be dealt with.

If you do lack elf-kit (MR+++, rElec, somewhat high AC or EV and highly damaging melee or ranged attacks) then forget it.

When you learn how to deal with hellfire, you will learn that doing the place with 'elf-kit' your biggest concern isn't hellfire. It is annihilators.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 21:45

I think not having rElec is fine if your EV is alright.

Also "physical" vault elves can be very dangerous (archers, blademasters).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 21:48

Why rElec for elf3? It's been a bit since I've done elf, admittedly, but I don't recall having any special need for rElec there. Just lots of MR, AC, EV, and KillDudes

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 22:05

Annihilators have lightning bolt and if they use it in a killhole it has a potential to hit twice?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
damiac

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 22:08

Well, rElec is pretty good there if I'm concerning giving advice for somewhat novice players. As in OP:s case, gargoyle, yes it does not make much sense.

But.. No one of us wants to write 'Complete Elf Guide' here, so..

I'll give up.

Just don't do fucking Elf. Okay? It kills you.

I will do it. In almost every game. It has killed me two or three times but I still fucking do it. I've had game-changing loot more often than disappointment.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 22:18

I've been banished every time I've tried Elf. My recommendation is get a damn amulet of stasis.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
~380,000 (with wrapper on)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd November 2014, 22:24

McGeekster wrote:I've been banished every time I've tried Elf. My recommendation is get a damn amulet of stasis.

Stasis doesn't affect banishment.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 04:50

McGeekster wrote:I've been banished every time I've tried Elf. My recommendation is get a damn amulet of stasis.

I feel like Abyss 1 is possibly less dangerous than Elf 3 for a lot of characters anyway. I also haven't been banished in Elf in ages, but maybe I've just been lucky. It's definitely worth equipping MR items if you have them, but I don't think banishment is the biggest threat in Elf 3.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 10:55

I always do Elf, because it's fun. I don't remember dying there, but I'm sure I have many years ago. Annihilators are the most frightening elves imo. Misc evokables are great in there, I especially enjoy spamming sacks of spiders.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 16:19

Part of elf's danger is they're so squishy you feel like it's easy, until suddenly you're dead. By the time you're ready for elf, you should be ready for abyss, at least, that's when I start considering it. (So maybe after clearing depths)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 16:24

Depths/Vaults can contain the same monsters as Elf can, but without Convokers/Wardens/Ancient Liches/Titans/Rakshasas etc. Elf is much easier than Vaults/Depths IMHO.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 17:35

Well, no blademasters or master archers in depths/vaults, at least that I can recall.

But that's true, those other areas have gotten more difficult over time (Depths used to be just more dungeon) so elf may not be as deadly, relative to other sections of the game, as it used to be.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
Sandman25

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 18:19

I've not died to Elves on any character since I started doing the killhole trick.
If you are concerned about the lightning bolts - instead of breaking only one tile behind yourself, use a wand of digging (if you won't open an entrace behind your character that is).
Some of the Elf3 vaults will allow for it, others not so much.
But killhole is definitely the name of the game.
It even works for Chei characters. (be very careful though....)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 18:27

damiac wrote:Well, no blademasters or master archers in depths/vaults, at least that I can recall.

But that's true, those other areas have gotten more difficult over time (Depths used to be just more dungeon) so elf may not be as deadly, relative to other sections of the game, as it used to be.

Actually I have seen blademasters and master archers in Depths 5, not sure if they might have been placed by a vault rather than as standard dungeon generation.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 00:42

If you have decent offence and Silence at okay spellpower, Elf:3 is very doable. The main theats are blademaster/archers because then it's much harder for you to escape. Most high level elves will walk into a flame cloud, you can set one up outside the hidey-hole you have and kill them more easily that way. I think all high level levels and elf knights will walk into flame clouds.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 01:24

Blademasters/archers don't see invisible so Silence + Invisibility is a great combo there. Decent stealth helps to see what monsters we are going to fight so enchanters may find Elf easier than Snake.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 01:30

imo silence is not a great combo against monsters with no spells

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th November 2014, 01:33

Have you read second sentence of my post?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 21:02

I just rolled through elf with a FoFi, I had so much MR that when I took off a MR++ gloves, I still had max MR on the character screen. I had RC++, RF++, good AC, decent EV, and a vamp triple sword. And I just dug myself a killhole and yelled a lot.

It was hilariously easy, however it would not have been if I had just charged into the treasure vault.

I got a couple of nice rings and spellbooks, so it was definitely worth it for this character. Ended up ascending with 3 runes anyway, Fo's are always just 1 bad encounter from death with their stasis, so I grabbed the win when I could.

This relates to the OP somehow, I assure you. Oh... I got hellfired a couple times when I wasn't in a killhole... so... if you must clear elf, make a killhole and have lots of resistances and what not.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice