Can you show all/true damage?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 18th September 2014, 05:03

Can you show all/true damage?

I there an option to show all the damage you get, in numbers? I keep dieing when I take less damage than I have renaming HP for.

Last game I had 29 HP (full health) and took a 19 damage hit and died. Either damage/HP is not being factored correctly or there is mystery damage that doesn't show.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LawndartJedi/morgue-LawndartJedi-20140918-043943.txt
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
●→ Wins: MiFi,MiGl DsFi HoBe DDHu DECj DrCj ←●
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th September 2014, 05:23

Re: Can you show all/true damage?

That message only includes the damage that kills you. In this case, it looks like the kobold hit you with the whip doing 10 damage, and then the distortion brand applied, doing another 19 damage.
The game will tell you how much damage you take if you compile it in debug mode (use "make debug")*. Otherwise, it won't. Note that debug mode also forces wizard mode and prints dozens of extra messages whenever you or a monster does something (although you can silence some but not all of them with &^q).

*yes, it has to be full debug mode, not debug-lite

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th September 2014, 05:24

Re: Can you show all/true damage?

What's happening in that case is you're suffering multiple bits of damage, and what shows up at the top is the final blow that killed you.

Here's the chunk of messages from the end of your game:
  Code:
You start waiting.
The kobold shouts!
The kobold hits you but does no damage. Space bends around you.
You barely miss the kobold.
The kobold hits you with a whip of distortion.
Space warps horribly around you!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

Assuming you waited at the start and got all the way to your max hps before you started your combat with the kobold You have:

The kobold hits you but does no damage. Space bends around you.

The first part "The kobold hits you but does no damage." seems fairly self explanitory, the kobold's whip hit you, but not hard enough to do damage, but the second part "Space bends around you." Lets me know you took the smaller of the two types of damage from a distortion weapon. This particular attack does 1+((2d7)/2) damage, max damage of 7 points, min 1, average 4. You now have somwhere between 22 and 29 hps, probably 23 or 24

Then you swing and miss the kobold:

You barely miss the kobold.

Then the kobold takes another whack at you:

The kobold hits you with a whip of distortion.
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

This time the kobold's whip does some damage, whips are d6, and monsters add their own intrinsic damage to the max damage done, for kobolds that's 4.

This means you are taking between 0-10 damage from the whip proper, you'll subtract a number between 0 and your AC from that damage, but we know that you ended up with exactly 19 hps after the whip did it's damage (so perhaps it did 7 damage, and you subtracted 2 from AC, and so you took 5 and you had 24 previously)

The reason we know you had exactly 19 hit points is because the next thing that happens is this:

Code:
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

That's the more major distortion branded-damage, it does 3+(2d24/2) so from 3 to 26 damage, average of 15. we know it did 19 damage, because that's what's shown in your morgue
Began as a Human Fighter on Sept 18, 2014.
Slain by a kobold
... wielding a +0 whip of distortion
(19 damage)
... on Level 2 of the Dungeon.

and you ended up with exactly 0 hps:
LawndartJedi the Slasher (Human Fighter) Turns: 1241, Time: 00:02:58

HP 0/29

The game does show you when you are below 0 hps, and it only shows you the *damage source* that killed you.

I think what you would like it if you could see the total damage of the entire monster's attack, because it seems like the weapon damage is one "attack" not two, however there's no distinction between the additional damage from a brand and any other secondary attack during a monster's turn.

So really it becomes what happens during the entirety of a monster's "turn" but that's not something that's currently kept track of.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice