Scroll of acquirement Q

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 20:32

Scroll of acquirement Q

When should I use it? My current character is XL10, and I think it's too early, but I don't really know.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 20:49

Re: Scroll of acquirement Q

Early in the game is when new items are most likely to boost your power. I would use acquirement as soon as I found it.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks:
Aule

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 21:18

Almost the only time I don't use it immediately is if I'm feeling very strong in Lair, find it there, and want to look at the Orc shops first.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
Aule

Barkeep

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 21:59

There are a few circumstances where it's good to wait. If you're a Trog bro and you find an early acquirement, it might be a good idea to ID a few more wands to make it more likely to get Haste or HW. If you're a Vehumet bro it might be a good idea to train spellcasting above your spell schools (if possible) to make it more likely to grab a staff of energy.

But for a lot of characters, you just want to use it ASAP.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Aule

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 22:00

Use it now, and use it on a weapon.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 2
Aule, Lasty

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 22:30

I'm not sure I would call a staff of energy a desirable acquirement result myself.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Aule, Lasty

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 23:07

Sar wrote:I'm not sure I would call a staff of energy a desirable acquirement result myself.

I ended up using it on jewelry, got an artefact amulet that had a +Rage and -2 Int. Pfft. Character's dead anyway.

Thanks all for the advice. Next one gets read without question. :)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 00:24

Jewellery acquirement is sort of awful. Wands are probably the most popular choice, as it's weighted towards the 3 good ones (haste, heal wounds, tele). Weapon acquirement is great if you don't have a good weapon and don't follow a gifting god. Armour can be okay too (and is great if you're a Naga or a Centaur, as it has something like 50% chance to give you a barding if you don't have one).

But the best acquirement is food acquirement - but only for Fedhas followers!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 08:18

Never ever wait reading it. You're XL10! Any immediate boost is welcome.

Wand is usually the best choice at least for a character XL10. "What to acquire" is universally too long topic to me write here. Just check your stuff and think what you MIGHT need at the moment if you happen to have all the top tier wands (not likely).
I cannot remember how many times i have got Wand of Heal Wounds via acquirement.
It can always be a disappointment, everyone knows that. But more often than not you will get a significant boost to your game.

And for you people who save acq-scrolls for POSSIBLE treasure trove.. (i've seen this a number of times) that's not good gameplay.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
Aule

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 10:37

Weapon acquirement probably has the best chance of giving you a good item. However, two good weapons is not more useful than one good weapon, whereas even if wand acquirement gives you something like a second wand of fire it's still useful.

Those are generally the best acquirements. Armour is ok, staff is decent (or very good for Trog chars) if you want something else.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
Aule, duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 5th July 2014, 12:23

+Rage is a very good property early on (even at XL10) - unless you're a Troglodyte.
Since XL10 suggests that you haven't even mutilated Lair yet, and lair isn't known for having enemies that Mark you, summon big demons while casting very damaging spells or recall and might other monsters which is just about where the slowness post-berserk might be very undesirable.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks:
Aule

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 10:01

TRoglodyte => staff acquirement => 100% chance get rod => train evoc => win ?

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 14:08

As long as they don't change the artefact-acquirement mechanisms Wand sure is the way to go.
This is kind of off topic, but what really prevents the devs from making artefacts... better? On my current character I had one amulet, one ring and one cloak (two of them were acquired, had wand of heal and tele, but no jewelerry), and all of them would have been crippling with my character. What's the point of a "rare" artefact, if you're way better off with some random junk you found on the 50th Orc you just slaughtered? *endofrant*

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 14:11

Snaaty wrote:As long as they don't change the artefact-acquirement mechanisms Wand sure is the way to go.
This is kind of off topic, but what really prevents the devs from making artefacts... better? On my current character I had one amulet, one ring and one cloak (two of them were acquired, had wand of heal and tele, but no jewelerry), and all of them would have been crippling with my character. What's the point of a "rare" artefact, if you're way better off with some random junk you found on the 50th Orc you just slaughtered? *endofrant*

http://xkcd.com/1114/ (this has already been posted in some other thread)

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 14:28

Bloax wrote:+Rage is a very good property early on (even at XL10) - unless you're a Troglodyte.
Since XL10 suggests that you haven't even mutilated Lair yet, and lair isn't known for having enemies that Mark you, summon big demons while casting very damaging spells or recall and might other monsters which is just about where the slowness post-berserk might be very undesirable.

I respectfully disagree.

Rage* can lead to situations (if you aren't intending to be "red faced" occasionally by worshiping Trog already) where you end up helpless to stop it and come out of it before your enemies are dead, slowed and exhausted and possibly starving. I am not saying its the worst property to get but it is not a no-brainer when considering what to wear early on. Rage+ on the other hand can be quite useful if you know when and where to activate it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:11

I always do Armour acquirement, but I always end up with either a shield, or something for the only alt slot that I've actually already occupied with the only amazing artefact I'd found so far.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:39

Hopeless wrote:*Rage can lead to situations (if you aren't intending to be "red faced" occasionally by worshiping Trog already) where you end up helpless to stop it and come out of it before your enemies are dead, slowed and exhausted and possibly starving. I am not saying its the worst property to get but it is not a no-brainer when considering what to wear early on. Rage+ on the other hand can be quite useful if you know when and where to activate it.

Aule wrote:got an artefact amulet that had a +Rage and -2 Int. Pfft.

+Rage isn't *Rage, silly; +Rage is evocable berserk, which can be handy at times - *Rage is randomly triggering berserk and is definitely not a good property.

And reading your post you also state that +Rage is good, so why do you respectfully disagree that +Rage is an occasionally good property, again? o _O
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hopeless

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:44

Bloax wrote:+Rage isn't *Rage, silly; +Rage is evocable berserk, which can be handy at times

An artefact amulet of +Rage, -2 Int is less useful than the generic Amulet of Rage, which has a greater chance of being (or having already been at XL10) found.

I believe the simple concept of receiving an ARTEFACT amulet that is simply a less useful version of the more common, generic equivalent is where the disappointment resides.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 19:48

Well, the other good thing about wand acquirement is that most wands (even duplicates) will make your character stronger, even if you fail to get the best ones.

Everyone already covered the best options for various situations. I'd only add that one shouldn't forget gold acquirement if you have found some great stuff in a shop that you cannot afford yet.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Bloax

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 9th July 2014, 00:26

Best use of scroll of Acq is to hurl it at your foes.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th July 2014, 18:50

Bloax wrote:
Hopeless wrote:*Rage can lead to situations (if you aren't intending to be "red faced" occasionally by worshiping Trog already) where you end up helpless to stop it and come out of it before your enemies are dead, slowed and exhausted and possibly starving. I am not saying its the worst property to get but it is not a no-brainer when considering what to wear early on. Rage+ on the other hand can be quite useful if you know when and where to activate it.

+Rage isn't *Rage, silly; +Rage is evocable berserk, which can be handy at times - *Rage is randomly triggering berserk and is definitely not a good property.

And reading your post you also state that +Rage is good, so why do you respectfully disagree that +Rage is an occasionally good property, again? o _O

This may be a case of one of us reading the wrong symbol in front of the word. * vs +. The thanks purely accidental.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 10th July 2014, 00:47

Hopeless wrote:
Bloax wrote:

This may be a case of one of us reading the wrong symbol in front of the word. * vs +. The thanks purely accidental.

I knew the difference between *Rage and +Rage, but I was just saying that for my wiz, the occasional usefulness of +Rage was not nearly enough to offset the -2 Int. Given that those were the only two mods, it was, for that character, pfft.

Don't really understand the argument, otherwise.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th July 2014, 01:23

personally I'd trade 2 int for +rage on every single character who doesn't worship trog, unless I have 2 int or less (since even though berserk is really good it's not going to outweigh brainlessness).

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th July 2014, 09:54

*Rage is randomly triggering berserk and is definitely not a good property.

*Rage is often a neutral or even beneficial property and its only negative facet tends to be that you should remember you have it while you plan your actions, which is a chore.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice