a few beginner questions.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 18:10

a few beginner questions.

Hey guys,
I m playing the game since a while and the wiki has been very helpful but I still have a few questions and would be glad if anyone could help me out.

1. I m playing a Mountain Dwarf of Okawaru, so far I ve put every stat point on STR.
Should I put some on DEX and INT as well?

2. Is there an easy way to tell how much damage a weapon does?
As far as I understand it depends on many factors and a bit of calculation is needed but is there any faster easier way?

3. I ve noticed that a few scrolls of enchantments had no effect.
Can I use Scroll of Enchantment 1 several times or do I need to use them in order?
Like first the Scroll of Enchantment 1 and after that Scroll of enchantment 2 and then 3.

4. Another thing I m not sure about is I have a +5 +5 dwarven flail, Accuracy Rating +2 Damage Rating 9.
Does the +5 +5 mean its actually Accuracy Rating +7 and Damage Rating 14?

5. What exactly is the Base Attack Delay.

Help would be appreciated.
Began as a Mountain Dwarf Fighter on May 11, 2011.
Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
Forgot to breathe

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 18:35

Re: a few beginner questions.

1. You typically want to bring any stat that is below 8 up to 8 first. This basically rules out stat death (dying as a result of a stat hitting 0) as the biggest stat drain is -7, I believe.

After that, you only want to pump what you are actually using. If you are not using magic at all and just heavy weapons and armor, put everything into strength. If you use magic at all, just pump Int.

3. After a weapon hits +4, you begin having a chance of enchantment failing. Doesn't matter what order you use them in, you're just going to have a failure rate after +4.

5. http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... tack_delay / http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... apon_Speed
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

For this message the author smeej has received thanks:
souldog

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 19:16

2. There is no way to easily tell how much damage you are doing, all that really matters is that you do more damage than you take.
If you are taking more damage than you give out then you have a problem.

4. Yes that is how it works but theres alot more that goes into Damage output than that.

@Smeej I remember playing the game that you reference in your Sig but i forgot what it was called....

For this message the author omndra has received thanks:
souldog

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 20:47

Shadowgate - The point and click adventure game where you die over and over again!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 03:21

smeej wrote:1. You typically want to bring any stat that is below 8 up to 8 first. This basically rules out stat death (dying as a result of a stat hitting 0) as the biggest stat drain is -7, I believe.

Just yesterday my Mountain Dwarf went from INT 6 to INT -4 within a dozen turns due to the tender ministrations of a pair of Orange Crystal Statues, so stat drain can reach -10.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 04:01

Ah, well I think it's to avoid the miscast effects mummies or whatever can put on you. I know -7 is a number that people have told me is bad, anyway.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 08:16

I think 7 is the worst stat drain that can happen with a single miscast. So 8 was important to avoid stat death when it was instantaneous, but now that you've got some turns to cure it, having 8 isn't as crucial as it used to be.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 23:58

thanks for the answers guys i appreciate it. :)
i have a last question.
while reading in the forum and the wiki i ve seen this pretty often "rPois, rF+, or rC+"
i ve searched a bit but i couldnt really find out exactly what it means.
Began as a Mountain Dwarf Fighter on May 11, 2011.
Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
Forgot to breathe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th May 2011, 00:07

Those are abbreviations for resistances, specifically poison, fire, and cold respectively. You'll also see rN+ for negative energy or draining attacks, rElec for electricity, and so on. Fire, cold, and negative energy resistances have three levels that provide progressively higher levels of protection, poison and electric resistance have just one level that covers most of the damage all by itself. Only three full levels of negative energy resistance gives 100% resistance to its element, the others will not be perfect.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
souldog

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice