Poison or Draining?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 02:45

Poison or Draining?

Which brand deals more damage on a short blade: poison or draining (to Yak for example)?
I don't understand how much damage poison deals to monster per turn and I think fsim does not take it into account.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 04:14

Re: Poison or Draining?

I was about to answer your question with general advice on brand choice when I realized who you were and thus how much you already probably know.

Let me take this moment to instead say that - on a fast speed weapon, just pick elec over draining. Loads and loads of zombies, mummies, and undead will be immune to your extra draining damage throughout the early game, whereas the elc will continue to proc on most enemies up to and including most of the Lair.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 05:13

Well that's great and all but the topic title was "poison or draining" not "whatever brand you want, or draining"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 05:48

Yes, I had only dagger of draining and dagger of poison. No electro, I would use it without any questions. While looking for electro, I equipped dagger of distortion but the question still remains for future characters, this one is dead anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 08:07

Draining does a set amount plus a percentage, generally it's worse off than a pure percentage based brand on a heavy weapon (It's worse than flaming/frost for example on anything with a base damage over about 14) and it's generally worse than all the flat damage brands (disto, elec, pain) on a fast weapon. It's usually better than vorpal.

Venom weapons add a levels of poison per hit, the amount of damage per round that a creature takes from poison depends on how poisoned they already are.

If P is how many levels of poison they've got on them then:
Henzell wrote: [If 50% chance: dam = 1d(P+1)]. [If P>=4: dam += 1]

Is how much damage they'll take per round (And each round the poisonedness goes down too)

So let's say you hit them 10 times with your poison weapon, and they lose one level every round They'll take:
(1+11/4)+(1+10/4)+(1+9/4)+(1+8/4)+(1+7/4)+(1+6/4)+(1+5/4)+3/4+2/4
(or 22.25 damage on average, or 2.225 bonus damage per hit.)

The more times you hit something with a poison attack the more damage it will take on each of it's actions (So poison is more effective on a fast weapon, and more effective on slow creatures, and creatures with more hps, since you can stack more of it on them without it wearing off)

fsim does not account for the poison brand.

Also most insects are vulnerable to poison (Will take roughly triple damage from it) also it's nice to be able to walk away while the thing continues dying.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 12:23

I dont have any hard numbers, but I can say with certainty that poison really begins to lose its flair once you get up to yaks and draining seems to cut them down faster, keeping its usefullness at least until you start running into undead heavy level of D. For weaker monsters, it doesnt really make a significant difference, but I always preferred poison in case you have to run away (or if the monster blinks).

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 13:16

Thanks, everyone! So it seems like draining is better overall.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 15:27

I just pick poison, because I know what to wait from it and I don't have to think about exp loss(don't know what it is, but like to get all of the exp :))

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 15:45

You don't have to think about XP loss while using draining either because it's not significant enough to be worth thinking about.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 17:08

I've heard about that, but it's about the perfection. I want ALL of the exp to be mine

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 17:12

Amnesiac wrote:I've heard about that, but it's about the perfection. I want ALL of the exp to be mine

Would you stop using Fire Storm if you knew that Fire Vortexes decrease your XP? ;)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 17:18

Sandman25 wrote:
Amnesiac wrote:I've heard about that, but it's about the perfection. I want ALL of the exp to be mine

Would you stop using Fire Storm if you knew that Fire Vortexes decrease your XP? ;)

I' ve learned that Amnesiac does a lot of weird things that are not recommended for anybody else :D

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 17:32

Sandman25 wrote:

Whaat, they do? :D If that's a "what if" question, then yes, I would use Ice storm, instead. Or if it's too late I would learn some other high level spell
Magipi wrote:I' ve learned that Amnesiac does a lot of weird things that are not recommended for anybody else :D

so it seems

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 20:50

You keep using that word, but I dont think it means what you think it means. The word you are looking for is 'borderline obsessive compulsive'. :?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 21:04

sometimes I organize every item in the dungeon at the temple, by tipe, in alphabetical order. how would you call that?
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 21:37

eugh

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 22:52

IDK... If you can get more exp - why not?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 00:01

god damn every post in this thread hurts to read

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Lasty

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 18:28

duvessa wrote:god damn every post in this thread hurts to read
dck wrote:eugh

So... is Duvessa the same person as Dck?

Anyway, you guys have an opinion on the actual topic? Because I've asked myself the same question on occasion, and would love to see what the seasoned veteran(s) have to say. Feel free to inject as many insults as you need to make posting worthwhile to you.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 23:26

I think the "eugh" was directed to my post specifically.
Duvessa is Donald in disguise. he hates that. :lol:
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice