Underappreciated spells

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 14:26

Underappreciated spells

1)Cigotuvi's Degeneration. The wiki says this one is worthless, and even goes as far as suggesting polymorph other as a replacement. The differences between the two is that degeneration will turn a threat into a nonthreatening lump of flesh, polymorph other will turn a threat into a quicksilver dragon, and then into an orb of fire, and then into Cerebov because fuck you.

Anyone got anymore?

For this message the author ghend has received thanks:
XuaXua

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 16:25

Re: Underappreciated spells

Lee's Rapid Deconstruction. Variously accused of being underpowered or something, but I cleared Elf, Pan and most of the Hells with it a few games ago.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 16:45

Sure Blade : really helps with your short blade wielders.

Too bad the Crawl Wiki doesn't list any specifics. :cry:
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 16:46

joellercoaster wrote:Lee's Rapid Deconstruction. Variously accused of being underpowered or something, but I cleared Elf, Pan and most of the Hells with it a few games ago.

First time i saw my brother use this my jaw dropped. I still don't get why it's underpowered. Earliest smite targetting in the game that i can think of and really great damage for such a spell.

Really i think there's a lot of underused or under appreciated spells. The big name spells are too easy to get so people don't experiment with others. Most the Tm guides when i started suggested skipping spider form and getting sticks to snakes. I rarely touch sticks to snakes and love spider form. I think it's a much more common spell now(it's obviously lacking endgame) but early on it's basically an I win button until you get ice form, and then it's a wonderful way to run away.

I'd say a lot of the middle level spells that keep you going and wind up being replaced are very overlooked it this game.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 17:02

minmay wrote:LRD was semi-recently buffed. It did almost no damage before 0.8.

I'm talking .7. I mean the damage isn't amazing but it's so easy to kite targets and use it to snipe fragile mages.

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 18:59

Eji1700 wrote:
joellercoaster wrote:Lee's Rapid Deconstruction. Variously accused of being underpowered or something, but I cleared Elf, Pan and most of the Hells with it a few games ago.

First time i saw my brother use this my jaw dropped. I still don't get why it's underpowered. Earliest smite targetting in the game that i can think of and really great damage for such a spell.

Really i think there's a lot of underused or under appreciated spells. The big name spells are too easy to get so people don't experiment with others. Most the Tm guides when i started suggested skipping spider form and getting sticks to snakes. I rarely touch sticks to snakes and love spider form. I think it's a much more common spell now(it's obviously lacking endgame) but early on it's basically an I win button until you get ice form, and then it's a wonderful way to run away.

I'd say a lot of the middle level spells that keep you going and wind up being replaced are very overlooked it this game.

Spider form is awesome. It allowed me to win my first time (with a FeCr).

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 23:37

XuaXua wrote:Sure Blade : really helps with your short blade wielders.

Too bad the Crawl Wiki doesn't list any specifics. :cry:

The bots give some specifics.
Henzell wrote:+5 to accuracy, and then an additional bonus of +dur/2 or something close to +5 again, depending. Pretty close to +10 usually. Note, if you ever get it to light blue (long duration), then it is _more_ powerful.

In practice this means, every hit counts. It's only unappreciated by anyone yet to try it. ;)

Hmm... I'll contribute shock. It's very versatile for a level 1 attack spell, but there's a lot of hate out for it because it doesn't have the guaranteed accuracy of magic dart, and since it takes some finesse to use effectively.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 00:15

mageykun wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Hmm... I'll contribute shock. It's very versatile for a level 1 attack spell, but there's a lot of hate out for it because it doesn't have the guaranteed accuracy of magic dart, and since it takes some finesse to use effectively.

I bet that hate some from people who have tried AE and died really quickly because they use shock too much like they would use magic dart. On D1, shock seems weaker than magic dart because it misses and sometimes you just need to kill a single hobgoblin without getting into melee range. MD is better at that. After gaining a few levels in conjuration or air magic, shock begins to feel a whole lot stronger.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 02:45

Eji1700 wrote:

Spider form gives you an amazing EV bonus. I find it difficult to keep my Tm's alive in melee but this has helped me out a lot.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 13:34

Waywinkle wrote:Spider form gives you an amazing EV bonus. I find it difficult to keep my Tm's alive in melee but this has helped me out a lot.

Dying in Spider Form makes your ghost impossible to hit. Time to start a DDNe and get Dispel Undead up real fast...
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 14:55

Ghostbusters are great 8)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice