Skill Training as an OgBe

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 06:21

Skill Training as an OgBe

Playing an ogre berserker. After getting M&F to 22 for min weapon delay with GSC's, should I turn M&F off? What should I be focussing on after 22 M&F?

And on side notes, which is better between a GSC of speed vs a GSC of vampirism.
And my lack of defenses/resists mid game seem to always end my runs. Is there any work around for this? Thanks! :D

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 06:42

Re: Skill Training as an OgBe

spindart wrote:Playing an ogre berserker. After getting M&F to 22 for min weapon delay with GSC's, should I turn M&F off? What should I be focussing on after 22 M&F?

Turn off M&F forever. Focus on Dodging, Fighting and some Armour (for a decent dragon armour later on).
spindart wrote:And on side notes, which is better between a GSC of speed vs a GSC of vampirism.

I'd go for speed. Killing things quickly is to me preferable to being able to tank it for a while.
spindart wrote:And my lack of defenses/resists mid game seem to always end my runs. Is there any work around for this? Thanks! :D

Train Dodging early, put all your level up attributes into dex and get a not too heavy dragon armour later on.

For reference: this is the morgue the OgBe I've won with.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 07:32

GSC of vampirism makes you almost invincible before the extended game, so I'd use that.

Don't train armour yet until you get some real armour. In the meantime, better spend your extra xp on something else (other than the obvious choices like fighting and dodging); throwing is a good choice, and so is evo.

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
Sar

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 07:54

Thanks for all the advice! What is classified as a "not too heavy" dragon armour?

And what level throwing should I obtain to hit most of my targets with javelins/large rocks?

Thanks again!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 07:59

spindart wrote:Thanks for all the advice! What is classified as a "not too heavy" dragon armour?

And what level throwing should I obtain to hit most of my targets with javelins/large rocks?

Thanks again!

mottled, swamp, fire/ice/pearl (in most games, you probably will use fire, though in most games you would prefer to find pearl)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 08:09

spindart wrote:And what level throwing should I obtain to hit most of my targets with javelins/large rocks?

I usually stop training my throwing at around 5 for large rocks.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 13:37

I've pumped Throwing to very high levels on two ogres that I went on to ascend. When you do that, throwing is quite strong (though not as strong as GSC melee). With my most recent one, I made throwing my top priority used it as my almost-exclusive mode of damage dealing through Lair and Orc, though sometime around Lair Dith's shadow mimic kicked in.

Still, with that level of throwing, even lowly darts and tomahawks can do enough damage to take down dangerous early game enemies before they reach you, and javelins or large rocks can safely take out hydrae and death yaks.

By the late game, you pretty much want to only throw large rocks, with javelins for backup.

But yeah, if you've already got 22 M&F, getting decent Fighting, Dodging and Armour is a higher priority than Throwing, for certain.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 14:57

Yesterday I spectated OgAs with Throwing 24 and Demon Whip of Elec, I was surprised to see how effective were tomahawks vs most enemies. And penetrating javelins were great in hard battles. Definitely something I want to try with my next OgBe.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 16:44

Javelines of penetration are nice, but as an Orge/Troll there is no need in using them. Large rocks also have penetration and clear a hallway much more effectively.

Apart from that, I don't think training that much throwing is necessary. On my recent troll I had 10 throwing and the large rocks already were pretty insane. In fsim the average damage for large rocks is 17.3 (max 53) for skill level 10 and 21.0 (max 67) for level 27 (against stone giant).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 17:15

Large rocks are very heavy, my Tr was running out of them in every serious battle.
Having 17 javelins of penetration, 30+ tomahawks, 3 javelins of returning means you can prefer to kill almost everything (except Stone Giants nearby) with thrown weapons, at least this is what I spectated. No need to be adjacent changes play style a lot.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice