Trog Troll faced with tricky situation - thoughts?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 22:18

Trog Troll faced with tricky situation - thoughts?

Troll of Trog. I haven't identified teleport scrolls/wands, blink scroll, potion of hasting or whatever. Just descended to a new floor, and found an interesting situation. I think the entrance to the Lair is to the right (the trees) and that's why there are so many creatures here. All three stairs have generated together, too, which is pretty unfortunate. I'm debating

a) Using Brothers in Arms a few times then running away (or fighting);
b) Running away to the north-west;
c) Going back upstairs, finding the escape hatch down, using it and hoping
d) Stair dance very carefully. Maybe this is the obvious solution, but I'm wary of pulling huge groups. I thought I could move to the south-east, try and pull the hill giant and yaks, and go from there? And just hope I survive...

I can't really see any other plans, given the items I have. Thoughts? Apologies if this is obvious, but I'm far more used to tanky melee characters than a troll, so I'm not sure what the best play here is.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 22:30

Re: Trog Troll faced with tricky situation - thoughts?

Take the staircase to your left upstairs, kill the two yaks that come up with you, rest up fully, go invisible, call a brother in arms (or two if you get a lame bro), take them downstairs, berserk, beat the enemies up and be sure not to be in the basilisk's line of fire. Maybe this is a bad plan but it's probably what I would do.
And probably use-ID some of those scrolls - I don't see any fog, fear, teleport, or blink and those are staple ass-savers.

For this message the author some12fat2move has received thanks:
UltimaRatioRegum

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 22:53

some12fat2move wrote:Take the staircase to your left upstairs, kill the two yaks that come up with you, rest up fully, go invisible, call a brother in arms (or two if you get a lame bro), take them downstairs, berserk, beat the enemies up and be sure not to be in the basilisk's line of fire. Maybe this is a bad plan but it's probably what I would do.
And probably use-ID some of those scrolls - I don't see any fog, fear, teleport, or blink and those are staple ass-savers.

Worked perfectly, though when I went down the stairs afterwards there were 4 crocodiles waiting, all of whom got pulled and reduced me to 10hp by the time I got back up. Got lucky with a scroll of fear and managed to escape! Use-ID time...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 23:01

You have 5 unknown scrolls, I'm guessing they're ID. Use ID scrolls on potions the read ID the other scrolls, if prompt for an item choose your wand of healing and hope for recharge (better charge that wand than +1 your robe).

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 21st September 2013, 18:48

I'm glad you survived, but any strategy that brought you down to 10 HP should not be described as having "worked," rather, you got very lucky pulling off something that you shouldn't have done unless you had literally no other option. With AC and EV that low, in particular, stair dancing more than once (to pull up those couple of Yaks and take them out) was extremely risky. I would have taken out the Yaks, then ID all those damn scrolls (Having lots of scrolls not ID by D12 is really really bad and you just saw why), and then reassess once I knew what all of my options were.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 22nd September 2013, 15:01

and into wrote:I'm glad you survived, but any strategy that brought you down to 10 HP should not be described as having "worked," rather, you got very lucky pulling off something that you shouldn't have done unless you had literally no other option. With AC and EV that low, in particular, stair dancing more than once (to pull up those couple of Yaks and take them out) was extremely risky. I would have taken out the Yaks, then ID all those damn scrolls (Having lots of scrolls not ID by D12 is really really bad and you just saw why), and then reassess once I knew what all of my options were.

Well I said to go up with the yaks, then go down with invisibility and brothers in arms. I never said anything about going up again...
But of course my plan might not have been so great in the first place so whatever.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 22nd September 2013, 15:08

he's alive and he's experienced some adventures - double win

Barkeep

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 01:25

some12fat2move wrote:Well I said to go up with the yaks, then go down with invisibility and brothers in arms. I never said anything about going up again...
But of course my plan might not have been so great in the first place so whatever.

Yes, good point. I don't think that would necessarily have been a bad plan, if s/he first IDed all the scrolls (as you advised, but for some reason it sounds like OP IDed everything afterward...)

Amnesiac wrote:he's alive and he's experienced some adventures - double win

But if you want to keep having adventures, you have to ID your consumables. It isn't just good for survival, it is also more fun to make use of them, especially in creative ways, while you are adventuring.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice