Friar

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 12:19

Friar

While playing a GrFi stumpling over a quarterstaff of chaos I remembered a class from DAoC. The Friar. This is a sort of staff using melee caster hybrid class wearing robes and using buffs and debuff spells to support themselves.
Which background/race/god combo of DCSS would bear the nearest resemblance to this?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 12:57

Re: Friar

Sounds exactly like a skald.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 13:35

Depends on what you mean. Gladiator is the only background currently that starts with a quarterstaff. Elyvilon is the only way to get D&D style cleric healing abilities (though there are tons of other ways to heal in crawl, like resting over time). Skald as mentioned start with some buff spells. None of these particularly requires robes, though robes will help getting spells castable initially.

So eventually you'll want to be a quarterstaff wielding, Elyvilon worshipping, melee dude who can cast a bunch of Charms. Perfectly reasonable build, but not something you can start with I'm afraid.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 16:41

I think priests of Zin as starting class are maybe removed or going to be removed, but don't they start with Quarterstaff? If so you probably just roll that, either stick with Zin or switch to Elyvilon, since both are "good / holy" gods they don't mind if you switch amongst them. Branch out into charms when it makes sense to, damn near every character does that anyway :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 16:47

Yeah, priest of Zin/Beogh is gone as a starting class in 0.13.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 20:02

The scald is indeed the class coming nearest to the friar idea. It even have most of the right spells in the starting book. Now the puzzle goes to find the right species and gods for it.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 21st September 2013, 09:18

I would take a High Elf (great magical apts, and +-0 Staves, which seems to still be one of the best ;), also +1 Inv), Gargoyle, which has acceptable apts and can make much use out of that healing because you usually take less damage, but also have a small HP pool, or, if it does not have to be a staff, a Merfolk Skald wielding spears.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice