Better way to kill hell lords?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 14:56

Better way to kill hell lords?

Damn, got my character (the one in this post:https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8537) killed in Hell. I think I made a poor decision by charging straight into Asmodeus thinking 3 hasted angels plus my character would be enough. I could have used teleport scroll sooner or cast silence to prevent him to summon demons.

I wonder if 'luring' hell&pan lords be a good option? When I opened the gate in Gehenna:7, there was two brimstone fiend besides Asmodeus. Maybe I should have cast haste on myself and fall back, so that the fiends and Asmodeus follow me?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:05

Re: Better way to kill hell lords?

Asmodeus, like all other demons, is immune to silence.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:16

So what could I have done instead? If there's no way to stop his summoning (besides abjuration) should I have lured him into some kind of a narrow spot?

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:20

Fighting two fiends and a Hell Lord is absolutely a bad idea. You should lure any enemy away from the Hell Lord, especially something as deadly as Brimstone Fiends. You had no chance taking them all on at once. I wouldn't even fight two Brimstone Fiends WITHOUT Asmodeus unless I had no other option (or Ice storm).

Lesson learned. Sucks you had to learn it so late on such a promising character.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:22

nordetsa wrote:So what could I have done instead? If there's no way to stop his summoning (besides abjuration) should I have lured him into some kind of a narrow spot?

He doesn't summon. Those fiends just accompany him, but he can't actually summon anything.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:24

diviton wrote:Fighting two fiends and a Hell Lord is absolutely a bad idea. You should lure any enemy away from the Hell Lord, especially something as deadly as Brimstone Fiends. You had no chance taking them all on at once. I wouldn't even fight two Brimstone Fiends WITHOUT Asmodeus unless I had no other option (or Ice storm).

Lesson learned. Sucks you had to learn it so late on such a promising character.

But doesn't running away from fiends makes you exposed to their torment and other stuff?

Though I suppose under haste the chance of getting tormented/hellfire would be reduced.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:26

Last time I saw Asmodeus he summoned. There were also brimstone fiends accompanying him that were real, which should definitely be killed before you try anything.
I usually "kill" hell lords by using haste, walking to the rune, picking up the rune, and then teleporting.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:29

nordetsa wrote:
diviton wrote:Fighting two fiends and a Hell Lord is absolutely a bad idea. You should lure any enemy away from the Hell Lord, especially something as deadly as Brimstone Fiends. You had no chance taking them all on at once. I wouldn't even fight two Brimstone Fiends WITHOUT Asmodeus unless I had no other option (or Ice storm).

But doesn't running away from fiends makes you exposed to their torment and other stuff?

Though I suppose under haste the chance of getting tormented/hellfire would be reduced.

If you're in killing range then yes, its better to take them out, but you never should have been that close. As soon as it came in LOS you should lure it away.

And I'm almost certain Asmodeus can't summon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I think you're thinking of Cerebov who is much more dangerous IMO.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:32

some12fat2move wrote:Last time I saw Asmodeus he summoned. There were also brimstone fiends accompanying him that were real, which should definitely be killed before you try anything.
I usually "kill" hell lords by using haste, walking to the rune, picking up the rune, and then teleporting.

I did that with Lom Lobon, though I didn't think I could pull that off with 2 brimstone fiend And Asmodeus attacking me. Guess I gotta somehow separate those fiends before I could take down Asmodeus.

Anyway, another thing is the firestorm he casts. Should I spend a turn instead of attacking Asmodeus or move away from it? It is like a damned you do, damned you don't situation for me. You stay in Firestorm and you get damage. You move away in Firestorm and he'll either cast it again or you can't attack him because you moved away from it, especially now that you somehow managed to lure him into a tight spot.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:33

Bot says
Henzell wrote:Casts hellfire, and summons hellions, brimstone fiends, balrugs and assorted fiery popcorn. Guards the obsidian rune, and drops the Sceptre of Asmodeus when killed.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 15:34

diviton wrote:
nordetsa wrote:

If you're in killing range then yes, its better to take them out, but you never should have been that close. As soon as it came in LOS you should lure it away.

And I'm almost certain Asmodeus can't summon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I think you're thinking of Cerebov who is much more dangerous IMO.

Knowledge bot says Asmodeus summons 'hellions, brimstone fiends, balrugs and assorted fiery popcorn.'

Edit: Whoops, somebody had already made a post about it.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 16:04

diviton wrote:You should lure any enemy away from the Hell Lord, especially something as deadly as Brimstone Fiends.

I don't understand how this tactics can work in Hell. So you spot Asmodeus and the 2 fiends and you start retreating. But soon the Hell effects will summon a group of demons around you, most likely with another fiend among them. And now you have a fiend and some other demons blocking your retreat, another fiend following you, and if you are unlucky, yet another fiend and Asmodeus coming right behind.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd July 2013, 17:07

Hell effects can only occur every 20.0 turns, and in fact only on turns that are a multiple of 20.0

Quite often hell effects don't summon a bunch of dangerous enemies.

If you need to retreat for more than 40 turns from asmo + 2 fiends something went very very wrong.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
battaile

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 4th July 2013, 10:02

Magipi wrote:
diviton wrote:You should lure any enemy away from the Hell Lord, especially something as deadly as Brimstone Fiends.

I don't understand how this tactics can work in Hell. So you spot Asmodeus and the 2 fiends and you start retreating. But soon the Hell effects will summon a group of demons around you, most likely with another fiend among them. And now you have a fiend and some other demons blocking your retreat, another fiend following you, and if you are unlucky, yet another fiend and Asmodeus coming right behind.

Luring monsters away works pretty much the same in all areas of the game. Hell effects don't always summon demons and greater demons are actually in the minority of those summons. So your description of the mechanics of Hell effects is wrong and as you can see the opposite of luring, charging in, didn't work out too well even for a character that had TSO summons, blessed blade and +15 slaying (information from the other thread). Torment and hellfire are horrible if you face them in quantity from multiple sources with a melee character several tiles away from the tormentors/hellfirerers you are supposed to be killing.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice