OgNe advice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 12:53

OgNe advice

Kay, I'm trying ogre necromancers now, and I was hoping for a bit of help.
What I've been doing:
Put almost all my points into necromancy, with a small amount going to spellcasting. Maces/flails and fighting get turned on once I have my spells at a acceptable power/failure rate, but they get turned off sporadicly as I need the xp for things I don't have good attributes in.
Worship Ash, and use animate skeleton to get around the fact I cursed a giant spiked club.
Not use regeneration, as training two spell schools, each with a -3 aptitude seems to be a bad idea.
Anything I'm doing wrong, or ideas you'd like to share?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:43

Re: OgNe advice

Learn all your starting spells. I get them in spell level order, except control undead before regeneration. (This might change now that 0.13 has made early undead less brutal, but I haven't tried it since that change). Sometimes I get vampiric draining before lethal infusion, if I'm using a mace of protection or such.

I start out getting 5 necromancy, with occasional spellcasting as I need spell levels. Then train Maces until 16-18 or so (I often let the curse bonus finish it off over time).
2-3 charms is fine (might get that while training maces).

Before read-IDing scrolls after d:5 or so, make sure to have cast lethal infusion (unless you have Freezing Aura/Fire Brand instead).

This OgNe allruned - though he was lucky to find an early book of war chants for sale. I think I have all skill levels noted, though exact training should depend on what you find.

You don't need animate skeleton to butcher in 0.12, but it's still worth using to help kill things and to help run away.

Training multiple spell schools with -3 aptitudes is where Ashenzari shines, though you shouldn't do it too early.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 16:56

khalil wrote:Put almost all my points into necromancy, with a small amount going to spellcasting. (...)

And what do you use to kill dudes? Pain?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 18:53

I've been splatting a lot of OgNe recently, and I've found it best to pick up the first club or whip I find and start training M&F straight away. Pain is a good secondary attack right off the bat and can soften up tougher enemies as they close into melee. While it would be nice to have more spellpower, it isn't always worth spending your early XP on Necromancy with a -3 aptitude. The spells you really want to look at are Lethal Infusion and Regeneration. The former increases your already respectable melee damage output and the latter compensates for your EV and AC, which are probably terrible. These don't need especially low failure rates, about 25% is fine. Training just a little Charms and Spellcasting should get them set up nicely. You're still no MiBe, but with a little discretion, these spells should let you take most early foes in melee, and keep you alive until you can pick up a GSC and Troll Leather Armour.

I feel like I'm basically playing a Skald with this, though, and that I could take better advantage of Vampiric Draining and Animate Dead, which I only really use with Ne of more casting-focused races. For those of you that are taking better advantage of a melee Ne's spell repertoire, what are the tactical situations in which you'd be using Skeletons, Zombies, and Draining?
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 20:05

@Magipi
Skeletons. Then vampric draining. Then a club of some sort.
While I do eventualy train m&f/fighting, it's generaly after I've got my spells to a castable rate.
@Igfxl
Vampric draining is the best! I've killed 9 headed hydras with it. I'll try charms though, might be worth a shot.
@rchandra
I'll try that out. I try to get my necromancy high enough that I can cast some of the bigger spells, but given the -3 aptitude that might not be worth it.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 20:24

How much Necromancy do you need to train up to kill hydras? That always seemed too difficult to me, given the terrible aptitude.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 20:52

Igxfl wrote:How much Necromancy do you need to train up to kill hydras? That always seemed too difficult to me, given the terrible aptitude.

More than my character who just died had apparently.
I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I've done it before.
Softening them up at range first is a good idea though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 20:56

The spells in the necromancer starting book aren't good for killing hydrae. If you find agony you can use that and then use vamp draining or something afterward. But most likely you will want to use wands or such like most characters.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 22:57

khalil wrote:Kay, I'm trying ogre necromancers now, and I was hoping for a bit of help.
What I've been doing:
Put almost all my points into necromancy, with a small amount going to spellcasting. Maces/flails and fighting get turned on once I have my spells at a acceptable power/failure rate, but they get turned off sporadicly as I need the xp for things I don't have good attributes in.
Worship Ash, and use animate skeleton to get around the fact I cursed a giant spiked club.
Not use regeneration, as training two spell schools, each with a -3 aptitude seems to be a bad idea.
Anything I'm doing wrong, or ideas you'd like to share?

I've had a lot of fun with OgNe, but I've never won one. (I don't win very often.) So I can't tell you how to win, but that won't stop me from babbling on :)

I do early game skills very differently. I start by upping necro only, but only to maybe five ranks or so. Initially, I use pain, skeletons, and whatever weapon is lying around (since they're all the same when you're at skill zero). I especially love lethal infusion. I don't try to get every spell early on with an ogre; that's for races with higher spellcasting aptitude IMO. I go for a modest amount of spellcasting, just to drop the hunger costs a little.

Once I have just a little necro and even less spellcasting, I put every last skill point into M&Flails. I rarely focus skills as much as the forum recommends, but for ogres I make an exception. They're so good at M&F, they're guaranteed an endgame weapon in the early game, and they're bad enough at spellcasting that I really want to get that sweet weapon developed early on. I treat them almost like an ogre skald (but better IMO because animate skeleton is so useful).

Once I get pretty high skill in M&F (at least 18, maybe 20), then I'm less sure what to do. But even then, I'm not in a big hurry for high level necromancy spells. If I go kiku, I want some more necromancy, pain brand, and animate dead. Otherwise, I might want armour or dodging, or charms or translocations. Blink, haste, swiftness, repel missiles, etc. I figure I will mostly bash things with my club, so I want support spells, not damage.

I never know what to do about dodging, though. Part of me wants to raise it, because I usually go through a painful period where I have no armour except a robe and I want some defense. Part of me hardly feels like it's worth the bother, because the large size seems to mean I get hit no matter what. Usually I raise dodging unless I find some useful support spell, in which case I go for the spell. I switch to raising armour as soon as I can get decent body armour. I still haven't really made up my mind. Sometimes I think ogres are the only race for which packs of green rats can actually be a threat, because every rat will land a nibble!

For gods, I like Ash for the awesome skill boosts plus monster detection, but I also like Kiku for corpse delivery. That's another reason to raise necro, you get better corpses. Okawaru also gives an effective skill boost, but so far I seem to do better with Ash and Kiku. Might just be me making mistakes though.

Anyway, I die a lot so this is no guarantee of success. But I do think that weapon first, spells later is the way to go, and I die from other mistakes, not early game poor skilling. I think the best I did was finishing lair and reaching D20, but I'm not certain (it was an offline game).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 00:44

Uhhhh....what? Ogres get fine spellcasting...only spriggans and deep elves have better. They just suck at all the schools.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th May 2013, 01:08

prozacelf wrote:Uhhhh....what? Ogres get fine spellcasting...only spriggans and deep elves have better. They just suck at all the schools.

D'oh, I'm embarrassed that I got that backwards! :oops:

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 19:47

I think you should focus on necromancy and spellcasting in the early game. It is easy to explode into 10-20 maces once you need the offense boost due to aptitudes.. but ogres have a very hard time defensively and that needs to come from your magic. I say this due to lots of recent experience with wz ie and ee and I have the easiest time when I get my magic off to a good start. Don't know much about necromancy but it seems similar. If you want to go with maces early it might be better to go with a different background.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 23:34

An ogre necromancer's "defense" from necromancy comes from animate skeleton. Pick up the first club you find and start training M&F, upgrading your weapon as you go. Animate everything you can. If you don't find a good giant club or great mace for a long time, maybe get lethal infusion going for some extra damage.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 26th May 2013, 06:14

Also, if you have trouble finding a giant club or great mace, flails are decent and the protection brand is fairly common on them

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice