Okawaru sneaky-buff??

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th May 2013, 20:28

Okawaru sneaky-buff??

Not sure if it's my imagination (unlikely), a bug (quite possible), or an intended change (i hope) ; but I think Okawaru just got a MAJOR buff, and amulet of faith a "stealth-nerf".

I was running a v0.12 centaur hunter of Oka. Getting my arrow-gifts, doing my thing, etc. Hit about lvl14 before I was like: ehhhh...let's try a polearm-focused hunter and see how that goes. Getting bows to 24 seems to be sort of excessive.

So, rather than killing him off, I started a new Centaur in v0.13. Okawaru is SHOWERING me with gifts. I'm getting gifts so fast that I might not even need to pick up another basic arrow again. I'm getting gifts so fast that I feel like a spoilt pretty-girl getting hit on by a poor lovestruck dope. I'm getting gifts so fast that you'd think I was sucking Oka's **** in the middle of Weapons'R'Us. I'm.... you get the idea.

The really *TELLING* part is that I'm getting this all WITHOUT an amulet of faith! My gift rate is easily 2-3x better than it was in v0.12... WITH that amulet! This culminated in a moment where i used a berserk pot to kill off 3 deathyaks and a hydra and got two gifts WITHIN FIVE TURNS of each other!! So. . .no gift timeout on arrow gifts? Or all gifts? Or . . .what?

To say "I'm happy" would be an understatement. This makes playing an archer so much more fun for me. But I can't figure whether or not this is a glitch. I know Sif Muna used to operate on a "no gift timeout" basis. That's why on one floor of Zot you'd get 2-3 gifts sometimes. Has this concept been expanded to Oka? To all gift-gods? What am I missing?

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th May 2013, 20:45

Re: Okawaru sneaky-buff??

Gift "timeout" is controlled by piety, not by time, it should be "pietyout" :)
So if you get many piety during 5 turns, you can have 2 gifts in 5 turns. I am not sure if it is related to 0.13 at all. Last time I played Oka in 0.12 I received 2 gifts for sacrificing a single corpse. That was body of Saint Roka, later I calculated that I got somewhat 20-40 piety for the sacrifice (accurate number is unknown, it is random in some range)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 01:16

I got two gifts simultaneously after killing norris on my CeHu, playing .11.2 yesterday.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 01:37

Um, I assume you do know that there are different gift timeouts for different kinds of items...
The ammo timeout is much lower.

(There are some amusing posts I made where I didn't know that. :lol: )

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 04:47

I've known it, yes. But it wasn't till I looked it up that i realized that the gift timeout for ammo was like 5-10 turns; i'd always assumed it was closer to 40. Also, I really meant more the feel of it than anyting else. I'm getting a LOT more ammo in v0.13 than i did in v0.12; but then - feel is subjective.

Could just be i'm killing stuff faster, using more perma-food, and taking more risks. Oka likes that. . . higher piety gains=higher gifts.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 12:49

The important information that was left out here was the specifics on those two gifts:

The -5 Cursed Armor of Ass: +dam 1, +rC, -rF, curse (and a type of armor that is the polar opposite of your prefered suit)
The +12 -1 Singing Sword of Suckit: --stealth, +noise, -tele, +hunger

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th May 2013, 15:03

A while back I read someone's remark about Oka's gifts - it's a crazy old coot with a closet full of an eternity's worth of junk. You don't get anything that won't fit, but there's no guarantee it'll be worth a damn to you, either.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice