Can't bottle blood from a fountain?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th April 2013, 05:54

Can't bottle blood from a fountain?

Is there a reason why blood from a fountain can't be bottled? I'm aware that it's largely irrelevant, but I tried it just to see if it worked, and sure enough, it doesn't. Is it just because bottling blood follows pretty much the same rules as butchering? Just curious....

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th April 2013, 21:17

Re: Can't bottle blood from a fountain?

minmay wrote:it would be stupid

Why?

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 29th April 2013, 21:23

khalil wrote:

Why?

Imagine how many phials it would take to empty a fountain. A few from some corpses is fine, but fountains is where the devs drew the line!
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 03:34

minmay wrote:
khalil wrote:

Why?
because it would be renewing a resource without exploring or killing monsters

You have to explore to find the fountain.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 08:48

Well, the blood fountains in Pan are one of the few ways to get blood in extended if you don't serve Kiku and you can't go back to them. I don't think there's a problem with one in late D or Crypt:5 as a source of "get healed back here if you screwed up badly", though I can also get behind a push to guarantee blood fountains only show up in Pan/Abyss/Hell.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2013, 15:15

don't fountains dry up? so it wouldn't be renewable.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 00:26

minmay wrote:they refill
nope

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 00:57

Psieye wrote:Well, the blood fountains in Pan are one of the few ways to get blood in extended if you don't serve Kiku and you can't go back to them. I don't think there's a problem with one in late D or Crypt:5 as a source of "get healed back here if you screwed up badly", though I can also get behind a push to guarantee blood fountains only show up in Pan/Abyss/Hell.
so would you like to add a "bread ration nailed to the floor" item for late D or crypt:5, so that other species don't miss out on this great piece of design?

But doesn't Crawl do this already, like placing a 2~3 bread on crypt or even in the tomb? Come to think of it, finding a fresh batch of strawberries in an ancient tomb does seem quite silly.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 01:00

nordetsa wrote:

Psieye wrote:Well, the blood fountains in Pan are one of the few ways to get blood in extended if you don't serve Kiku and you can't go back to them. I don't think there's a problem with one in late D or Crypt:5 as a source of "get healed back here if you screwed up badly", though I can also get behind a push to guarantee blood fountains only show up in Pan/Abyss/Hell.
so would you like to add a "bread ration nailed to the floor" item for late D or crypt:5, so that other species don't miss out on this great piece of design?

But doesn't Crawl do this already, like placing a 2~3 bread on crypt or even in the tomb? Come to think of it, finding a fresh batch of strawberries in an ancient tomb does seem quite silly.

Not really. Mummies make good gardeners.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 08:37

minmay wrote:

Nah, this is just compensation for the lack of 'permafood' for a Vp. One that isn't strictly necessary until you run out of the living in the game.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 10:40

vampires can't starve anyway so the lack of food isn't as much of a problem to them.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice