Fortnightly Conduct Run - Troll Caster

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 15:47

Fortnightly Conduct Run - Troll Caster

The Dart board has looked a little desolate lately, so I thought up of my own challenge series that I'll probably run once every 2 weeks. Anyone can join if they like, if they think the conduct is fun. Just post winning/losing morgues in the thread that you think fulfill the criteria for getting points, and I will allocate them.

TARGET: Troll Spellcaster (Recommended Backgrounds: Wz/IE/FE/VM/AE/Ne/Cj)
CONDITIONS:
- In the actions table of a morgue you must use melee and magic at a roughly 50-50 rate.

- Direct-damage spells and minimal use of melee(as a popcorn killer) are acceptable and encouraged.

- Using only utility spells such as blink,PoG,regen and melee for your main offense would NOT fulfill the criteria.

- Trog is obviously banned

Trolls have poor magical aptitudes and INT, so this conduct is intended for you use to your resourcefulness as player when presented with a weaker toolset than you normally have when playing Troll.

UC may be used, but only in conjunction with magic.

+20 points for 3-runes
+40 points for 15-runes(12 runes acceptable if lair/orc skipped)

+50 points for doing a Ziggurat to 27
[ALL POINTS ARE x3 IF LAIR AND ORC ARE SKIPPED]
[IF ATHEIST THEN POINTS ARE x1.5]

BONUS POINTS:
+10 for learning, and using, a level 9 spell
+100 points for skipping Lair and Orc(and winning.)
+50 points for being Atheist all throughout the game(and winning)

All crawl version are acceptable, as are all god abilities.
Last edited by Vajrapani on Monday, 16th October 2017, 04:34, edited 11 times in total.
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 17:44

Re: Fortnightly Conduct Run - Troll Caster

Good man

Btw, getting 15 runes and skipping lair are mutually exclusive
Also, any restriction on divine abilities? Which crawl versions are allowed?
make food great again

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 17:49

Any Crawl version is accepted, any divine abilities can be used. I'll update the OP to reflect this as well.

I've had a stab at this as well with a TrFE, died to a bunch of meliali but Sticky flame + a little claw melee is very strong.

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 17:53

Vajrapani wrote:Any Crawl version is accepted, any divine abilities can be used. I'll update the OP to reflect this as well.

I've had a stab at this as well with a TrFE, died to a bunch of meliali but Sticky flame + a little claw melee is very strong.

So how much melee is enough melee?
make food great again

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 17:58

I'd say, if you're using spells to kill enemies, but melee as a pop-corn killer(or if you have 0 mp) then that is enough melee for the conduct.

A Troll who only uses utility spells like blink,regen,PoG etc. doesn't count, but a Troll who uses bolt spells until 0 mp and then switching to melee to finish off enemies is fine for example.

Essentially it can be played as a hybrid, but direct-damage spells are preferred.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 18:10

Vajrapani wrote:I'd say, if you're using spells to kill enemies, but melee as a pop-corn killer(or if you have 0 mp) then that is enough melee for the conduct.

A Troll who only uses utility spells like blink,regen,PoG etc. doesn't count, but a Troll who uses bolt spells until 0 mp and then switching to melee to finish off enemies is fine for example.

Essentially it can be played as a hybrid, but direct-damage spells are preferred.

I see what you're saying, but it makes the conduct ambiguous to tell from looking at a morgue file, so you end up having to just take the player's word for it. Perhaps something like "ua (and throw?) skill must never be trained" would be clearer?
make food great again

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th October 2017, 18:13

Ahhh, I see. Yeah, that would be wise. I'll add it to the OP as well.

EDIT: Actually, I think a better way to do this is to check the actions table in a morgue and if melee and magic are roughly 50-50 then it can be allowed so the player doesn't have to cultivate inferior melee options.

I wouldn't want the character to be entirely gimped; just different.
Last edited by Vajrapani on Monday, 16th October 2017, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th October 2017, 04:57

You didn't explicitly mention, or reject summons, I assume those are fine (even if you end up doing most of your damage with summon spells) ?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 15th October 2017, 10:54

Siegurt wrote:You didn't explicitly mention, or reject summons, I assume those are fine (even if you end up doing most of your damage with summon spells) ?

Yep, summons are fine.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 26th October 2017, 01:57

UC may be used, but only in conjunction with magic.

Do full-on transmuters that learn level 9 spells later count?
https://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/c ... 100612.txt

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 26th October 2017, 14:03

The game recommends EE for trolls, but your above conduct does not mention it. Do you mean that you don't want us to run as EE?
Maɟaŋ

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 28th October 2017, 20:54

Majang wrote:The game recommends EE for trolls, but your above conduct does not mention it. Do you mean that you don't want us to run as EE?

Oh no, I just forgot to mention it :oops:

Return to The Dart Board