Crawl Challenge: Nemelex and Makhlebs Crazy Batty Challenge!

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 28th January 2014, 19:34

Crawl Challenge: Nemelex and Makhlebs Crazy Batty Challenge!

Hello and welcome to my first attempt and creating a crawl challenge! Btw, I totally stole this from someone else, so if it was you, feel free to say so and I'll give you credit. :)

Nemelex and Makhlebs Crazy Batty Challenge!

Story

Nemelex and Makhleb were just sitting around in the crawl pantheon one day playing a good old fashion game of half-life 2 when Makhleb, in his terrifying demonic voice, says to nemelex; "I have a bet for you lex, you in?" Nemelex, being the gambling man he is, looks Makhleb in the eyes and says "Oh hell yes!"

Makhleb: The powers I grant my followers are so powerful, that it get you even a bat, the weakest of all creatures, to ascend with the orb.

Nemelex: Oh really? Well, even the mightiest of heroes acknowledge me as being the strongest of gods, and my wrath is often considered the most feared in all the world!

Makhleb: Well, we'll just see about that, now won't we?

Rules and restrictions

• You must play as a vampire.
  • You may not drink blood until you are in bat form.
  • Immediately change into a bat when you are able to.
  • You may not leave bat form accept to open and close doors.
  • The only thing you are allowed to do while not in bat form is open and close doors or change into bat form.

How to win

The player must complete the game using a vampire while following either nemelex or Makhleb. However, given the restrictions, ascending in this challenge would be quite remarkable, damn near impossible if you ask me. So, their is an alternative you may do to "win" the challenge: gain X number challenge points and then leave the dungeon. What are challenge points? Well, you get them by doing particularly impressive feats, here is a list of challenges you can complete:

Code:
Acquire a rune of zot: 4 CP
Kill 10 vault elves in elven halls: 3 CP
Become a champion of Nemelex(full piety): 2 CP
Kill 1 of every Tier 3 demon while following nemelex: 3 CP
Become a champion of Makhleb(full piety): 3 CP
Kill 15 flying weapons while following Makhleb: 2 CP
Enter the Depths: 1 CP
Acquire the abyssal rune of Zot: 6 CP
Make it to depths 6 within 20k turns: 3 CP
Kill 10 Uniques: 3 CP
Throw 2 scrolls of acquirement into lava: 3 CP
Kill 100 enemies using unarmed combat(nothing else): 3 CP
Kill 50 enemies in a single hit with unarmed combat: 2 CP
Acquire 5 different dragon hides: 2 CP
Kill an ancient lich: 5 CP
Find one of every potion: 2 CP
Find one of every Scroll: 2 CP
Find one of every amulet: 2 CP
Complete a Portal Vault: 1 CP
Kill a Tier 1 Demon(summons do count): 3 CP

Rankings

10+ CP: Bronze Medal
15+ CP: Silver Medal
20+ CP: Gold Medal

Escape with the Orb of Zot: Platinum Medal
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 28th January 2014, 21:08

Re: Crawl Challenge: Nemelex and Makhlebs Crazy Batty Challe

While I don't think this is enough of a competition to stand on its own, it does give me an idea. It would be nice to have a thread that lists a bunch of "challenge game" conducts, like the ??challenge entry on the learndb. Then you can track who had completed which challenges, etc. It wouldn't necessarily be a competition, but just for fun.

Then your batty challenge could be one of those.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 28th January 2014, 21:12

This is a challenge, not a competition. :)

It's just for fun, to challenge yourself and see how far you can get. Also, I think that was the point of the board, dedicating a single thread for that purpose would be kind of taxing...
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 02:04

I am playing the challenge just now. I became a champion of Nemelex Xobeh at XL 9. Have a look here:
http://rl.heh.fi/morgue/glosham/glosham.txt

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd February 2014, 01:05

Currently going for a bronze medal for online, y'all can come watch my game right now if you want: http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080

Playing as my alt, Altacy.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd February 2014, 02:06

That has to have been the single longest first 5 floors I have ever done. I mean, holy shit, a whole hour just to clear 5 floors? They arent even cleared, the 5th one isn't even fully explored and still has dowan and duvessa.

I decided to go with mahkleb and its working pretty nicely, his minor destruction makes the game SOOO much easier. So far I have killed 4 uniques: Tarence, ijyb, yuif, and one other one I think. Im going to take a break for now though, Ill probably be back at it tomorrow at around the same time. :)

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 8th February 2014, 19:28

After a long break, I am finally coming back to the batty challenge. I'll be playing on Altacy if anyone is interested in watching. :)

(http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#lobby)

My current game, I have almost reached max piety stars with mahkleb and am only in the lair. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th February 2014, 01:51

You're not in Lair. You're just sitting there in a dungeon hallway.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 9th February 2014, 03:36

I finished the lair and stopped to go see the Lego movie, it kicked ass.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 04:17

I'm going to die...

TOTALLY IN
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 04:18

These challenges can be completed over the course of multiple games
Example: Kill 5 uniques in one game and 5 in another: get the CP
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 04:24

treerex5 wrote:These challenges can be completed over the course of multiple games
Example: Kill 5 uniques in one game and 5 in another: get the CP

It has to be all in one game, sorry. :(

Fortunately, playing a bat of Makhleb is sorta like playing a spriggan conjurer with no pickup conduct. So it's not that daunting after you get minor destruction.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
treerex5

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 01:01

Hey all, just posting to say that im going for it again after taking a long break from playing crawl. You can come watch me play on my alt(altacy) here:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#play-dcss-git

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 01:37

If you go Yred or Makhleb you don't need to leave batform to open doors. Yred Gifts and Lesser Servants can do it for you. (I've gotten 3 runes and died in Zot attempting this).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 02:46

bcadren wrote:If you go Yred or Makhleb you don't need to leave batform to open doors. Yred Gifts and Lesser Servants can do it for you. (I've gotten 3 runes and died in Zot attempting this).

Damn! That's impressive. I guess I'm taking it slowly haha, only did 3-4 floors before having to stop to go food.

Yred does seem like a neat option, I just wonder how exactly you would get the bodies to use his invoked
zombie ability?

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 14:38

Tiktacy wrote:Damn! That's impressive. I guess I'm taking it slowly haha, only did 3-4 floors before having to stop to go food.

Yred does seem like a neat option, I just wonder how exactly you would get the bodies to use his invoked
zombie ability?

Bat UC is pathetic, but still non-zero. You can kill anything with bad AC with it (Orcs, Cockroaches, Bees, etc.)...which is enough to tide you through until you have enough piety to get gifts. (Notably for a little bit having a Wight or a Mummy isn't much of an improvement, but it is a little bit of one). Amulet of Faith REALLY recommended for these kinds of runs, regardless of god...with Faith you might get a bone dragon in mid lair.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 16:03

bcadren wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:Damn! That's impressive. I guess I'm taking it slowly haha, only did 3-4 floors before having to stop to go food.

zombie ability?

Bat UC is pathetic, but still non-zero. You can kill anything with bad AC with it (Orcs, Cockroaches, Bees, etc.)...which is enough to tide you through until you have enough piety to get gifts. (Notably for a little bit having a Wight or a Mummy isn't much of an improvement, but it is a little bit of one). Amulet of Faith REALLY recommended for these kinds of runs, regardless of god...with Faith you might get a bone dragon in mid lair.

I'm gonna continue with my bat of Makhleb run right now if you or anyone else is interested. :)

If I splat, I'll try yred

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 17th January 2016, 22:39

Coming back to this challenge to revisit it. I am going to make one alteration though:

You can leave batform at any time, but only for 1 turn, and then you have to immediately change back. In other words, you can bring blood, open doors, and even buff yourself up prior to a fight if needed. But obviously, this is impractical during a fight.

Playing in https://crawl.s-z.org/#lobby under the name shink. Going to try playing using Qazlal instead, or maybe another god if I find them early enough.

Return to The Dart Board