Challenge Idea: Branching Orbrun

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 03:38

Challenge Idea: Branching Orbrun

Conducts:
  • You cannot enter any sidebranches without the Orb. (No Temple, Orc or Lair); portals are fine (Timed Portals, Hell, Abyss, Pan).
  • Clear Elf.
  • Escape with all 15 runes.
Note: This does mean Vaults:5, elf:3 and Tomb:3 with orbrun demon spawns.

Recommended order:
Dungeon -> Depths -> Vestibule -> Abyss -> Any Hell Branches you have resistances for -> Pan -> Zot -> Remaining Hell Branches -> Orb -> Vaults -> Crypt -> Tomb -> Orc -> Elf -> Lair -> Spider/Snake -> Swamp/Shoals -> Slime

Note: Branches during orbrun somewhat run hardest->easiest, but this is because extra orbrun spawns for Zigzagging up and down the dungeons aren't worth the extra XP before Tomb and the Panlord spawns will be the worst things for that entire period.
Note: You may grind Abyss, Hell Effects or Pan if you need to.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 05:45

Re: Challenge Idea: Branching Orbrun

What is wrong with you. . . :cry:
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 06:15

Something I realized a little after posting...if you could pull this off...you'd probably have the server high score. Since you'd get the early rune last and be able to sweep those branches with pan lords from the orb run being your greatest enemies during (which give more XP to add to your XP score).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 06:24

bcadren wrote:Something I realized a little after posting...if you could pull this off...you'd probably have the server high score. Since you'd get the early rune last and be able to sweep those branches with pan lords from the orb run being your greatest enemies during (which give more XP to add to your XP score).

what no

The only relevant factors in a winning player's high score is A) how many runes they have (Any less than 15 won't be near the top) B) How few turns the game is (Any massive diversions, like this nigh-impossible conduct, would bog the score down.

XP and Gold only really matter for non-winning games, and mostly exist to give early players a sense of progress.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 07:48

Meth. Not even once.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
duvessa

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 11:34

reaver wrote:The only relevant factors in a winning player's high score is A) how many runes they have (Any less than 15 won't be near the top) B) How few turns the game is (Any massive diversions, like this nigh-impossible conduct, would bog the score down.

XP and Gold only really matter for non-winning games, and mostly exist to give early players a sense of progress.

Assuming 0 XP and 0 Gold a max turn count of : 140625 would be a perfect score of 99,999,999.
Assuming Max XP (9,000,000) and 0 gold, a max turn count of: 143360 would be a perfect score of 99,999,999.

Yea; that's a minor difference. Notably though; if you went in reverse like this, you could hit the XP cap early (in hell, pan, a Zig whatever) then because of your high level completely plow through the easy branches. Though the XP wouldn't directly help your score that much, but uber high level early...would let you just slaughter everything. Though the Orb Run conduct probably wouldn't be best for maximum score; more like a normal branchless (Hells, then Pan, the Abyss) then the branches, then zot. would be fastest. Defeating hell lords for the XP to make the rest of the game as easy as butter to slice through.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 23:20

bcadren wrote:Notably though; if you went in reverse like this, you could hit the XP cap early (in hell, pan, a Zig whatever) then because of your high level completely plow through the easy branches.

How do you even do those branches without even being close to max level?
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 20th April 2014, 01:07

Lyrick wrote:How do you even do those branches without even being close to max level?

I've gotten Icy as my second rune before...around XL 14. Mostly it was kill the fiends one at a time; get antaeus out of his hole then teleport around/avoid him, because I wasn't powerful enough to kill him. That was also a MiFi in an Artifact GDA (rF+ rC+_+ rPois STR+5)...of Dithmenos to give a lot better stealth than normally possible in heavy armour so that I could face things one at a time...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 01:58

bcadren wrote:
reaver wrote:The only relevant factors in a winning player's high score is A) how many runes they have (Any less than 15 won't be near the top) B) How few turns the game is (Any massive diversions, like this nigh-impossible conduct, would bog the score down.

Assuming 0 XP and 0 Gold a max turn count of : 140625 would be a perfect score of 99,999,999.
Assuming Max XP (9,000,000) and 0 gold, a max turn count of: 143360 would be a perfect score of 99,999,999.

Yea; that's a minor difference. Notably though; if you went in reverse like this, you could hit the XP cap early (in hell, pan, a Zig whatever) then because of your high level completely plow through the easy branches. Though the XP wouldn't directly help your score that much, but uber high level early...would let you just slaughter everything. Though the Orb Run conduct probably wouldn't be best for maximum score; more like a normal branchless (Hells, then Pan, the Abyss) then the branches, then zot. would be fastest. Defeating hell lords for the XP to make the rest of the game as easy as butter to slice through.

Ummm, I don't think you're calculating the score right, although the difference between 140k and 143k sounds about right, winning a 15 rune game in 100k turns is around 18m or so, just as a ballpark. You don't get 99M, and people have won 15 rune games in as low as <22k turns (65M score).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 07:18

Code:
Kellhus the Farming Axe Maniac (L27 VpEE of Makhleb), annihilated by a meat berserker (a +9,+9 battleaxe) in Sprint (Sprint VIII: "Arena of Blood") on 2013-03-10 07:28:59, with -1759803776 points after 240100 turns and 1:53:37.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 08:06

two players got nature ally 3 banner this tourney i.e. they entered tomb for the first time and got golden rune on the orb run
one player got branchless victory
http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.14/banners.html

combining that together looks insane

Return to The Dart Board