Tournament Clans for Crawl 0.14 (Closed)

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 19:13

Re: Tournament Clans for Crawl 0.14 (1 slot left)

Fixed khalil's name, sorry! :?

Speaking of problems with nicks, what would you guys think about having theme teams next year. Basically, I would set up teams like this:

"uniques and necromancy"
    Boris (captain)
    Nergelle
    Khufu
    Menkaure
    Murray
    Josephine

With each team member having an account associated with it (I could use scripts to quickly make accounts on all the servers).

Then I would just PM people their account username/password when they asked to join the team.

Advantages: Less messing around with rc files for players, may attract more people, you can keep your pre-toruney 0.14 games on your own account.

Disadvantages: You're tourney games don't count for your total wins, you have to remember to log into a different account.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 19:28

Re: Tournament Clans for Crawl 0.14 (Closed)

reaver: so klarki goes on your squad then?

Personally, I prefer playing under my own account. I don't mind messing a bit with rcfiles. You can make themed clan names though :)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th April 2014, 20:09

DracheReborn wrote:reaver: so klarki goes on your squad then?
Yes.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 04:05

Hehe, we've got some funny deaths in Pikels Freed slaves...
We have a team kill - christhawk died to Strat's ghost.
And I lost a SpSk to Edmund the fire bat.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 05:32

xentronium wrote:Hehe, we've got some funny deaths in Pikels Freed slaves...
We have a team kill - christhawk died to Strat's ghost.

That should warrant a banner.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 12:32

Whoops -- Sorry, christhawk -- apparently my ghosts play better than I do ...

DracheReborn -- thanks for being positive about my stupidity -- that TeCj was only the first of THREE promising characters that I botched (a MiFe^Zin and a KoAs of Trog that I'm retrying now). Somehow, I get to the mid-game (end of branches, Depths) and get overconfident, then pfft ...

Overall, this clan/tourney has been the most positive interaction with the Crawl community I've had (not that it's been bad, mind you) -- great fun, and I'll try to contribute something before the end to my team!

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 18:14

Worst death of mine this tournament was when my promising Minotaur Berserker got cast into the Abyss. I survived for so long (over 1000 turns), then found the exit! I walked to the exit, then saw an artifact amulet just 5 steps away! How could I resist? 3 steps towards the amulet the abyss shifts and I get neither amulet nor exit. Died to a smoke demon shortly thereafter.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 08:37

Update time! I guess things slowed down with CSZO being down for a while. But 2 more wins were chalked up: stickyfingers (GrGl) and Zooty (FeAE). Doing us proud!

I apologize that I can't keep up any more with people who get runes but didn't win their games. But someone (probably reaver, or I could do it too) will do an end of tournament report, so your achievements will still be recorded for posterity! Well, on this thread anyway.

Strat: Don't worry, wins will come eventually. As long as you keep playing, you'll still be contributing to tournament and clan points. Keep it up!

Ajonos: that sucks, I hate the Abyss too. Better luck next time!

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 14:50

I added reaver as my TEAMCAPTAIN and yet it doesn't recognize me as teammember. What could be wrong?

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 18:08

klarki wrote:I added reaver as my TEAMCAPTAIN and yet it doesn't recognize me as teammember. What could be wrong?

reaver has you in as "klarki", but I think he needs to change it to "Klarki". If you see him online here or playing on cszo, send him a message and he'll fix it. I mentioned it to him yesterday, but he was busy splatting a character and it looks like he forgot to make the change.

I hope your luck in the tournament is better than mine.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 20:07

Umm I ruined 4 nicely developing chars ... I don't know how much bad luck have you got but I've got plenty up to now :)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 20:27

chukamok wrote:
klarki wrote:I added reaver as my TEAMCAPTAIN and yet it doesn't recognize me as teammember. What could be wrong?

reaver has you in as "klarki", but I think he needs to change it to "Klarki". If you see him online here or playing on cszo, send him a message and he'll fix it. I mentioned it to him yesterday, but he was busy splatting a character and it looks like he forgot to make the change.

I hope your luck in the tournament is better than mine.

Done, I did change the name when you told me but I managed to undo it by accident later.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 19:32

Well, I did manage to put together one win with a new god for Pikel's Freed Slaves, though a monkey could probably have won with a minotaur who found such an early Crystal plate. Still, points are points, right, and it helps with embarrassment of having died to my own spellforged survivor earlier ...

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 21:20

Strat wrote:Well, I did manage to put together one win with a new god for Pikel's Freed Slaves, though a monkey could probably have won with a minotaur who found such an early Crystal plate. Still, points are points, right, and it helps with embarrassment of having died to my own spellforged survivor earlier ...

I had an easy win going (haste casting MiGl with lajatang of elec) but threw it away in a Zig. Must make it up to PFS.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 23:14

I was following your run through the zig with admiration, actually. I thought about going extended but chickened out and went for the easy way.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 20th April 2014, 04:45

Pikel's freed slaves is in the #13 clan. There is no need to worry about tournament points. it's certainly doing better than the other 3 clans. :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 12:06

Bump! Tournament ends in 2 days.

Sorry that I've been slacking with updates. RL stuff got in the way of crawling. RL is very annoying, FR remove RL! :lol:

More people winning: stickyfingers (DrWr, CeAM), Strat (MiGl), Zooty (DrCK, CeAM), mopl (CeHu), Midpoint (DsWn), Patashu (MiBe), fearitself (SpEn)

In the 0.13 tournament, the 2 Tavern clans managed 6 wins in total. So far in 0.14, our 4 clans have already managed 20 wins, and counting. Progress, eh?

Anyway, there's still time for one last big push! Go get those combo high scores, play a Nemelex Choice combo if you haven't yet, kill every unique and player ghost you meet for tournament points, get every banner you haven't collected yet. Go have fun!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 15:40

Aargh! Could not resist the temptation to have a look in Hell (I'd never been). And there was Geryon, asleep. And I did stab him. But he is a tough bugger. C'est la vie. At least I picked up two runes, so a new tournament high score for me, tra la.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 27th April 2014, 20:19

Last minute push, got a HaWr off the ground, decaying and gossamer runes in the bag, and racing through vaults to beat the clock. Finished clearing out the V5 welcome party, got careless going toe to, well, all of me, with a Titan. Splat. :roll:
Smarter move would have been to blink dance him up the stairs and strand him there. Silly me. Sorry clannies, thought I would bag one more win before the closing bell.
10 Wins: NaGl* (15) MuCj (15) DsFE* (4) DsWn*+ (5,8) HaBe (3) DECj (15) SpAK (5) GrBe+ (4) HoCK+ (15)
* on CAO; + on CZO

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 27th April 2014, 22:18

Thanks to all who helped set up these clans -- it added to the tourney for me in some weird way (given that I have no idea who my clan-mates really are). I'm a pretty mediocre player, but it was sure fun watching Pikel's Freed Slaves toy with the top 10-20 throughout. Looking forward to the 0.15 tourney ...

For this message the author Strat has received thanks:
HenryFlower

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 27th April 2014, 22:35

Ended up getting three 3-rune wins in total, two of them in a 2-streak, but I didn't optimize for tourney points/banners/try nchoices at all, I just wanted to crank out some wins, hah. Had a blast!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 00:25

Damn I missed this thread. Had fun in the tourney anyway, but I was in one of these random clans for 0.13 and it was good fun.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 01:49

Thanks reaver for setting up the AXE MANIACS. Sorry I couldn't get a win. Also thanks to stickyfingers for carrying our clan to 54th place. See you around.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 03:19

Was mostly unable to participate this week, but at least Deez Mangoes made it to the upper 50% of the clans and beat the robots.

Only played 9 games, but the majority of my deaths were epic(-ish)

D:4 slain by a slave (led by Pikel)
IceCv slain by an ice dragon
D:10 blasted by an ice statue (shard of ice)
D:7 blasted by Gerad's ghost (shard of ice)
Abyss:3 blasted by an apocalypse crab (blast of chaos)
shot by a deep elf knight (arrow of flame)
blasted by an adder (exploding inner flame)
D:1 slain by a hobgoblin (a +0,+0 club)
D:2 blasted by Terence (wand of frost)

Thanks to top clan player fearitself and all my other comrades!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 14:06

Strat wrote:Thanks to all who helped set up these clans -- it added to the tourney for me in some weird way (given that I have no idea who my clan-mates really are). I'm a pretty mediocre player, but it was sure fun watching Pikel's Freed Slaves toy with the top 10-20 throughout. Looking forward to the 0.15 tourney ...

Zooty and Xen were on a tear. I wanted to contribute -- quite a few dudes who coulda shoulda, but I forgot the basic rule of a tournament: score points. Had a ton of fun. Thanks to reaver for facilitating.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 15:13

I play so slow that I ended up nursing the one character (TeGl) I had not killed right away for the better part of 2 weeks, and still managed not to finish the game. Still no tournament wins for me! But I'll eventually finish this game, promise. As soon as I finish that 0.13 game I have left over from last time :D

For me the fun was mostly in keeping track of how well the others were doing. You guys did Tavern proud. Let's get on ##crawl and trash talk all those Tavern-hating ****ers (OK, we're collectively not good enough to do that yet. But maybe next tourney!)

Pikels Freed Slaves ended up #15 in the clan rankings. Xomthing Xpecial was at #36, Deez Mangoes at #42, and AXE MANIACS at #54. That's out of 136 registered clans, so good showing everyone.

Individually, Zooty (#19 overall) and Xen (#37) were spectacular. Also putting in great runs: mopl (#89), stickyfingers (#107), fearitself (#156), Strat (#180), Midpoint (#193), Patashu (#201), and many more.

I plan to do a more detailed breakdown eventually, unless someone (read: reaver) beats me to it. Thanks reaver for organizing, and everyone else for participating. Let's do it again next tournament.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 15:14

Alright! One of my ghosts got a kill! I'm guessing it was probably the HEFE. Is there any way I can find out, a command on #IRC or something?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th April 2014, 15:28

If you run !gkills on ##crawl, it will tell you who your ghost killed (but not which ghost, unfortunately).

I did manage to find your victim quickly though, it was this guy: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/elmdor/morg ... 074622.txt

So, OgIE

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
Moanerette

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd August 2014, 19:53

Reaver, you organizing another one of these threads for 0.15?

:) apparently it's a week away :)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th August 2014, 22:21

XuaXua wrote:Reaver, you organizing another one of these threads for 0.15?

:) apparently it's a week away :)
I'm sorry, I'm sort of taking a break from Crawl right now. (Classes starting and all) and I don't really have the time/will to create a 0.15 thread. If anybody wants to copy the original post and organize a 0.15 thread themselves I encourage them to do so.
Previous

Return to The Dart Board