CSDC Week 5 - NaEn, CLOSED

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 23:43

CSDC Week 5 - NaEn, CLOSED

Please use this thread for discussion of all things pertaining to Week 5 of the Crawl Sudden Death Challenges competition.

Week 5: NaEn

Tier I Bonus: Collect your first rune with Evocations as your highest skill.
Tier II Bonus: Collect your third rune with Evocations less than 15 as your highest skill (Prestidigitator title).

NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, you do not need to win the game to get points for the bonus challenges.

CSDC Season 1 Results and Standings

Week 5 Challenge Wins
Last edited by WalkerBoh on Thursday, 13th March 2014, 01:11, edited 4 times in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 00:48

Re: CSDC Week 5 - NaEn

What's the ruling on Dith?

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 02:01

Dith isn't allowed this season in any game.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 03:48

Watch out for player ghosts.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 04:06

Gonna do what I should have done last couple times - practice locally.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 04:50

Made it to Lair twice locally.

Made it to D1 twice online. Jackal ambush.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 13:05

Whups, thanked for mistake.
NaEn starts with decent stealth, did you managed to get all the jackals notice you at once, twice? :P

Btw, can I say I really don't like and don't understand the bonus this round? It forces a very bad behaviour (training a skill you won't have any use, unless you find the right item(s) ) while the others just required a different approach to the game (like speeding up your game play or entering places you otherwise you could had not considered)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 13:23

nago wrote:Whups, thanked for mistake.
NaEn starts with decent stealth, did you managed to get all the jackals notice you at once, twice? :P

Btw, can I say I really don't like and don't understand the bonus this round? It forces a very bad behaviour (training a skill you won't have any use, unless you find the right item(s) ) while the others just required a different approach to the game (like speeding up your game play or entering places you otherwise you could had not considered)

I think the bonus encourages to use Nemelex instead of standard En gods. Or suffer having some useless skill.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 14:36

Welp, finally died. Caught a player ghost, almost got away before it saw me but then it caught up. I had no good escapes, just a potion of curing, but managed to find an escape hatch. Unfortunately I encountered a phantom pretty quickly on the next floor which I could not manage to confuse, and in trying to run away got beat up by an ogre skeleton.

In conclusion, I really hate Na.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 15:06

I didn't want to go with Nemelex but

72 | D:1 | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
84 | D:1 | Became a worshipper of Nemelex Xobeh

Next altar was Nemelex again so it seems like I had little choice
1967 | D:3 | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
At least he saved my life, allies don't work well with EH, they waked Orc Warrior before I could stab it so I was going to die but then got a Griffon from plain deck of summoning at 0 Evo, really lucky.

Edit. Yes, Na disable some basic tactics so I decided to train Stealth to 9 before training anything else.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 15:13

RIP ackack. It was a pretty nice streak though, so you can still be pretty happy with yourself.

nago wrote:Btw, can I say I really don't like and don't understand the bonus this round? It forces a very bad behaviour (training a skill you won't have any use, unless you find the right item(s) ) while the others just required a different approach to the game (like speeding up your game play or entering places you otherwise you could had not considered)

I think Evocations could be useful for potentially every character, and I chose it (as opposed to skills like Stealth or Fighting) specifically because I think many people don't appreciate how useful it can be. In this particular challenge, it may encourage you to try a god you wouldn't have considered normally for NaEn (e.g.: Nem for obvious reasons, or Ash for reskilling later), or it may consider you to use some items that otherwise may just be floor trash after early game (wand of confusion/slowing, disc of storms, decks, etc.).

But the real point of the bonus is to change how you consider your skills. For the Tier II bonus you are never allowed to push a skill above level 15 until after your third rune. I think this should considerably change the game on both a tactical (similar to having low hp, having less dodging/fighting/weapon skill/etc will also change how you handle individual situations) as well as a strategic level (do you branch into more magic schools, hybridize your character more, train multiple weapons?). Perhaps in practice these decisions end up not being very interesting, I can't say for sure. But that at least is the thought behind it. :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 16:19

Can I say that I hate Naga? Or that I should have practiced offline, although for me I like the challenge of trying a new character with a #YOLO hashtag? Or that I can blame Xom? (my own damn fault for not setting an exclude on the Xomish vault). Or that a Manticore zombie + Orc with wand of draining + a pack of polearm wielding Gnolls absolutely suck for Nagas? (Although I shoulda hit the teleport wand again immediately, or alternatively hit many of them with confuse to escape).

Anyway, enjoying the challenges despite low survival rates.

Code:
  7563 | D:6      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  7680 | D:6      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  7732 | D:6      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  7733 | D:6      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  7736 | D:6      | You fall through a shaft for 3 floors!
  7862 | D:9      | Reached skill level 13 in Stealth
  8002 | D:9      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 66/68 MP: 3/14
  8310 | D:9      | Slain by a gnoll

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Henry ... 015246.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 18:21

nago wrote:Whups, thanked for mistake.

One of the D1 deaths was jackals. I tried walking away and it followed and spotted me and barked. Kept retreating to a corridor and there were 3 hanging behind the first.

This was just outside the dungeon entrance. The second time I got further, but a goblin yelled a kobold into view and I couldn't take down both.

And hell yes, training Stealth.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 20:27

WalkerBoh: Quick clarification, I assume the skill training challenge condition applies to your base skill level, rather than your effective level. Is that correct? In other words, does Ash or Oka boost and/or draining screw it up?

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 21:04

Correct, base skill level. Good clarification.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 01:52

WalkerBoh,
How do you determine whether bonus is obtained? I have just got a rune and my Evocations is 14.1 while 2 other skills are 14.0. Should I do a screenshot or will you use ttyrec or something?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 01:59

Code:
<wheals> !lm sandman25 rune x=sk
<Sequell> 87. [2014-02-23 01:49:11] [sk=Evocations] Sandman25 the Prestidigitator (L17 NaEn of Nemelex Xobeh) found a gossamer rune of Zot on turn 39282. (Spider:5)

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Sandman25

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 02:36

Yep, you don't need to worry about tracking it. I only make bonuses that I can easily query on ##crawl.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 14:03

Really stupid death, forgot about everything: Tomb, deal four from deck of destruction, summoning, even invisibility. I should play with Nemelex more often.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 19:03

Sandman25 wrote:Really stupid death, forgot about everything: ..., deal four from deck of destruction, ...
If you had really done that you could have even more stupid death:
!lg Yermak ktyp=disintegration 4 -tv
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 19:48

Yermak wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Really stupid death, forgot about everything: ..., deal four from deck of destruction, ...
If you had really done that you could have even more stupid death:
!lg Yermak ktyp=disintegration 4 -tv

Sorry, I am unable to see ttyrec (it's too complicated to me). What happened?

My character didn't suffer from having to train Evocations higher than other skills at all: ring of invisibility before Lair, cloak with evocable fog in Orcish Mines, increadibly stealthy due to +4 naga barding {Stlth+}, +2 cloak of the Thief {+Fog Dam-3 SInv Stlth++} and "You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +2, Stlth)". +4 Demon Blade of flaming at min delay before Vaults :(
  Code:
You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC +4).
You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +2, Stlth).
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
You have an increased reservoir of magic (+10% MP).
You are resistant to electric shocks.
You have a slow metabolism.
You evolve.

Died to a single Stone Giant despite AC 30, I completely forgot how dangerous they are.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 20:14

He dealt four from a deck of destruction. The first and third cards were both power 2 orb card, so when the second group of orbs of destruction got placed, they collided with the first group, and cause 4 simultaneous point-blank explosion to a player with spriggan hp.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 23:27

Wow. So the lesson is that deal four from legendary destruction is a no-no. Then again, it's quite tempting to use it against OoFs and stuff... Well, it's a gamble.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 08:10

Pity. My game is ending unexpectedly on CLAN. Just crashing. I am not able to open it neither to start a new one. XL 15 approximately.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 10:45

Dammit, very short run for me this round :x
Slain right after getting lv4 by a gnoll who immediately woke up from hibernation and who proceeded to two shot me with a flail :x
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 11:35

glosham wrote:Pity. My game is ending unexpectedly on CLAN. Just crashing. I am not able to open it neither to start a new one. XL 15 approximately.

You should report that to mantis with the corresponding crash reports. Looks like these are the ones regarding your recent crashes:

http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/gl ... 083949.txt

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 11:46

Hei, WalkerBoh! All my NaEn games were played in 0.13 version so far and I guess it counts as a legitimate training. I think you have to make corrections to your tracking query code.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 11:50

Tedronai wrote:
glosham wrote:Pity. My game is ending unexpectedly on CLAN. Just crashing. I am not able to open it neither to start a new one. XL 15 approximately.

You should report that to mantis with the corresponding crash reports. Looks like these are the ones regarding your recent crashes:

I have the same issue with my lantea game. What should I do exactly?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 11:59

Magipi wrote:
Tedronai wrote:

I have the same issue with my lantea game. What should I do exactly?

Wait.

viewtopic.php?f=9&p=154004
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... d52a11b2a2

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks: 2
glosham, Magipi

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 14:21

Yermak wrote:Hei, WalkerBoh! All my NaEn games were played in 0.13 version so far and I guess it counts as a legitimate training. I think you have to make corrections to your tracking query code.

Thank you, I will do that tonight.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 15:53

Ugg. Managed to survive a D1 orc warrior in a dead end hallway thanks to a lucky ?tele, but got auto-explore killed when it took me to the corner of a room and then revealed a gnoll pack.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 16:06

Don't use autoexplore unless you are sure your character can survive almost anything in CSDC. I am autoexplore fan and always use it from turn 1 in usual games but I never use it in these games before at least late Lair.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 16:43

@Sandman25- Yeah I've gotten pretty lazy of late, and I'm not so used to playing stealth characters. Part of my problem is that I play most of the time now in 5 minute breaks from work, so I get pretty sloppy.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 17:10

TeshiAlair wrote:@Sandman25- Yeah I've gotten pretty lazy of late, and I'm not so used to playing stealth characters. Part of my problem is that I play most of the time now in 5 minute breaks from work, so I get pretty sloppy.

I see. 5 minute sessions require playing something like MiBe IMHO.
En requires very careful play, I've got a nasty mutation on my last (5th) NaEn when I cast invisibility without noticing grey contamination.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 01:37

Well, I had a pretty good early start, even found a dagger of protection for ac and a cutlass of venom for fighting...and then grinder showed up. Man, I hate me some grinder :) Quaffed a potion of speed at around 15 hp, not expecting him to be able to kill me in one turn, but I landed exactly at 0...

I probably should have ID'ed more stuff, ah well...

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 02:25

After getting plonked by an ooze very early on in my first attempt, I used ensorcelled hibernation 1517 times to retrieve 6 runes on my second. My first En win! D1 and D2 are crazy nutso for NaEn, though once ensorcelled is available the tension eases. Elec dagger found early in the dungeon was of great value through much of the game. As was an artifact regen ring, which I kept on until the end.

Not my most efficient run. I was muddling my way through when I saw Bruce get 15 runes + a full zigg in what, 37k turns? I think I used that many turns just trekking after food and changing my mind about where I wanted to go (after getting there), and of course resting after invis glow.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/MrPlanck/morgue-MrPlanck-20140224-214514.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 02:44

Congratulations, MrPlanck!

My experience with early game is quite different. I am still trying to get to Vaults but all 5 my NaEn's did it to Lair. Training nothing but Stealth to 9 and putting exclusions on Adders, Ogres etc. did the trick for me.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 07:43

I managed the Tier II bonus!

Decided to dive into Abyss after clearing Spider and Shoals, and it worked out very very nicely. I would've preferred Slime, but still haven't found a single amulet in the entire game, much less rCorr or rMut. The game was incredibly tough through Lair, despite finding a whip of elec and Trog on D:2. Naga are a pretty horrible race until they get constrict, but now my char is relatively strong. Hopefully I can parlay this into a nice 6-rune win, though it's already a success even if it died soon.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 16:27

PSA: CDO will go down for maintenance on Thursday, may take up to 4 days to get back if I read the announcement correctly. People who play on CDO take note.

I normally play on CDO, but fortunately(?) I killed my GhHu early and haven't started on NaEn yet; I might do so on CLAN instead if CDO is still down over the weekend.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 09:30

Something casts a spell. WalkerBoh answers the druid's call!

(Sorry for the silliness :D )

Serious question, when's the deadline for NaEn? Since it started on Friday, then there should be less than 24 hours remaining? I'd like to know the deadline for wrapping up my NaEn game.

And yay, I got the Tier II bonus too! RNG smiled on me and gave me lots of items for which Evo is useful. Mainly an early staff of cold, but also a bunch of hex wands that let me get away with training only a little Hex skill.

And I never would have figured that Spc 8, Conj 12, Ice 13, and Air 5 was enough to get FCloud castable. So yay too for balanced skilling :) However, I want to try out the new Glaciate now, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way around pumping a ton of Ice and Conj to get it castable.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 10:23

DracheReborn wrote:Serious question, when's the deadline for NaEn? Since it started on Friday, then there should be less than 24 hours remaining? I'd like to know the deadline for wrapping up my NaEn game.

The deadlines are contained in the scoring sheet. For NaEn it is the 2014-03-07. Since new challenges are released at 7pm EST, I assume this is also your time for the deadline.

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
DracheReborn

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 14:17

Looks like Tedronai answered your call! He has it right.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 00:05

For DracheReborn and andinto, if you can finish your current games in the next day or two I'll count them. Thanks!

Pretty good participation from Division 2 this week, 3 out of 7. Looks like some people just couldn't handle the heat.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
and into

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 06:49

WalkerBoh: Seriously? That would be sweet! I had given up on my NaEn when it took me 2 hours to get through Vaults. I play extremely slow :oops:

edit: finished the game! thanks!

Return to The Dart Board