CSDC Week 1 - DgCj, CLOSED

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 18:38

Re: CSDC Week 1 - DgCj

WalkerBoh: Hey, no problem! It's a roguelike.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 18:41

Exactly. It will only make it sweeter when you eventually... make it to D:5 and die. :P

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 20:10

Bad news for those who not yet completed the (second) challenge:

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10752

I'm not sure if it's only my problem, but maybe it's related to the recent buff for Antaeus. If it affects everyone, it's not possible to kill him now :(

I have reported it on Mantis.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 20:15

TIER II BONUS CHANGED TO "COLLECT ICY RuNE"!!

Edit: updated to all caps so no one misses this.
Last edited by WalkerBoh on Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 20:18

Well, decide on it, because I already has the icy rune... :-)

I think I'll wait 1-2 days (I'm standing in Coc 7 now), and see what to do. I guess I'll have enough time to die in Zot 5 before the second week.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 20:22

I changed it. Feel free to go win. :)

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 23:13

Found and killed Anteus today...
It's a win with 15 runes for me... not a great score because I played with excessive carefulness... until I got the Orb, you'll imagine my stress-level when Gloorx Vloq decided to come and protect the Orb...
  Code:
180269 | Zot:5    | HP: 5/243 [Gloorx Vloq/dispel undead (55)]

You can find the dump here
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 04:48

Meh. Go splat. Tangled with two tentacled monstrosities, then failed to retreat to rest, got mobbed by a pack of yaktaurs, didn't use my escape tools. Fun run.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/HenryFlower/morgue-HenryFlower-20140130-044323.txt

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 05:00

HenryFlower wrote:Meh. Go splat. Tangled with two tentacled monstrosities, then failed to retreat to rest, got mobbed by a pack of yaktaurs, didn't use my escape tools. Fun run.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/HenryFlower/morgue-HenryFlower-20140130-044323.txt

I think our games were weirdly mirrored. Just died myself, in depths, with a character I totally could have won with. Heartbreaker.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 05:13

RIP. Saw both of you go down back to back, very sad. And congrats mopl, first one to get max challenge points. :)

Games in progress:
  Code:
ackack: L27 DgCj of No God
Cheibrodos: L27 DgCj of No God
sanka: L26 DgCj of No God
Sphara: L21 DgCj of No God
Arrhythmia: L16 DgCj of No God
TedronaiSDC: L16 DgCj of No God
fearitself: L16 DgCj of No God
some12fat2move: L14 DgCj of No God
nago: L14 DgCj of No God
adozu: L12 DgCj of No God
WalkerBoh: L9 DgCj of No God

Notable finished games:
  Code:
DgCj wins:
moose [160515 turns, 3 runes]
mopl [181028 turns, 15 runes]

Unwon DgCj w/ # of runes > 0:
andinto [1 rune]
aspy [2 runes]
HenryFlower [2 runes]
MorganLeah [3 runes]
tasonir [2 runes]

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 10:22

I have won with the icy rune (but without killing Antaeus, since he did not generated for me). The bug has been fixed, so others can kill him now.

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/sanka/morgue-sanka-20140130-101920.txt

It was really fun. DgCj is a strong combination. I found an early lajatang, so I went to melee. The other lucky find was a mottled dragon hide in late dungeon. I think that going to melee is the most solid plan for the combination (of course an early spellbook may change it), and lajatang is excellent. I branded it with a scroll to slicing, and enchanted it to +7/+7, and it was very good killing everything up to Hells.

Score is very bad for three reasons:
1. I was very very cautious, so I rested / retreated a lot. I'm lazy, so I also used autoexplore almost everywhere.
2. I kept travelling for items I left around. I hate to "optimize" for long travels to reduce turns.
3. I spent ages trying to find Asmodeus (killing the endless wave of Ice Fiends), just to finding out that he did not generate in my game due to a bug. At least I reported it quickly, and it has been fixed quickly for others. Thanks for the devs!

I memorized poison arrow just to kill Asmodeus with it and curare. It worked well for me in the past, and I do not think it would be hard if I can separate him from the Ice Fiends (which can be hard tough).

Thank you WalkerBoh, playing for challenge is much more fun!

Wating for the next challange!

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 17:03

Well, finally kicked the bucket : http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/git/aspy/morgue-aspy-20140129-200423.txt

A bit frustrating as DgCj is a really strong combo, but this character somehow felt weak in the endgame. I must have made strategic mistakes, but I can't really see which (Maybe I should have done Abyss instead? That doesn't sound right, though I really should have gone for Geryon first).

Anyway this challenge is quite fun, kudos to WalkerBoh for running it!

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 17:14

Nice win sanka! Surprised you didn't grab more runes with such a nice char.

A spy, I think I might have tried Elf first, though if you cleared Depths then Vaults:5 shouldn't have been too bad. With regards to strategic decisions, I would suggest focusing more on either conjurations or melee. More spell power for iron shot would be good if you wanted to be primarily killing tough guys with that. Or if the mace, I might not even have bothered with iron shot and grabbed heavier armour (dragon perhaps?) and buffed armour/dodging:fighting more.

Glad you guys are enjoying the challenges so far. :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 17:30

A spy wrote:I must have made strategic mistakes, but I can't really see which (Maybe I should have done Abyss instead?

Your .lst file shows many scrolls of immolation lying around in the dungeon. I would have used those to blow up the crowds of enemies in V:5.
Last edited by Tedronai on Thursday, 30th January 2014, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 17:31

WalkerBoh wrote:Nice win sanka! Surprised you didn't grab more runes with such a nice char.

I hate extended. I collected 15 rune once, I never look back :-) I always plan a 3 rune win. I only cleared Forest because I have never done it before, and only went for elf for some gold :-) (but let the final chamber alone).

A spy wrote:I must have made strategic mistakes, but I can't really see which !

The only thing I would do differently is to train only ~11 fighting skill and instead learn this:

Code:
Shadow Creatures                   Summoning                    5

A summoning spell can really really help you in many situations. (Of course this is based on the assumption that you did not find mottled dragon hide or similar very good armour.)

Also, a minor thing, but great maces are not as good in trunk that they used to be (their damage is decreased), so I usualy would learn a great sword if I cannot find any special weapon.

I still suspect it was a tactical rather than a strategical mistake. V$ can be tricky, I have died there not once. It's a very good level.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 18:20

sanka wrote:
  Code:
Shadow Creatures                   Summoning                    5

And I had a book of Dreams! I just facepalm'd so hard... (I know how good it is, I just assumed I hadn't found it somehow) Thanks for the good advice, maybe I'll make a post-it or something next time :lol:

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 19:32

sanka wrote:Also, a minor thing, but great maces are not as good in trunk that they used to be (their damage is decreased), so I usualy would learn a great sword if I cannot find any special weapon.

While great maces are less attractive relative to great swords than they used to be, they're still pretty damn good. I think for xp conservation Long Blades, M+F, or Staves are the weapon classes you should be looking at, depending on what you find early.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 05:11

Well I unfortunately succumbed in my game. Got nailed for 63 dam in Vaults by a human simulacra (animated by a necromancer in Margery's pack). Pretty bummed since it was a great char and probably could've nabbed the high score. Just one of those situations where I didn't recognize how much damage the enemies around me could do… But oh well, there's always next week. At least I got a couple runes. :)

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/WalkerBoh/morgue-WalkerBoh-20140131-045407.txt

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 05:14

Vaults and Depths have been lethal. Hey - what's with everyone playing DgCj as a stickfighter? Not the path that seems obvious to me :-)

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 05:31

Well I have an irrational love for staves and a rational hatred of playing primarily spell-casting characters, so when I found a quarterstaff on D:4 or so… Then I acquired a vampiric lajatang sometime before Lair (D:9 or D:10, I think), and it was over from there. Can't speak for anyone else though.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 05:33

Probably becuase Staves are the best weapon type in the game, especially if you want to get a high power:investment ratio.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 08:25

WalkerBoh wrote:Well I unfortunately succumbed in my game. Got nailed for 63 dam in Vaults by a human simulacra (animated by a necromancer in Margery's pack). Pretty bummed since it was a great char and probably could've nabbed the high score. Just one of those situations where I didn't recognize how much damage the enemies around me could do… But oh well, there's always next week. At least I got a couple runes. :)

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/WalkerBoh/morgue-WalkerBoh-20140131-045407.txt

Such a shame :( And I thought I had a pretty good turncount in comparison (52k with V:4 finished and 2 runes at the moment).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 08:53

HenryFlower wrote:Vaults and Depths have been lethal. Hey - what's with everyone playing DgCj as a stickfighter? Not the path that seems obvious to me :-)

Quaterstaff are among the best weapon among the base ones, and they're quite common too.
Latajang have one best experience required / effectiveness ratio in the game, which is a very strong advantage for a "hybrid" combo with below than average apts like DgCj.

That said, it isn't a general rule - for example in my game I had only one scroll of acquirement (wasted on staves) and when I choose which weapon train three scimitar of flaming were the best thing available, so I went long blade.

@walkerboh: ouch, that is a big hit - I had no idea plain human simulacra could hurt so much! I feel the pain for you
any reason why you didn't use at all the starting book? I find it very good (all kind of spell, pretty much only one school to train)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 09:02

nago wrote:I had no idea plain human simulacra could hurt so much!

If you're meleeing simulacra without rC you're setting yourself up for a bit of a surprise...

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 11:01

I know that simulacrum can do outrageous amount of damage - but hell knights have a rather normal plain one (23) - I don't know how simulacrum's damage output is calculated, but I've never thought it could be increased *so* much, respect monster's base damage (if plain damage is the value considered)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 14:36

First win for me! I cleared 2 branches which I'd never done before, elf and forest. Properly ran away from Mennas ( I think it was 3) and from Mara.

Oh the mistakes I made...nearly bought the farm early on in ice cave. 3 ice statues in triangle with 1 blocking doorway to treasure. I had no weapon and only dart and imb. Got lucky to get out but collected no treasure.

In zot 5 I struuuugggled. Only spell that was effective for me was ood. Went through about 8 bread and then had to cntrl- F food through out the dungeon. Came back and ancient lich got me to 1hp with me out of mana and stairs to far away. I heal wand. He blasts, yeah my hp have tripled! So at 3 hp I make the genius move. Yep, lamp of fire. This makes a nice circle-ish shape around it but luckily the 2 fire elementals distract it for a turn. Mr lich remembers me and fire an ood at me. Well, being fond of circles, I made one around Mr lich, the orb follows and blows him back to Hell or Pan...

Skipping ahead, I clumsily grab the orb and make my way up the stairs. Having never gotten the orb before, I was probably to enamored by it's pretty colors ( best reason not to play webtiles). I was chased, missed obvious things ( walkerboh says wasn't that the exit to the dungeon you passed ten steps ago?). At one point I am being chased by a fast pack oh Hell Hounds who are biting while I keep running, walkerboh yells You're an Ice Mage just kill them! He was right.

Finally on d1 a Pan lord and friends show ip Hellfire me to 13 hp. I duck around corner, use my only curing potion putting me at 20 or so, haste and dig to entrance then dashed. In my best Charlie Sheen voice "Winner"!

I had a few people watching what must have looked like a drunk monkey but all were supportive. Walkerboh and ackack both gave good and needed advice in zot and run up. Thank you.

For this message the author fearitself has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 15:21

@fearitself- Man that sounds like an epic zot!
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 15:52

fearitself wrote:Walkerboh and ackack both gave good and needed advice in zot and run up.

Division 1 is skewing the competition! :o Jokes aside, congrats on your first win. Not a trivial character either, you can be proud of that one!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 16:34

Well done! That gives me hope for the future :P

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 17:42

nago wrote:
HenryFlower wrote:Vaults and Depths have been lethal. Hey - what's with everyone playing DgCj as a stickfighter? Not the path that seems obvious to me :-)

Quaterstaff are among the best weapon among the base ones, and they're quite common too.
Latajang have one best experience required / effectiveness ratio in the game, which is a very strong advantage for a "hybrid" combo with below than average apts like DgCj.

I get why latajangs are awesome from an exp/kill perspective; just surprised. 14 staves then focus on armour/dodging/fighting beats the conj + spellcasting + ice + air + fighting + dodging approach I had to take with no major improvement on the killy for my path.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 20:33

HenryFlower wrote:
nago wrote:

I get why latajangs are awesome from an exp/kill perspective; just surprised. 14 staves then focus on armour/dodging/fighting beats the conj + spellcasting + ice + air + fighting + dodging approach I had to take with no major improvement on the killy for my path.

Damn ! Am I the only one who did not hybridize ??
Online stats

Barkeep

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 20:48

mopl wrote:Damn ! Am I the only one who did not hybridize ??

Early falchion of electrocution, later replaced by a demon blade of electrocution (nabbed from Mara), made it hard to do otherwise for my dude. Without a god there is even more pressure to adapt to anywhere you get some (or a lot) of luck from the RNG. Unfortunately a quicksilver dragon (plus a bunch of dudes who joined in as the fight was progressing, terrible luck there) did me in.

I actually found a lajatang too, but at that point I had already put a good amount in long blades. Otherwise I would have gone with staves, too. :)

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 21:51

I managed to win with 10 runes and killed Geryon, but I'm not too happy with how sloppy my character progression was this game. I started out wanting to hybridize early into melee, but found no good base weapons and instead found several good conjurations books. From there I went heavy into spellcasting, but almost all of my random skillpoints pumped dexterity leaving me with sickeningly low intelligence for a demigod. With mediocre spellpower, I decided I would take the ninja approach for my 15 runes and invested in Shatter. Little did I know that apportation would not generate a single time in my game, so my options were limited as I had less sustainable offense than I am comfortable with against all the durable and/or flying enemies in extended. By the time I found the necronomicon it was too late to skill into the DDoor-Borg combo, and I decided to call it quits before I got myself killed in Hell.

I eagerly await the next combo announcement.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Cheibrodos/ ... 213720.txt
take it easy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 21:58

I get the strategy, but seeing ninja approach and Shatter together is still freaking hilarious. That's a Michael Bay ninja movie right there.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 31st January 2014, 22:11

TeshiAlair wrote:I get the strategy, but seeing ninja approach and Shatter together is still freaking hilarious. That's a Michael Bay ninja movie right there.

The climax of the film was when I blasted open Gloorx's hideout, tanked his and five executioners' hits while terminator-walking towards the rune, and teleported away.
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks:
and into

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 01:01

Tedronai wrote:And I thought I had a pretty good turncount in comparison (52k with V:4 finished and 2 runes at the moment).

Well, finding a ring of regen before D:4 and a vamp lajatang early certainly helps with speed. ;)

nago wrote:@walkerboh: ouch, that is a big hit - I had no idea plain human simulacra could hurt so much! I feel the pain for you
any reason why you didn't use at all the starting book? I find it very good (all kind of spell, pretty much only one school to train)

Yeah, it was one of those situations where I died before I even knew I was in real danger. That hasn't happened to me in quite a while! I think it was exacerbated by the fact that it was probably a simulacrum of Margery that hit me, so its HD was likely quite high. But still, 63 damage in one hit for a char with the defenses I had… Quite a nasty surprise.

I used magic dart through like, D:5, but I amnesia'd most of the spells later. I really can't stand playing predominantly casting characters for a variety of reasons, so I always go to melee as early as possible. I'll keep utility spells like flight, but Cj doesn't start with any of those.

fearitself wrote:I had a few people watching what must have looked like a drunk monkey but all were supportive. Walkerboh and ackack both gave good and needed advice in zot and run up. Thank you.

"I blink into the Orb chamber nearly surrounded by enemies and run around for 10 turns. Walker and ackack yell 'Quaff brilliance! Apport the orb!' I teleport away empty-handed." :P Congrats on the win, you certainly did make an interesting time of it. But for a first win, that is quite impressive.

Nice win for you too, Cheibrodos. Ninja'ing Pan runes without apport sounds… interesting haha. Glad you pulled it out (kind of).

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 10:50

and into wrote:
mopl wrote:Damn ! Am I the only one who did not hybridize ??

Early falchion of electrocution, later replaced by a demon blade of electrocution (nabbed from Mara), made it hard to do otherwise for my dude. Without a god there is even more pressure to adapt to anywhere you get some (or a lot) of luck from the RNG. Unfortunately a quicksilver dragon (plus a bunch of dudes who joined in as the fight was progressing, terrible luck there) did me in.

I actually found a lajatang too, but at that point I had already put a good amount in long blades. Otherwise I would have gone with staves, too. :)

Well, I also found the autumn katana pretty early (lvl 13 in Lab) and can't say I didn't use it
  Code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Katana            |       |       |       |       |  1096 |   546 |   723 |   567 |   952 ||  3884

But I was happy of the damage it dealt and never trained any LBlades...
I always felt like I couldn't 'waste' XP by training too much different skills...(of course wild magic 2 didn't help, and I was maybe too focused on damaging spells to think to melee weapon)
Online stats

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 13:12

finally done

Could have gone for an all-runer, but like WalkerBoh I despise playing casters... Thus I've settled for 3 runes with Bonus 1. Initially I wanted to stay below the 70k turn mark, my need for mana in V:5 and Z:5 thwarted those plans however.

All in all DgCj is a pretty playable combo due to the strong starting book (even though I don't like playing it).

Personal act of silliness during the ascension:
  Code:
You awkwardly throw a royal jelly.
The royal jelly hits the giant cockroach.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 21:37

Tedronai wrote:Could have gone for an all-runer, but like WalkerBoh I despise playing casters...

Personal act of silliness during the ascension:
  Code:
You awkwardly throw a royal jelly.
The royal jelly hits the giant cockroach.

From a recent win of mine...
  Code:
You awkwardly throw a wand of disintegration.
The wand of disintegration hits Teuvuaw.
Teuvuaw gestures.
Enter note: YES
Teuvuaw gestures.
You have escaped!

Hating casters and throwing stuff at enemies on the ascent is a time-honored AWBW tradition. You should be proud. :)

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 21:58

It's not a real win unless you leave the dungeon grasping your snozzcumber.
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 00:42

I suicided because of persistent, unbearable lag. I probably won't be playing any games online in the future for this, but I'll definitely follow along offline. Fun challenge though!
take it easy

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 02:00

Done!

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14-a0-2374-ge879b5e (webtiles) character file.

2658675 nago the Acrobat (level 27, 248/248 HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Conjurer on Jan 27, 2014.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 6 runes on Feb 2, 2014!

The game lasted 10:18:01 (142136 turns).

nago the Acrobat (Demigod Conjurer)               Turns: 142136, Time: 10:18:01

HP 248/248       AC 22     Str 16      XL: 27
MP  37/42        EV 31     Int 40      God:
Gold 4262        SH 12     Dex 20      Spells: 17 memorised,  2 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     a - staff of conjuration {!a}
rCold  . . .     Rnd*Rage +     N - +6 mottled dragon armour
rNeg   . . .     Conserve .     v - +0 buckler {AC+3}
rPois  .         rCorr    .     m - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  .         rRot     .     h - +0 cloak
SustAb + .       Spirit   .     G - +0 pair of gloves of Piydeo Daxar {Str+2 Int+3}
rMut   +         Warding  .     f - +0 pair of elf boots
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     l - amulet of resist mutation
MR     +++..                    e - ring of fire
                                q - ring of Foczeodo {SustAb rC+}

@: slightly contaminated, hasted, glowing, very quick, extremely resistant to
hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: talons 1, berserk 1, blurry vision 1, deformed body, deterioration 1, low mp
1, magic resistance 1, screaming 1
a: no special abilities
0: Orb of Zot
}: 6/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, icy, bone

You escaped.
You were not hungry.

You visited 13 branches of the dungeon, and saw 77 of its levels.
You visited 2 bazaars.
You also visited: Trove, Sewer, Ice Cave and Volcano.

You collected 8192 gold pieces.
You spent 3930 gold pieces at shops.

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have sharp toenails.
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
Your vision is a little blurry.
Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body.
Your body is slowly deteriorating.
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.
You occasionally shout uncontrollably.

Skills:
 - Level 20.4 Fighting
 - Level 14.0 Long Blades
 - Level 10.0 Armour
 - Level 22.1 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 - Level 5.1 Shields
 - Level 19.2 Spellcasting
 - Level 17.3 Conjurations
 - Level 9.0 Charms
 - Level 7.8 Necromancy
 - Level 13.0 Translocations
 - Level 15.0 Fire Magic
 + Level 8.5 Earth Magic
 - Level 12.0 Evocations

You had 2 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Phase Shift           Tloc           #######...   1%          5    None
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          0%          2    None
c - Agony                 Necr           #######.     1%          5    None
d - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          2    None
e - Apportation           Tloc           #######...   0%          1    None
f - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
g - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #######...   1%          3    None
h - Haste                 Chrm           #######.     2%          6    None
n - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #######...   1%          2    None
q - Dispel Undead         Necr           #######.     1%          5    None
s - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ######..     1%          2    None
t - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      #######...   1%          4    None
x - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      ########..   1%          6    None
y - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          6    None
A - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ######....   1%          2    None
B - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          3%          7    None
R - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #####...     1%          1    None

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 b - a +6,+6 demon blade of flaming
Armour
 f - a +0 pair of elven boots (worn)
 h - a +0 cloak (worn)
 m - a +2 helmet of intelligence (worn)
 v - a +0 buckler of protection (worn)
 G - the +0 pair of gloves of Piydeo Daxar (worn) {Str+2 Int+3}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Elven Halls)   

It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your intelligence (+3).
 N - a +6 mottled dragon armour (worn)
Magical devices
 j - a wand of digging (4)
 n - a wand of disintegration (14)
 p - a wand of teleportation (6)
 t - a wand of cold (8)
 z - a wand of heal wounds (9)
 F - a wand of digging (2)
 P - a wand of fire (8)
 Q - a wand of hasting (7)
 V - a wand of teleportation (6)
 Z - a wand of teleportation (0)
Comestibles
 i - 4 oranges
 s - 2 bread rations
Scrolls
 A - a scroll of remove curse {!r!D}
 U - a scroll of recharging {!D}
 X - a scroll of identify
Jewellery
 e - a ring of fire (right hand)
 k - a cursed +0,+8 ring of slaying
 l - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
 o - an uncursed ring of see invisible
 q - the ring of Foczeodo (left hand) {SustAb rC+}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of sustain abilities]
   It protects you from cold.
 x - the amulet of the Four Winds {Clar rN+ MR++}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Pits of Slime)   

[amulet of clarity]
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
 J - a cursed ring of protection from fire
 R - the ring "Tymawy" {Wiz +Rage Str+3}
   (You took it off an ironbrand convoker on level 5 of the Vaults)   

[ring of wizardry]
   It affects your strength (+3).
   It lets you go berserk.
Potions
 d - 5 potions of restore abilities {!q!D}
 B - 7 potions of agility
 D - 8 potions of curing
 E - 8 potions of heal wounds
 L - 2 potions of magic {!q!D}
 O - a potion of resistance {!q!D}
 T - a potion of cure mutation {!q!D}
 Y - 2 potions of might
Magical staves
 a - an uncursed staff of conjuration (weapon) {!a}
 c - an uncursed staff of energy {!a}
 w - an uncursed staff of fire
Miscellaneous
 r - a phial of floods
 C - a phial of floods
 H - a phial of floods
 I - a lamp of fire

▒·▒    ▒Z▒··▒·▒  ▒··▒▒▒·▒
▒·▒   ▒▒▒▒··▒▒▒  ▒··▒▒▒·▒
▒·▒   ▒Z▒·3·▒Z▒  ▒·▒··▒·▒
▒·▒   ▒▒▒···▒▒▒  ▒··▒·▒·▒
▒·▒▒  ▒Z▒·4·▒·▒  ▒··%···▒
▒··▒  ▒▒▒·42▒▒▒  ▒▒▒▒·▒▒▒
▒▒·▒  ▒Z▒···▒Z▒▒▒   ▒·▒
 ▒·▒  ▒▒▒···▒▒▒·▒   ▒·▒
 ▒·▒▒▒▒ ▒▒@▒▒ ▒·▒▒▒▒▒·▒
 ▒····▒  ▒▒▒  ▒·······▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒       ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

You could see a balrug, a sun demon, 2 red devils, a kobold skeleton and an orc
skeleton.

Message History

(V) Vaults         (B) Hall of Blades (H) Hell           (I) Dis           
(G) Gehenna        (X) Cocytus        (Y) Tartarus       (Z) Zot           
(F) Forest         (U) Depths         
Where to? (Enter - D:1 @ (x,y), ? - help)
You see here an orcish club.
You see here a robe.
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
A bat comes into view.
The bat moves out of view. You block the bat's attack.
Aiming: Iron Shot
Aim: a bat
The iron shot hits the bat.
You kill the bat!
(D) Dungeon        (T) Temple         (O) Orcish Mines   (E) Elven Halls   
(L) Lair           (S) Swamp          (P) Snake Pit      (M) Slime Pits     
(V) Vaults         (B) Hall of Blades (H) Hell           (I) Dis           
(G) Gehenna        (X) Cocytus        (Y) Tartarus       (Z) Zot           
(F) Forest         (U) Depths         
Where to? (Enter - D:1 @ (x,y), ? - help)
There is an open door here.
Magic restored.
A balrug comes into view. It is wielding a demon whip.
A sun demon comes into view.
A red devil comes into view. It is wielding a trident.
A red devil comes into view. It is wielding a demon trident.
Aiming: Haste
You feel yourself speed up.
The red devil misses you.
There is a staircase leading out of the dungeon here.
You have escaped!

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Whip              |    12 |     5 |    12 |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    29
       Spear             |       |       |    18 |    10 |       |       |       |       |       ||    28
       Long sword        |       |       |       |   196 |    34 |       |       |       |       ||   230
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |    13 ||    14
       Scimitar          |       |       |       |       |   221 |   275 |   277 |       |       ||   773
       Demon blade       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   190 |   368 |  2080 ||  2638
 Fire: Blowgun           |       |     9 |    10 |    77 |     3 |       |       |       |     1 ||   100
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    82 |    92 |   258 |   390 |   221 |    13 |       |       |       ||  1056
       Searing Ray       |     5 |    25 |    33 |    17 |       |       |       |       |       ||    80
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |       |    41 |   122 |   143 |    40 |    30 |       |       ||   376
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |       |    23 |   150 |   822 |   576 |   450 |       |       ||  2021
       Fireball          |       |       |     1 |    43 |    98 |    47 |    52 |     7 |       ||   248
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |     6 |    16 |    49 |    73 |   126 |    56 ||   326
       Ozocubu's Armour  |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       |       |       ||     2
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |    19 |   214 |   325 |   177 |   342 ||  1077
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |     8 |     1 |    13 |    21 |    17 ||    60
       Flight            |       |       |       |       |       |     9 |     1 |     1 |    14 ||    25
       Sublimation of Bl |       |       |       |       |       |   116 |   373 |   480 |   289 ||  1258
       Agony             |       |       |       |       |       |    55 |   231 |   105 |    10 ||   401
       Stoneskin         |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |     1 |     1 ||     3
       Dispel Undead     |       |       |       |       |       |       |    81 |    96 |   193 ||   370
       Swiftness         |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |     1 |     3 ||     8
       Iron Shot         |       |       |       |       |       |       |    27 |   596 |   447 ||  1070
       Haste             |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |    26 |    35 ||    65
       Control Teleport  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    11 |     3 ||    14
       Phase Shift       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    10 |    31 ||    41
       Regeneration      |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   147 ||   147
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     8 ||     8
       Controlled Blink  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     4
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     5 |     6 |     7 |     4 |     7 |     1 |    25 ||    55
       Rod               |       |       |     1 |     3 |     3 |       |       |       |       ||     7
       Staff of energy   |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |    76 |   160 ||   237
       Horn of Geryon    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
       Lamp of fire      |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
       Phial of floods   |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
  Use: Scroll            |     2 |    16 |     5 |    19 |    17 |     2 |    23 |    19 |    22 ||   125
       Potion            |       |       |       |     3 |     1 |     2 |     2 |     2 |    20 ||    30
 Stab: Sleeping          |       |       |       |     1 |     1 |       |       |       |     3 ||     5
       Distracted        |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 |       |       |       ||     2

Vault maps used:
D:1:      shiori_arrival_whats_in_store_for_you
D:2:      minmay_misc_feat_diagonals, minmay_strange_pillars, uniq_jessica,
          uniq_terence
D:3:      serial_glass, glass_columns_b, glass_columns_a
D:4:      zin_treasury, cheibriados_altar_1, minmay_temple_entry_grid,
          first_bread, gup_sewer_entry_spiral, hangedman_decor_points
D:5:      kiku_gazebo_garden_becter, serial_shops, shop, shop, shop,
          lasty_cornered_adventurer, uniq_crazy_yiuf_cottage, uniq_sigmund,
          uniq_menkaure
D:6:      lemuel_crystal_altar, lemuel_round_altar, basic_altar,
          hangedman_minor_gate_pass
D:8:      grunt_temple_overflow_diamond, hangedman_stone_soup
D:9:      serial_shops, shop, roderic_ancient_swastika
D:10:     uniq_urug
D:11:     david_lair_generic, serial_column_ruins, column_ruins_hut_ruined,
          column_ruins_grid_3, column_ruins_open_small,
          column_ruins_open_tiny_water, column_ruins_open_tiny,
          minmay_statue_crystal_thing, uniq_erica
D:12:     erik_orc_4, portal_ice_cave_entry_ice_beasts
D:13:     lemuel_flamethrower_3, uniq_sonja, uniq_nessos
D:14:     david_vaults_5, serial_shops, shop
D:15:     serial_glass, glass_columns_a, glass_columns_b, glass_columns_c,
          glass_columns_c, glass_columns_a, glass_columns_a, glass_columns_b,
          glass_columns_b, glass_columns_c, glass_columns_a,
          due_unseen_surprise, feat_on_display, item_on_display_a,
          minmay_strange_pillars, grunt_ministairs_15
D:16:     grunt_enter_depths_hoard, uniq_maud, uniq_rupert
Orc:1:    basic_altar
Orc:2:    serial_shops, shop
Orc:3:    nicolae_orc_pool_cavern, uniq_donald, uniq_gastronok
Orc:4:    serial_shops, bzr_entry_islet, st_orc_congregation,
          hangedman_minor_magic, uniq_harold
Elf:1:    eino_elf_arrival_customs, serial_shops, shop_statue, shop
Lair:2:   patterned_corridor, zaba_anthole, infiniplex_staircase_pool,
          uniq_nergalle
Lair:4:   serial_bayou_shore_a, uniq_snorg
Lair:5:   blue_anna_fruit_fields, serial_bayou_ford_a
Lair:6:   minmay_swamp_entry_worms, guppyfry_snake_entry_island,
          nicolae_volcano_entry_lava_flow, eino_house_with_fridge
Lair:7:   minivault_24
Lair:8:   evil_forest, minmay_slime_entry_pillars
Swamp:2:  st_swamp_mini
Swamp:3:  swamp_pool1
Swamp:4:  swamp_pool5, hangedman_swamp_blocks
Swamp:5:  swamp_old_school, uniq_louise
Snake:1:  lemuel_fruit_tree
Snake:2:  nicolae_coiled_stairwell_up
Snake:3:  grunt_megastairs_4
Snake:4:  uniq_wiglaf
Snake:5:  snake_hunt, serial_shops, shop, grunt_ministairs_2
Slime:4:  basic_altar
Slime:5:  nicolae_slime_barrier, nicolae_slime_phagocytosis
Vaults:1: vaults_dpeg_hooks, vaults_room_door_ring, hangedman_vaults_variations,
          vaults_room_corners, ontoclasm_vaults_tryst,
          nicolae_vaults_what_the_h, nicolae_vaults_three_branches,
          vaults_standard_mumra_x, v_pattern_4, st_hourglassy,
          nicolae_vaults_little_squares_4, vaults_dpeg_ring, vaults_room_grid,
          nicolae_trove_entry_columns, uniq_aizul, uniq_jorgrun
Vaults:2: grunt_forest_entry_clearing, v_misc_31,
          nicolae_vaults_windows_and_doors_thing, v_misc_28,
          ontoclasm_vaults_gateway, st_lattice, nicolae_vaults_little_squares_3,
          ontoclasm_vaults_pinch, vaults_room_hallway, serial_shops,
          bzr_entry_customers, shop_statue, shop_statue, nicolae_shop_trees,
          basic_altar
Vaults:3: nicolae_vaults_blade_hurt_lockers, st_check,
          nicolae_vaults_little_squares_5, ontoclasm_vaults_twist,
          ontoclasm_vaults_misaligned, v_rooms_2, hangedman_vaults_trim,
          dpeg_vaults_monster_box, hangedman_vaults_slice, serial_shops,
          shop_fountains, uniq_margery
Vaults:4: hangedman_vaults_slice, nicolae_vaults_display_case,
          nicolae_vaults_rhombus_5, nicolae_vaults_arrows,
          nicolae_vaults_triangles, v_rooms_3, v_pattern_2,
          nicolae_vaults_little_squares_4, v_alt_pattern_2, serial_shops, shop,
          uniq_agnes
Coc:2:    lemuel_elevator
Coc:3:    minmay_fire_ice_demons
Coc:7:    coc_old
Tar:2:    nicolae_tar_cuneiform_bread
Tar:5:    nicolae_tar_cuneiform_oil
Tar:6:    nicolae_tar_cuneiform_oil
Tar:7:    tar_grunt_ereshkigal, tar_grunt_big_loot, tar_grunt_small_loot,
          tar_grunt_small_loot, tar_grunt_small_loot, tar_grunt_decor_4,
          tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar, tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar,
          tar_grunt_decor_3, tar_grunt_decor_4, tar_grunt_decor_8,
          tar_grunt_decor_cross_diag, tar_grunt_decor_cross_ortho,
          tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar, tar_grunt_decor_6,
          tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar, tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar,
          tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar, tar_grunt_decor_6,
          tar_grunt_small_decor_pillar
Zot:1:    grunt_megastairs_2
Zot:4:    zot_minivault_5, lemuel_zot_downstairs
Bazaar:   bazaar_minmay_row, bazaar_minmay_snake
Trove:    trove_wands_scrolls
Sewer:    sewer_kobolds
IceCv:    ice_cave_tombish
Volcano:  volcano_overflow
Depths:1: dpeg_oklob_gauntlet, hangedman_coc_ice_floe, lemuel_crystal_altar,
          hangedman_decor_riveting, uniq_norris
Depths:2: hangedman_opposites_gauntlet, hangedman_tar_grid_catacomb,
          columned_hall_lemuel
Depths:3: minmay_textured_paths, minmay_misc_feat_room, rand_demon_pan_entry_4,
          hell_entry, hex_large, kennysheep_mini_moat
Depths:4: grunt_runaround, hell_entry, abyss_entry
Depths:5: mludivico_vault, grunt_hell_entry_demonic_statue,
          corexii_leaking_fountain, infiniplex_staircase_trident,
          serial_bayou_shore_b
Depths:6: grunt_zot_entry_tricorne, hell_entry, hangedman_abyss_or_decor_slice

I loathe Cj, I loathe Dg (or better, I love too much Crawl's gods to bear the atheism of Dg) and I loathe below than average apts races (at least they have good hp) , so I'm quite content I managed to finish this game with both bonuses and the minimum of runes to get 2 points. I hope Dg won't be choosed for another round because I won't stand to play one for a very long time.
The turncounts is terrible, but I'm a slow player, and I'm even slower when playing "caster" characters and taking a lot of break in a single game.

I was quite lucky in the early game, with a early (before Lair) book of fire drop and a staff of conjuration (around Lair). With those two, I had very easy time in Lair, Orc and D. Then I had some problems, because of the shitty equipment and awful MR (I cleared vaults and half of depths with 8ish ac and one + of MR), which caused to lose even more turns.
Overall I'm happy it was a sudden death character, otherwise I'd probably suicided him against the first stone giant avaiable.

Oh, thanks to the forgotten man who suggested me to curare Geryon - I brought shame to the first division, not knowing he isn't rpois! :D

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 04:02

Personally, I like Dg quite a bit. Re: the high HP, this is true in early D (where it matters most), but in the long run the terrible XP apt makes them play more like a 0 HP apt race, at least for 3 runers. For this reason I think you could move Dg XP apt back to -1 instead of -2 and still have them be pretty balanced, since no god is the real major handicap.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 08:29

I think Dg is a realy good race, and DgCj was a really good choice.

The only race which I really hate to play (from the stable ones) is felid. I secretly hope we sont have a felid challenge.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 09:29

Arrhythmia wrote:I suicided because of persistent, unbearable lag. I probably won't be playing any games online in the future for this, but I'll definitely follow along offline. Fun challenge though!

Really that bad? You've quite a few games online, you obviously managed in the past... Alternatively you could try the new server. It is very empty at the moment and thus should provide a decent latency.

nago wrote:Oh, thanks to the forgotten man who suggested me to curare Geryon - I brought shame to the first division, not knowing he isn't rpois! :D

That would have been me :)

sanka wrote:The only race which I really hate to play (from the stable ones) is felid. I secretly hope we sont have a felid challenge.

This is a challenge! Clearly we're playing FeCK next!

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
nago

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 17:45

Well I can't guarantee felid won't get selected. However, there's a 14 in 23 chance it won't, if that makes you feel any better. For the record, I also strongly dislike playing felids.

Also, although I didn't specifically say so anywhere in the rules, if I roll a race or class that we've already played, I'll re-roll. So you won't see any more Dg or any more Cj challenges. With only 10 challenges, there's no reason to play the same race or class more than once - I'd rather have good variety.

And Week 2 isn't FeCK, but uh, you'll see. :)

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 6th February 2014, 01:11

Reminder to some12fat2move, hirsch, yermak, and njvack: you have 4 days left to finish your DgCj games!

With those 4 games still pending, the relevant stats for Week 1:
  Code:
Top Score   12,814,938
Top Player   ackack
Games Played   44 / 48
Games Won   9 (20.5%)
Games w/ Rune   16 (36.4%)

Pretty outstanding overall!

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 6th February 2014, 23:21

Is finding Elemental Staff must for this first combo?! Tedronai and Tasonir said here they had it. It seems to Me that I saw it on one more DgCj. And now I found it. Equal footing, eh?
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 7th February 2014, 01:47

I also had the elemental staff! Crazy.
take it easy

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th February 2014, 13:53

I feel cheated! Don't think I've found it on any character ever and clearly it's as common as a +1 dagger.
PreviousNext

Return to The Dart Board