Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges Season 1 - Complete

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 19:54

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges - Week 7 Has Begun

Having separate divisions can influence players decision, for example I went speed-running for 3 runes with MfFi to get +3 points, I would not do it if all players were in one division. Another example is my TeSk who worshiped Jiyva just to guarantee one rune but have hard time with winning, again I would not do it with a single division. I agree separate divisions have downsides, it is not fair if a better player does not make it to next round because she happened to be in Division 1 which is full of top players.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 20:00

On a side note. A few days ago I had a discussion with Bart and Yermak about the scoring system.

We kind of agreed that the weekly rankings are skewing the competition a bit. They lead to players waiting other players out to see what score they have to get to be number 1 that week. Also they seem to reward those the most who already accumulated the most tournament points. We concluded (correct me if I'm wrong!) that it would be best to ditch those ratings and only reward winning (and reaching different milestones over the course of the game) with tournament points (this goes together with what Moose proposes with "static challenges").

I guess it is too late to change the scoring system now. However I think discussing this now will benefit following Seasons of CSDC.

It would be nice if Yermak and Bart could reiterate their reasoning. One of you made a really good point on why it is impossible to equitably judge the weekly high score.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 20:08

Thank you for all the feedback! These are all things I considered and thought about at length before the competition. I'm more than happy to make changes for next season and appreciate any input on what aspects people enjoy, dislike, etc. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 20:08

Tedronai wrote:They lead to players waiting other players out to see what score they have to get to be number 1 that week. Also they seem to reward those the most who already accumulated the most tournament points. We concluded (correct me if I'm wrong!) that it would be best to ditch those ratings and only reward winning (and reaching different milestones over the course of the game) with tournament points (this goes together with what Moose proposes with "static challenges").

I completely agree. First, it reminds me professional sport competitions with separate start when last player is aware of all results and can plan accordingly, it is not fair. Second, it really encourages speedrunning. Personally I dislike speedrunning, I don't like to do stupid things which are dangerous and luck-dependent especially when I have only one attempt in SDC.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 21:39

Tedronai wrote:(...)
We kind of agreed that the weekly rankings are skewing the competition a bit. They lead to players waiting other players out to see what score they have to get to be number 1 that week. Also they seem to reward those the most who already accumulated the most tournament points. We concluded (correct me if I'm wrong!) that it would be best to ditch those ratings and only reward winning (and reaching different milestones over the course of the game) with tournament points (this goes together with what Moose proposes with "static challenges").
(...)
It would be nice if Yermak and Bart could reiterate their reasoning. One of you made a really good point on why it is impossible to equitably judge the weekly high score.

Well... I would be happier if we could fairly reward players with weekly high scores, but it is not possible in Crawl's case. Knowing results of players who already played their challenge affects gameplay of others in a bad way and to a high degree. In perfect world everybody would play the best they can, but instead people are now encouraged to play just sufficiently to get first position (and players who finished the challenge cannot improve their results anymore). On the other hand, such behavior cannot be eliminated completely, because even if we grant points for challenges only, knowing weekly results of other players will still cause behavior like "I really need to complete the challenge, otherwise I'll lose one point to the leader!"

What's the best solution then? I sign under Tedronai's statement - CSDC would be more pleasant without weekly ratings. In this place I would happily see:
- Some early, fixed tournament challenge, e.g. point for getting to the temple.
- Third tier of weekly challenge at difficulty in between of current two.
- Bonus for 15-runner or at least 10+, because some people (or me only?) would like to be still rewarded for increased effort!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 21:41

Bart et al: If part of the problem is players waiting out the competitors, what about giving some bonus to early achievers?

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 21:47

dpeg wrote:Bart et al: If part of the problem is players waiting out the competitors, what about giving some bonus to early achievers?

It rewards people with the most free time - not skill. I could never get a bonus like that. To finish a game I pretty much have to spread out the play time over the whole week.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:00

I think it could work if we e.g. gave additional point for everybody completing the game (winning?) during first week. I think such bait is more than enough.
We have two weeks for each challenge. Even if somebody would not have time to play in the first week, he could still make use of knowing other's results in week two. I know it's not the same, but come on - it's also not a tournament with $5k prize, so there's no point to treat it overly seriously :)
Last edited by Bart on Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

I think a fair system is possible if players get one point for each rune, some points for win and some points for completing additional challenges.
So if you win with 15 runes and tier 2 bonus, you are guaranteed to share first place (unless there is a player who gets first rune before XL 12). No extra points to weekly winners, the most stable player would win the whole competition.

Zot Zealot

This issue of waiting is why I put in the 2-week deadline, and also why I added in points for bonuses and runes. My thought was that even if you don't get the highest score, if you do the bonus and get 6 runes your score will not suffer much in comparison. I do agree there are issues with it though, more than I anticipated - especially for divisions where winning the challenge does not require winning the game for most weeks.

There are two main questions I have for you all that would really help me when considering changes for next season:

1. Did you attempt the bonuses? If not, why?
2. When playing, do you care more for competing against players in your division or all players overall?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:12

1). I always try to get tier 1 bonus. Bonus 2 is too dangerous for me usually but I carefully analyze it also.
2). Vs my division only. I know I have no chance to win the whole tournament.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:13

WalkerBoh wrote:1. Did you attempt the bonuses? If not, why?

For me it is raw calculation for points. I did tier-2 for DrCK because it did not matter too much. You can't reliably plan a game with Xom anyways. On the other hand I did not even plan on trying Zig:20 with MfFi. The risk does not justify the bonus points in any way.

WalkerBoh wrote:2. When playing, do you care more for competing against players in your division or all players overall?

I can't compare myself overall, because I'm only looking at the tournament points - not high scores. If I was to compete with division 1 I would probably never go for "just" 3 runes. Again it is raw calculation: What do I need to do to get the best points/risks ratio.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:14

Also I just want to mention that this season was intended as a total proof of concept to see if the idea would be fun/generate interest. I was really blown away by how many people signed up and overall how active it has been (originally I anticipated no more than 15 players!). For a test season I am quite pleased, and I'm very confident I can work out the kinks and have a more polished format for future seasons. :)

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 3
and into, DracheReborn, Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:15

1) I fully embrace the bonuses. Died trying get a II.
2) I don't look at the list at all.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:22

1. Yes, I attempt to get bonuses unless I find challenges too risky. They add colours to my game... and some points, possibly.

Let me also use this opportunity to give opinion on each individual challenge (I hope it is useful):
Wk 1 was a fine challenge for me, not unusual, though.
Wk 2 challenge was too risky for me to attempt it. Chaos Knight is dangerous without abandoning Xom and risk is greater than benefits. Unfair deaths are no pleasure to me.
Wk 3 challenge was nice, although too difficult for my character to try getting 2nd tier.
Wk 4 ended prematurely for me, but I liked the idea and would probably try getting it.
Wk 5 was great fun for me, the most interesting week of all! I was far away from my safety zone and thinking heavily how to succeed on my quest :)
Wk 6 was bland. Entering ziggurat is almost the same as getting 3 runes. On the other hand, sane webtilers wouldn't touch 2 tier :P I'd like the challenge more if it was z:7 for tier I and z:14 for tier II.
Wk 7 - not done yet, I promise to attempt both if I do not die early :)
Overall I rate challenges as refreshing and pleasant. Thank you for them!

2. My division is more important, although the most important is score itself.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 22:44

1) I do hope to try to go for the challenges (though before my most recent game i've never gotten far enough for them to actually matter :lol:) as long as they don't change the path I would have taken with my character too much (like going to Tomb, clearing 2 levels of crypt after vaults isn't unreasonable). Either way, they're a fun goal.
2) Being in a division is a nice innate consolation: in week 1, I only made it to Lair, but I managed to be the second best. If you didn't win a game, in no week (except DrCK) would you be in the top 4.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 00:31

Survival is job #1. I'll do nothing to impede survival.

WalkerBoh wrote:2. When playing, do you care more for competing against players in your division or all players overall?

No. I care more for the sudden death challenge -- getting handed a build I would probably not have played, and getting one shot at making it work. How I rank relative to anyone else is unimportant (although at my level of play, relative ranking is just bad/worse).

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 07:09

As one of the people completing challenges late, I'm starting to feel guilty from the discussion :D Though it's not deliberate strategy, I started late on one combo and it's had a knock-on effect on my other games (1 week is normally not enough time for me for a game that reaches, say, Vaults). FWIW, I wouldn't mind future challenges awarding bonus points for week 1 completion.

2. When playing, do you care more for competing against players in your division or all players overall?

1. On whether they are achievable. I don't mind going a bit outside of my normal flow to get a bonus, but not if they look very hard for the character. For example, on the Evo challenge, I would have given up on the bonus if I didn't find Evo items early.

2. Mostly I just try to get as far as I can each game. But as wheals says, it's a nice consolation if your game ends but you realize you still managed top 3 in your division.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 11:42

I also finish late usually (when I don't die early), but that's because I'm playing very slowly, partly due to horrible connection, partly not being used to console (webtiles is just unusable for me), and also just being slow in general. I try to start as early as possible though.

I attempt to get the bonuses unless they seem too dangerous, like Depths 6 before lair, or zig 20. Winning the game is more important to me.

I care the most about my division, though I also tend to compare myself with all participants. I'm actually quite surprised that I'm able to compete with the general public (except div1, it's just ridiculous how orange it is).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 12:02

First of all, in the lower divisions, most character die in the early game, so only a few of them have a chance to worry about bonuses :D
Of the Tier I bonuses, I think 5 out of 7 were worth attempting. Of the remaining 2, the week 2 bonus (entering Abyss:5) is insanely dangerous, while the week 3 bouns (entering Depths before Lair) is dangerous and inconvenient.

Tier II bonuses are always too dangerous.

I just play my game, not caring about others. In the lower divisions, winning a game practically guarantees you 1st place (or if you are really unlucky, 2nd). Even getting a single rune is a good shot for a good place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 13:34

Side note. I am not sure giving extra points for the fastest win in division is a good idea when we don't know in advance which combos will be played next weeks. I mean I tried to speedrun MfFi (some players tried the same with NaEn as far as I know) hoping it will give me 3 points but it could be a mistake if RNG chooses DD or Sp for one of the remaining weeks. Perhaps it could be better to know all combos in advance, it would allow planning which combos are best for fastest win and for most points win like we do during release tournaments.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 14:03

Sandman25 wrote:Side note. I am not sure giving extra points for the fastest win in division is a good idea when we don't know in advance which combos will be played next weeks. I mean I tried to speedrun MfFi (some players tried the same with NaEn as far as I know) hoping it will give me 3 points but it could be a mistake if RNG chooses DD or Sp for one of the remaining weeks. Perhaps it could be better to know all combos in advance, it would allow planning which combos are best for fastest win and for most points win like we do during release tournaments.

I don't think this would be a good idea. This would introduce more problems than it solves (if any). Besides the next Nemelex Combo is only released after a player has won the current one in the official tournament.

Bart wrote:Wk 6 was bland. Entering ziggurat is almost the same as getting 3 runes. On the other hand, sane webtilers wouldn't touch 2 tier :P

Haha, you missed the best part when he stormed the orb chamber in Zot:5 and snagged the orb while beeing surrounded by 9 orb guardians and 5 orbs of fire :D

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 16:30

1. I managed one tier 1 challenge; other than that, I didn't progress far enough in any of my games for the challenges to be a factor. I've never won a game; managing that is my priority, so I would probably have ignored things like Ziggurats even if I'd got that far.

2. I enjoy looking at the standings, and it's a consolation to me that I top-scored in my division for GhHu, but I just try and play each combo as far as I can manage.

I'm not keen on the idea that only wins get points; part of the incentive for poor players like me is that we can still participate despite lacking winning skills.

I'm enjoying being involved and would like to thank WalkerBoh for proposing and organising.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 17:13

1. I do an evaluation to see if I can get the bonuses, and try to get them if it seems doable (given my proficiency). Even if they involve doing what I'd normally consider to be significantly suboptimal, I'll try them. I enjoy the challenges as a way to try something different.
So far:
Week 1: Collected icy rune and killed Antaeus to keep with the original spirit of the challenge.
Week 2: Had every intention of doing the Tier 2 challenge, but (ironically) died in my second unplanned trip to the Abyss before I was ready to collect a rune.
Week 3: Had every intention of doing Tier 1, seeing how feasible Tier 2 seemed.
Week 4: Did not make a significant effort to complete either tier.
Week 5: Aimed for Tier 2. In my unofficial replay of this one I managed to get it, minus some forgetfulness in Vault 5 on the way to the rune.
Week 6: Completed Tier 1. Died testing Tier 2 due to lack of knowledge of Zig mechanics.
Week 7: Had every intention of completing Tier 1, probably wouldn't have gone for Tier 2.

I'm primarily competing against myself, but I'm paying some attention to my standing within my own division. I took one look at my pandivision standing, went "not too bad," and moved on.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 18:16

I'd like the challenge more if it was z:7 for tier I and z:14 for tier II.

For MfFi this had been much more reasonable. Tier II is supposed to be tough but not overly suicidal.
But hey, the challenge has been a blast. Not only for having fun but actually having a competition against some of the best players in the world and not constantly thinking about if I can win two games in one day is doing it for me. Thanks WalkerBoh.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 14th March 2014, 23:18

I tend to play the new SDCs as soon as they are announced. I don't care if someone waits to see what score they need to beat. They still need to beat it and in sudden death that is not guaranteed. A better reason for waiting is to practice, but that seems like a good strategy for those with the patience (and time).

I'm fine with the systems the way it is. If something is to change to make it more fair to all, then one option would be to just give points for 3 rune victory and bonus achievements and don't give extra points for the in-game score (unless that happens to be a bonus one week). In a 10 game tournament with divisions, there is some chance of ties within a division, but who cares? Let there be a tie breaker.

I would imagine there could be even more involvement if people didn't think they needed 15 runes in 50k turns to compete.

Regarding bonus challenges, I usually have it in mind from the start to do the challenge, but something tends to get in the way in-game to steer me away. Such as XL4 death, or playing it safe. I suppose I place more value on winning than on a bonus with no win.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 17:34

MrPlanck wrote:I'm fine with the systems the way it is. If something is to change to make it more fair to all, then one option would be to just give points for 3 rune victory and bonus achievements and don't give extra points for the in-game score (unless that happens to be a bonus one week).

What I like about always using score as a metric is it makes you care about turncount.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 17:59

some12fat2move wrote:
MrPlanck wrote:I'm fine with the systems the way it is. If something is to change to make it more fair to all, then one option would be to just give points for 3 rune victory and bonus achievements and don't give extra points for the in-game score (unless that happens to be a bonus one week).

What I like about always using score as a metric is it makes you care about turncount.

So I guess caring about turncount is a good thing in your eyes, but why?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 18:31

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges - Week 8 Has Begun

What I don't like about turn count:
1) autoexplore becomes bad
2) using Apportation to pickup stuff is boring and annoying
3) playing safe is not optimal (resting to full HP/MP is bad, exploring the least dangerous levels like Orcish Mines 1-3 before entering Lair 8 is bad)
4) stashing is bad
5) Autotravel is bad (unless you explore all stairs)
6) replenishing MP by natural way is bad sometimes (it's optimal from turncount point of view to use Sublimation of Blood, even on own body if you have low MP and high HP).
Basically I don't like to press extra keys but turncount really encourages doing it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 19:04

Thought I was able to redo my DEVM; ran him through last night and did significantly better than the first try. Was under the impression I never made it to level 4 the first time around.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 19:33

XuaXua wrote:Thought I was able to redo my DEVM; ran him through last night and did significantly better than the first try. Was under the impression I never made it to level 4 the first time around.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/XuaXua/morg ... 042502.txt

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 19:43

Magipi wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Thought I was able to redo my DEVM; ran him through last night and did significantly better than the first try. Was under the impression I never made it to level 4 the first time around.

That's my first try; second try died by cold last night on https://crawl.s-z.org/#play-dcss-git
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 20:10

What I like about turn count:
1) Without it, your odds of winning would be improved by consumable juggling (dropping them when you have more than 2 or 3 and running back to them when you have less).
2) Certain things are pretty much always optimal even when turncount is considered (fully resting, fully exploring levels, backtracking to grab stuff), but having to consider the turn cost makes them an interesting decision sometimes.
3) Fairness in scoring. Winning in 50k turns is much bigger accomplishment than winning in 100k turns, so it should get you more points.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 21:43

XuaXua wrote:
Magipi wrote:

That's my first try; second try died by cold last night on https://crawl.s-z.org/#play-dcss-git

Fixed. Feel free to send me a PM if something is wrong on the scoring sheet. :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 18th March 2014, 07:49

Question for WalkerBoh:

It's pretty clear now that CSDC and the 0.14 tournament will clash. How do you intend to deal with this? Pause CSDC and continue after the tournament in 0.15a? Allow games from 0.14 stable?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 18th March 2014, 08:11

Tedronai wrote:Question for WalkerBoh:

It's pretty clear now that CSDC and the 0.14 tournament will clash. How do you intend to deal with this? Pause CSDC and continue after the tournament in 0.15a? Allow games from 0.14 stable?

The challenges and the tournament will only clash is the latter starts within 4 weeks. Is it "pretty clear"? Is it even likely? Is it even possible?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 18th March 2014, 08:36

Magipi wrote:The challenges and the tournament will only clash is the latter starts within 4 weeks. Is it "pretty clear"? Is it even likely? Is it even possible?

Some dev said yesterday in #crawl that it is planned for 0.14 to branch in the next few days.

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
Magipi

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 18th March 2014, 13:58

I think it should be pretty close. I'll have to play it by ear, but I would prefer not to pause the competition. If anything I would extend the time allowed to complete the challenges. But usually there is a 2-3 week gap between branching 0.14 and starting the tournament.

And yes, after 0.14 is branched we'll use 0.15a trunk. Why stop now? :wink:

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Tedronai

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 16:33

I see no reason why the two tournaments could not exist side-by-side.

CSDC is only *one* game per week. Could you choose to, or choose not to leverage your csdc game against the .14 tournament, but either way, I am not sure how it would be intrusive, or interfere, especially with the liberal window of two weeks for the challenge.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 18:17

I'm in.
Xom's X-Factors for me.
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 22nd March 2014, 00:04

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges - Week 9 Has Begun

Week 9 has begun! The RNG was quite kind this week and gave us... TrAM.

Unfortunately, I was not so kind and gave a particularly nasty bonus challenge. :twisted:

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 26th March 2014, 01:25

WalkerBoh, quick question about scoring. I have 4 wins of 6+ runes but the "score breakdown" section of the spreadsheet shows 0. Is this correct?
Thank you.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 26th March 2014, 01:55

Ugh no, that's just Google Docs having trouble updating properly with the custom function I'm using to score those. I'll work on it, but don't worry, the scores are all reported correctly so your wins aren't lost. :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 26th March 2014, 02:06

WalkerBoh wrote:Ugh no, that's just Google Docs having trouble updating properly with the custom function I'm using to score those. I'll work on it, but don't worry, the scores are all reported correctly so your wins aren't lost. :)

Got it, thanks!

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 26th March 2014, 02:09

For some reason it was only messing up that one cell too. Every other person and even all of the other colors for you were working properly. I just reset the script and that worked, but no clue why it does that...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:06

I'm officially dropping out of this contest. Sorry to go, especially as I seemed to be overall ranking well, but with my schedule it was tough to make time for it to begin with and now pretty much impossible. Big thanks to walkerboh and sandman, you guys made this fun for me while it lasted :)

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:20

No worries, thanks for playing along for so long. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:39

Thank you too, some12fat2move!
You made me do what I never tried, I appreciate it. Too bad you cannot finish your DEVM game, I am sure I would be behind you again :)

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 1st April 2014, 08:47

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges - Week 10 Has Begun

Thank you WalkerBoh for setting all this up, the challenges were a very fun way to keep in shape for the tournament (and just in time, too :p ).

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 15:26

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges - Week 10 Has Begun

Should remaining combos be played in trunk or the new 0.14?
PreviousNext

Return to The Dart Board