Post Wednesday, 10th July 2019, 15:54

Completing internationalization

Partly inspired by this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26374, I've been looking at the status of internationalization in Crawl.
I'm aware there was an "official" translation project, which was abandoned 5 years ago or so.
Seems like out of that project, some bits have been internationalized (and translated), but it's mostly the "flavour" text like literary quotes and detailed item descriptions, not the stuff you would primarily be reading like the the menus and turn-by-turn messages, etc.

It's challenging because a lot of that text is dynamically generated and the logic is specific to English.
I found this previous attempt at internationalizing that stuff: https://github.com/ChrisOelmueller/crawl-ref
It's based on pretty old code, and looking at it, I think what they were doing would probably work for say French, but it wouldn't work for languages like German that have a strong case system.

Anyway, I have an idea of how to do it, and I'm keen to attempt this.

Just not sure if there's really that much of an audience for playing Crawl in other languages because no one seems to really be requesting it apart from that one person in the thread I linked.

Thoughts?