VM images?

Questions, Explanations, Howtos

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 7th June 2018, 10:52

VM images?

DCSS seems to be relatively hard to compile, especially if you want to cross-compile.

Maybe it would be worth making some Virtualbox images set up for building.

You can't run OS X on Virtualbox, Windows could have licensing issues if you're distributing VM images, and Linux is the easiest to build DCSS on normally. However, you could distribute a Linux VM image set up for cross-compilation to Windows, which Windows users could run in Virtualbox.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 7th June 2018, 11:38

Re: VM images?

The instructions in INSTALL.txt are pretty easy to follow if you install Ubuntu in a VM. But sure, it would be great to have a one command Dockerfile that could build a Windows image

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 7th June 2018, 13:52

chequers wrote:The instructions in INSTALL.txt are pretty easy to follow if you install Ubuntu in a VM.

Or, you could download an image with Linux pre-installed from https://virtualboxes.org/images/ .

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 11th June 2018, 18:05

Yep, I actually just set up a new VM this morning and had crawl ready to go in less than 30 minutes. You don't really need a specific image.

1. Download your preferred VM software: VMWare or VirtualBox
2. Download a virtual disk with a pre-installed copy of your preferred distro: https://www.osboxes.org/centos/
3. Create a new VM and use the existing disk
4. Boot into the VM and set up your user
5. Install development tools and git
6. Download the source code and follow the INSTALL.TXT

My distribution was missing some dependencies so I had to use a third-party repository, but I found the build process to be really simple compared to some other projects I've worked on.

Return to Coding