Vault Making Questions

Questions, Explanations, Howtos

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 14:05

Vault Making Questions

I'm new to vault making (just discovered it yesterday) and I have a couple of minor questions.

1) If I have a monster with an over rided name (i.e. Durwent for a kobold), if I then added a description for Durwent at the end of monsters.txt, would that be its description.

2) When I give a monster a spell that already has an ability (i.e. give a dragon throw flame), am I overriding its ability too? Is there a way to override an ability with a different one?
2.5) Is it possible to change the description on what happens when a monster activates an ability/spell (like have it say when an iron dragon breathes iron shards: "the iron dragon emits a crystal explosion")?

3) Is it possible to KITEMS an unrand artifact by saying a "black crossbow" , "golden longsword", etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 17:03

Re: Vault Making Questions

Thanks. And as for the first question I answered it myself by testing.
One more question/how to:

I am trying to make a vault that encompasses a map, with weight of 500 and place of D:2 so it will always come up. Now if I use Shift-L in wizard mode it will spawn and work, but when I try to go down a staircase on D:1 it freezes and crashes. I thought it might by that I didn't place enough staircases, but when I put 3 sets in it still crashed. I couldn't find any bugs in my code, so maybe there is a specific size the map has to be, or another problem?

(also when I try to reopen the character it freezes and crashes.)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 22:31

Don't you have a crash report?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 22:44

Uh, no I don't think I do. That would be really helpful. I probably don't have a crash report because I am not doing it the orthodox way. I am creating these vaults by going into my dungeon crawl stone soup app and using "Show Package Contents" (on a mac), and going into the Resources then Dat files from there and editing the des files with text files. It was the easiest way for me to create these, because I thought I had to use xcode otherwise to do it, and when I try to compile crawl in xcode I get these errors that I tried fixing but gave up and just did it this way. Is there another way (other than xcode)?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 07:54

crash report are normally generated in the morgue directory. You should have one even if you haven't compiled crawl and using binaries, but I don't know much about the mac port.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 08:15

If it first freezes and then crashes, it's probably unable to generate a level. Are you sure your vault has ORIENT: encompass?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 16:00

Thanks, figured it out. I had all down staircases. What noob mistake :D .

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th August 2011, 02:27

galehar wrote:crash report are normally generated in the morgue directory. You should have one even if you haven't compiled crawl and using binaries, but I don't know much about the mac port.

I've never been able to get this to work in windows, at least in the past (maybe it changed for 0.9). No logs or anything when it crashes. Debug mode is more useful, but you have to compile it yourself for that.

Return to Coding