Compiling Endfolder Issues

Questions, Explanations, Howtos

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 01:36

Compiling Endfolder Issues

So I've recently done some small modding of Crawl. I've done fine, though there was some stickiness when I kept typing "build" instead of "make", heh.

But my main problem is that the compiler sends all the compiled files and folders to the source folder. This, combined with the many "[sourcefile].o" files created, makes it hard to find everything needed for the finished product.

How do you guys deal with this problem?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 13:07

Re: Compiling Endfolder Issues

Filters, IDEs.

Some file browsers can be set to filter the view (the one I use, SpaceFM, certainly does). IDEs also frequently ignore non-source files.

You can get away without an IDE if you must. But a decent IDE will make your life easier in multiple ways.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st July 2016, 12:48

Re: Compiling Endfolder Issues

jwoodward48ss wrote:So I've recently done some small modding of Crawl. I've done fine, though there was some stickiness when I kept typing "build" instead of "make", heh.

But my main problem is that the compiler sends all the compiled files and folders to the source folder. This, combined with the many "[sourcefile].o" files created, makes it hard to find everything needed for the finished product.

How do you guys deal with this problem?

You can do something like:
  Code:
mkdir output
make  DESTDIR=output [i]options[/i] install

That will make a folder called "output", and package up the crawl executable, data files, etc. there. The options should be the same options and/or targets you gave to "make" when you built Crawl in the first place. For example, if you did "make tiles" to compile crawl, here you'd do "make DESTDIR=output tiles install"

If you're building on Windows, you can build zips for both console and tiles, similar to the ones distributed on the website, by doing:
  Code:
make package-windows-zips

That does the whole process of building crawl, installing it to a directory, and zipping up the directory; for both console and tiles versions of Crawl.

If you want to make an installer instead, you need to have NSIS installed in your build environment, then do
  Code:
make package-windows

Return to Coding