Gitorious shutting down at the end of May

Questions, Explanations, Howtos

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 3rd March 2015, 17:43

Gitorious shutting down at the end of May

There is a notice on Gitorious saying that it has been acquired by GitLab and that it is shutting down at the end of May. See https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/git ... gitorious/

I only have a small voice in this, but I would like to propose a move to Github. My reasoning is as follows:

Pros:

* Most developers (or potential developers) already have github accounts. This makes adding/removing developers much easier than the current state.
* Pull requests are a great way for potential developers to add their contributions to the project. Many younger developers are not familiar with patches, github makes pull requests a breeze.
* Pull requests are easier for core developers to review and merge into the project.
* Better UI, I have problems searching branches and looking at diffs on gitorious. Github makes branch comparison easy.
* More exposure, any time anyone stars or forks the project, it is linked from their profile.
* The original reasons for not using github as I understand it was because of the size of the github repo. Github now allows 1GB repositories so I dont believe this is an issue.
* We already have a github repo which we use for travis builds.

Cons:
* This initial move will likely be a pain. Lots of URLs to update, some developers wont have github accounts (?)
* For a time, bugs will be tracked both in github and mantis. - |amethyst points out we can disable the github tracker and continue to use mantis.
* Some developers may not like the github workflow (github is quite opinionated)

Ill add/remove as discussion moves forward. For me, the pull request interface would be the biggest win, and I think we would see more contributions as the barrier to entry is much lower.

For this message the author guyht has received thanks: 4
Peileppe, rockygargoyle, tasonir, Wahaha

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th March 2015, 22:40

Re: Gitorious shutting down at the end of May

This should probably be in the coding subforum, but in either case, it's a good suggestion. I'm a terrible coder and probably will not end up contributing much, but even I have a github account.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 16th May 2015, 14:03

I agree with the proposal to move to Github. It's approaching the end of May, and time's running out before Gitorious shuts down. I'm curious what the plans are for a new location of the DCSS code base.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 16th May 2015, 14:12

Ah, it looks like the code base has indeed been moved to Github. I just pulled in the latest changes from the Gitorius repository, and I found that the following text had been added to the readme.md file a few days ago.

NOTE: The most up-to-date source code for Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is now at https://github.com/crawl/crawl/\

Very nice. I'll change git to start pulling from that repository.

Return to Coding