Anyone able to help with ascii Android build?

Questions, Explanations, Howtos

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 22:27

Anyone able to help with ascii Android build?

I've been trying to contact the guy who ported DCSS ascii to Android, but have not been getting any response recently. I'm hoping someone out there with Xubuntu or Mac OS X can update the port in his absence. Sadly I'm Windows only, otherwise I'd give it a shot. He's got ample instructions for it here: http://code.google.com/p/dungeon-crawl-android/

Anyone out there able to help? Be happy to donate what I can too, if some extra motivation is needed :D

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 18th November 2014, 00:17

Re: Anyone able to help with ascii Android build?

I've also been interested in this, but didn't know there was a link on how to do it. Slowly going through the process myself, although I don't really know what I'm doing so it will probably take a while. Working on a 0.15.2 build right now.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 18th November 2014, 01:06

That would be awesome, please let me know if you need help testing anything.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 18th November 2014, 01:17

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67ue5g99m6yzl ... p.apk?dl=0

I have compiled 0.15.2 and got it working. You'll have to do all the unofficial app download stuff, and uninstall the playstore version. I did notice that I lost all my high scores when I did this (luckily I'd never quite won, just gotten close).

For this message the author triorph has received thanks:
Noisewar

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 18th November 2014, 04:33

Works!!! You rule

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 18th November 2014, 05:15

Awesome, so fast! You sir are a god among men :D

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 20th November 2014, 08:01

Thanks! One question/request, before I even install this. Does this version store it's files (morgues etc.) on the SD card of phone memory? The previous version stores them to phone memory which makes them inaccessible without rooting your device. I can't root my work phone.... So it would be great to have an option to manually set the files directory or if the app would use the SD card by default.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 20th November 2014, 09:18

As is, I just merged the latest DCSS 0.15.2 branch into the android code and spent time getting the compiler settings working. I didn't modify any of the actual code, so I doubt any of that is different. I can possibly look into it, but I'm not familiar with any of that code so it will take a while.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 12:56

Oh crap... Going to the options->preferences menu, there is a "character files/morgue files" menu where you can browse morgues. It also has the option to copy the text, which I assume you could later paste in to a separate text file and save it on SD card. Of course I discovered this after I had updated the game loosing my 0.14 char dumps...

From there you can also edit the .ini file etc. so my previous post is not that relevant anymore.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 19:40

I have been playing some CeWr on this version and noticed a few bugs. Fedas evolution is broken. All plants and toadstools turn in to monsters called Coding Bug, represented by B. They are immobile and take one hit. Not very usefull, compared to oklobs.

Other issue is with monsters following you up stairs. The do follow you, but they end up somewhere else on the level. This is very bad exploit and happens also unintentionally. Winning with this bug in place makes it kind of void...

If anyone is willing to look in to these, you would really be considered hod among crawlers!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 20:56

That's weird, I haven't tried Fedhas at all, but things have definitely followed me up and down staircases appropriately, is it sporadic for you or every time?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 07:39

Every time. I have tried stair dancing and never managed to pull anyone next to me. I just bump in to them elsewhere on the level if I go exploring.

Edit: The version I got is 0.15.2-955-g3d6fa58

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 13th December 2014, 05:28

MrRokkomies wrote:I have been playing some CeWr on this version and noticed a few bugs. Fedas evolution is broken. All plants and toadstools turn in to monsters called Coding Bug, represented by B. They are immobile and take one hit. Not very usefull, compared to oklobs.

Other issue is with monsters following you up stairs. The do follow you, but they end up somewhere else on the level. This is very bad exploit and happens also unintentionally. Winning with this bug in place makes it kind of void...

If anyone is willing to look in to these, you would really be considered hod among crawlers!

Ah I was wondering about that, was playing melee an it was actually super annoying that i couldn't pull any enemies up the stairs with me. Worse, in the Orc levels they got pulled into the walls and hurt my XP since they were no longer killable.

Return to Coding