Post Friday, 22nd November 2013, 13:51

Community Development/Centralized Advice

The last long thread I could find concerning the wiki dates to 2012. Not much has changed since then; the wiki's still maintained by a skeleton crew who can't really keep up with the pace of development (no offense to them; I assume they're working hard, and I've just signed up to help). Most of the goodplayers recommend learndb, and while it's definitely useful, it's succinctness makes it awfully difficult to digest some material, even when it's not outright cryptic. Otherwise, to learn more about Crawl, you come to the forums, to IRC, or tileschat to engage in old-fashioned oral tradition.

This bums me out, and I'm posting to contributions because I think it's important to the game itself. We have an active playerbase that, while a little contentious at times, is usually more than willing to help new players. But we make that harder for ourselves by balkanizing our information sources. Would there be much interest in formulating a plan for an improvement drive? Is there any way to unite the warring factions of the community in order to make a concerted push at the wiki to make it great? And, maybe more importantly, does anyone besides me much care about this issue?

My apologies if this is in the wrong place or it comes across as useless.