alternate vaults

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 14:35

alternate vaults

I have three variants of a vault that appear from dungeon depth 3-9.
I want only one of the variants to apear per game (if any appears at all).
The vaults are quite different and complex so shuffle and substitute are no options.

What can I do?
Would it be enough to add a WEIGHT header declaration that sums 10 between my vaults?
Would that ensure that no more than one of my vaults appear per game?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 15:29

Re: alternate vaults

Marbit wrote:I have three variants of a vault that appear from dungeon depth 3-9.
I want only one of the variants to apear per game (if any appears at all).
The vaults are quite different and complex so shuffle and substitute are no options.

What can I do?
Would it be enough to add a WEIGHT header declaration that sums 10 between my vaults?
Would that ensure that no more than one of my vaults appear per game?

* "uniq_BAR": (uniq_ with any suffix) specifies that only one of
the vaults with this tag can be used in a game.

so include uniq_marbitsvaults or whatever in your TAGS: directive in each of the three vaults.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
Marbit

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 15:43

nicolae is correct.

Would you please try and find the answer to your question on your own next time? Asking for help if you need it is perfectly fine, but I was able to find the answer with 5 seconds of googling. This document is a good start, nicolae quotes it in his reply: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:help:maps.
There's also looking at the .txt documents in the source code on making vaults.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 16:54

reaver wrote:nicolae is correct.

Would you please try and find the answer to your question on your own next time? Asking for help if you need it is perfectly fine, but I was able to find the answer with 5 seconds of googling. This document is a good start, nicolae quotes it in his reply: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:help:maps.
There's also looking at the .txt documents in the source code on making vaults.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on this. It takes google a while to realize you don't want to go to the page for the dungeon branch "vaults" on the gameplay wiki when looking for the answers to scripting questions. I spent a while trying to build things before I learned the code wiki even existed.

That said, he's got the link now and the wiki's search function works just fine.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 17:42

@Nicolae
Thanks man, I knew the document but I was misguided by the section that said:
You can also use WEIGHT to create modified versions of the same map.

@reaver
It is easy to find the answer once you know what it looks like. I asked because you are experienced and it desn't take you much effort to solve a problem that for me is still very difficult. I'm not trying to abuse your goodwill, I'll return the favour if I can. I'm investing several hours of my time to produce vaults that, hopefully, you will also enjoy.

I see my question as something analogous to ask for direction or for the time in the street. If the question takes you more than 2 minutes of your time don't answer it, I don't expect you to.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 18:36

Marbit, I wasn't trying to be offensive. I can't tell how much you actually searched, and you know how many bad posters we get on the Tavern, particularly on Game Design Discussion.
Marbit wrote:Thanks man, I knew the document but I was misguided by the section that said:
You can also use WEIGHT to create modified versions of the same map.
I just edited the wiki to clarify this. It now reads:
wiki wrote:You can also use WEIGHT to create modified versions of the same map. In order to do this, make several maps and endow each with a chance such that the sum of chances add up to 10. If it wouldn't be flavorful for multiple version of your map to appear, use the uniq_BAR tag.

If you run into more instructions so confusing you have to ask for help, feel free to edit them. I'm sure other people have made the same mistake.

EDIT: I didn't mean bad as in BAD POST THANKER trolling, (which was dealt with extremely efficiently by the moderators) but bad as in "naively didn't quite think this through."
Last edited by reaver on Saturday, 8th June 2013, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 18:41

reaver wrote:you know how many bad posters we get

reaver

We have people whose job it is to moderate. Please alert them if their attention is needed.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
reaver

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 19:03

reaver wrote:Marbit, I wasn't trying to be offensive.

No problem, man.
I can also get tired if I hear many simple (or silly) questions.

Return to Contributions