So surprised this vault hasn't been done yet

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 15:52

So surprised this vault hasn't been done yet

My first vault, so please let me know what you think.

I made this while at work, so I haven't gotten to test it yet, and I made it pretty quickly so I may add some randomization, but it is pretty simple.
Attachments
BFG_trapped.txt
(734 Bytes) Downloaded 94 times
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 17:03

Re: So surprised this vault hasn't been done yet

It may also be a good idea to have a set number of cyclops/hill giants in the vault, I've tried it out three times, one of those times I was greeted by 7 cyclops who all flung a boulder all at once. I don't think I've had many characters who could deal with that on floor 14.

It'd also be nice to be able to see the bfg and appreciate what this vault's all about before inevitably running out of the vault to kite all the giants into a hallway.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 19:50

I think the main reason this vault hasn't been done yet is that guaranteed allies are frowned on in vault design. The option is there, yeah, but not a single existing vault actually defines a pre-made ally with att:friendly.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 19:57

Vaults should never ever use att:friendly, as mentioned by nicolae. Besides causing unpreventable piety loss with Okawaru or Elyvilion, if the player manages to get the monster out they have a very powerful ally. Even if you think the monster would be too weak to be relevant, remember polymorph. There's a reason permanent allies are only given by Gods and the Mercenary card. Use att:neutral instead, like the halflings in the hungry kobold vault.

What's with all the plants lying around? The snozzcumbers should be enough for anyone the get the reference, and plants in D look a bit weird.

You should the NSUBST command to further randomize the positions of the monsters. Hard coding them like this is weird.

I think having a space of just two floors where the monsters are different is odd. Remember the runed door let's you have a bit more variance in difficulty- and the player can always teleport away.

Have you tried compiling the game so you can add the vault? Generally, not doing so is considered impolite, particular if it fails to compile and the dev who is committing them has to fix it. You can get instructions here: http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/blobs/master/crawl-ref/INSTALL.txt. Then, you can use wiz-mode to test the vault.

Anyway I'm also surprised nobody has made this vault before. It's a cute reference and it's nice to see the snozzcumber's origins acknowledged in game.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 20:39

Hm, I could think of some uses of att:friendly. First, a Sprint map where you start with a posse and get a new chap from time to time.
Second, a portal vault where the (or one of the) prize(s) is an ally. But yeah, generally shy away from this attribute.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 20:58

It may also be a good idea to have a set number of cyclops/hill giants in the vault, I've tried it out three times, one of those times I was greeted by 7 cyclops who all flung a boulder all at once. I don't think I've had many characters who could deal with that on floor 14.

Oh good point, I should change the weighting.

It'd also be nice to be able to see the bfg and appreciate what this vault's all about before inevitably running out of the vault to kite all the giants into a hallway.

I kinda liked the idea of going back in and having an "aha!" moment.

Vaults should never ever use att:friendly

But he has to be a friendly giant :p I'd rather go the sadder route and just have him unable to get out.

What's with all the plants lying around? The snozzcumbers should be enough for anyone the get the reference, and plants in D look a bit weird.

Hmm good point. They were there primarily because I thought the vault looked a little empty otherwise.

You should the NSUBST command to further randomize the positions of the monsters. Hard coding them like this is weird.

I was going to look into that tonight, this was just a 5min work break.

I think having a space of just two floors where the monsters are different is odd. Remember the runed door let's you have a bit more variance in difficulty- and the player can always teleport away.

Good point, and I might just nix the cyclopes and have one Hill/Ettin setup and one Stone/Fire setup.

Have you tried compiling the game so you can add the vault? Generally, not doing so is considered impolite, particular if it fails to compile and the dev who is committing them has to fix it. You can get instructions here: http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/blobs/ ... NSTALL.txt. Then, you can use wiz-mode to test the vault.

Mhmm, sorry for not doing that before submitting, will get on that.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 21:27

TeshiAlair wrote:

Oh good point, I should change the weighting.

Use NSUBST. It well let you decide the exact number of cyclops in the vault. You can also use it to place the giants a little more randomly.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 22:53

You don't have to compile crawl to test vaults. Just add it to any of the existing vault files (be careful about existing depth tags and the like). Maybe even dumping it as a new file into one of the proper directories works, but I'm not sure about that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 23:01

Galefury wrote:You don't have to compile crawl to test vaults. Just add it to any of the existing vault files (be careful about existing depth tags and the like). Maybe even dumping it as a new file into one of the proper directories works, but I'm not sure about that.

I've never managed to get a new .des file to work properly, though I only tried it once or twice and gave up instead of trying to figure it out.

dpeg wrote:Hm, I could think of some uses of att:friendly. First, a Sprint map where you start with a posse and get a new chap from time to time.
Second, a portal vault where the (or one of the) prize(s) is an ally. But yeah, generally shy away from this attribute.

Well, there are certainly a number of vault-definition features that have never been used (and I've discovered occasionally, a few that shouldn't be used). Though I do like the idea for the portal vault... now I'm having all sorts of ideas.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 23:04

dpeg wrote:Hm, I could think of some uses of att:friendly. First, a Sprint map where you start with a posse and get a new chap from time to time.

Both of these sound awesome. I wonder how we could flavour a portal so the reward is a ally? Maybe a prison? We should probably add these ideas to the dev wiki.
KoboldLord wrote:
danr wrote:Good grief, even in Wizard mode I can't get in!

What's the point of any of them being mimics if there's no way to get to them anyway?

In an older version of the vault, they weren't mimics. Players kept getting in, even though that was intended to be impossible. At least a couple card tricks worked, for instance. The mimic thing was a last-ditch effort to keep the players out, and as far as I know it has mostly worked.

Quoted from "How to break in to Xom vault?": https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5770
That Xom vault (It's the one surrounded by acquirement level loot and undiggable crystal walls) had every protection vaults can provide. Unfortunately, TeshiAlair, att:friendly just won't work, unless you turn this into BFG Sprint or The Giants' Island portal vault. Even if you submit it with the att:friendly in it, the dev committing it will just replace it with att:neutral. I'm sure people will pick up on the flavor- the other parts of the vault fit perfectly.
Galefury wrote:You don't have to compile crawl to test vaults. Just add it to any of the existing vault files (be careful about existing depth tags and the like). Maybe even dumping it as a new file into one of the proper directories works, but I'm not sure about that.
Really? Are you sure the Lua would work-that has to be interpreted at one point. Where are the vault files anyway? When I compile crawl I get a single executable.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th June 2013, 23:06

nicolae wrote:

I've never managed to get a new .des file to work properly, though I only tried it once or twice and gave up instead of trying to figure it out.

To get new .des file to work, you need to put the file's address into loadmaps.lua. It can be found in /dat/dlua

The file seems to think it auto-generates itself, so maybe that isn't how you're meant to do it. It works fine though.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 16:41

Ought to be a Book of Dreams in there.

Return to Contributions