Mummy memories.

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 02:09

Mummy memories.

Mummies are immortal lich kings with lifespans measured in eons who come to exploit the Orb of Zot for their own purposes. Memories and skills may be lost to the sands of time, but they still live on somewhere. Now, they can be regained.
In less poetic terms, you get a bonus to a random skill every four levels, weighted to ones you already are using.
Here's the link: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=6710
The idea came from here by the way. https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:species:mummy&#ancient_memories Full credit to that Pedjt guy.
Anyway, what do you think?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 13:42

Re: Mummy memories.

What about:

Instead of memories manifesting by adding XP to random skills, you instead got better aptitudes for those skills.

This could either be a small permanent increase in aptitude, which would work in a similar way to draconians getting altered aptitudes on reaching level 7: Existing skill level would be adjusted to take account of the new aptitude.

Alternatively, they could get a larger but temporary bonus which would work similarly to using a manual - the bonus disappears after gaining a certain amount of XP in the skill.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th March 2013, 00:43

minmay wrote:christ why did i use the word 'caster' on that wiki page

I'd consider making it every 3 levels instead of 4, just because 27. Also, depending on the character and how strong the weighting towards useful skills is, this could actually end up being a disadvantage, since getting more experience makes skills more expensive; getting a bonus to Traps, a weapon skill other than the one you use, etc. would effectively mean you just lose some experience.

It's weighted for skills you use the same way the sage card is. The closest I've ever gotten to a skill I don't use is a buff for dodging on my necromancer.
I suppose 3 would be more thematic.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th March 2013, 00:44

Jeremiah wrote:What about:

Instead of memories manifesting by adding XP to random skills, you instead got better aptitudes for those skills.

This could either be a small permanent increase in aptitude, which would work in a similar way to draconians getting altered aptitudes on reaching level 7: Existing skill level would be adjusted to take account of the new aptitude.

Alternatively, they could get a larger but temporary bonus which would work similarly to using a manual - the bonus disappears after gaining a certain amount of XP in the skill.

Two problems with that:
First, I don't think becoming better at learning something fits with the theme of remembering old skills.
Second, I don't know how to do that.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th March 2013, 01:00

minmay wrote:christ why did i use the word 'caster' on that wiki page

I'd consider making it every 3 levels instead of 4, just because 27. Also, depending on the character and how strong the weighting towards useful skills is, this could actually end up being a disadvantage, since getting more experience makes skills more expensive; getting a bonus to Traps, a weapon skill other than the one you use, etc. would effectively mean you just lose some experience.

Done. It's every three levels now. Also, more messages.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 15:53

Excellent idea. =)

You have small mistypings at the Level 15 And 21 Messages.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 11th March 2013, 10:22

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Excellent idea. =)

You have small mistypings at the Level 15 And 21 Messages.

Solved!

Return to Contributions