detritus

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 03:23

detritus

Greetings;

i am very new to Crawl, so i feel a little out of place making any suggesitons what-so-ever, but;

i did have a couple/three ideas of flavor. (feel free to blow raspberries)

1) insuficient detritus. In spite of the slimes roaming the passages, it seems there should be the odd rat skull, broken/empty bottle, oger femur.... laying around. items of very little to no use at all. I feel the game would have a more real feel if every thing that turned up was not, (( part of the game)) really wish i could convey this last sentance more clearly.

2) Scolls of uselessness, acutally saying things of uslessness. i am thinking banal platitudes.

3) a potion of ketchup, grants gourm for a bit.

courious as to what the responce will be.

enjoy

stillcen

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th January 2013, 07:12

Re: detritus

stillcen wrote:3) a potion of ketchup, grants gourm for a bit.

Quite literally a flavour idea :) Personally I prefer hot sauce.

In all seriousness I don't think this would really add anything - the food game is the least interesting part of Crawl and I don't think it can be solved with more consumables to juggle.

I do like your suggestion #2, this could add some additional humour to an otherwise pointless item (I'm not really sure why those scrolls are still even in the game!)

The problem with #1 is that it adds more spam in the console, the Ctrl-X screen, and potentially in Ctrl-F (for no gameplay benefit). Also the visual display becomes cluttered which makes it harder to notice important things. Having said that, there would be no harm adding more of this sort of thing purely as decoration in tiles, so long as the detritus is small and blends into the floor tile fairly well; you don't want these details actually looking like something that could be picked up.

Relevant to this is Denzi's experimental tile set from ages ago: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=3870

Also relevant is a recent post by Nicolae (but this was a joke presumably!): https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6697&p=89744&hilit=hat#p89744

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 16th September 2019, 16:31

Re: detritus

I think #2 would be easy. I could certainly go through and significantly beef up the variety of useless things that happen.

* you could be told something about your character you already know
* you could be hear some banal platitudes
* I could significantly beef up the variety of things you can hear/smell

Since it is just a flavour item, it would be fun to increase the variety of flavours you can get from it.

Alternatively, if you really want to remove the scroll, I'll just drop the subject.

Just offering!

Return to Contributions