Public server bones file sharing

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 19th December 2012, 12:25

Public server bones file sharing

Hi!

I was looking for bones files to spice up my offline games, and had a pretty hard time finding them.
There is one initiative, Geistwagen:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5666
The problem with it is the reliance on it's own repo, there are very few ghosts available since it doesn't
seem to be very widespread.

The idea would be to use the bones files from the public servers. Posting here first since I don't want to start
spamming their admins with mails, don't know how many people would be interested in this. Implementation
only needs making the bones files visible through the webserver, just like the public morgues.
I'd be happy to write a small tool to manage the downloads(maybe split/merge, don't have a clue how do they handle
thousands of ghosts on the servers) if the files are available.

So please:
1. leave some feedback whether you would use such a thing or not
2. if you are admin on a public server tell me how much of a hassle would it be to make bones visible(how large are the files, do you rotate them etc.)

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 00:36

Re: Public server bones file sharing

Hey, I was thinking along similar lines. Whenever I find myself without internet access I wish I had some offline bones!

However, I really think this would best be implemented as an in-crawl option ([x] Bones sharing) rather than a third party tool. Since the number of local users is rather limited, I think that would give it the best chance of success. It's also sort of a pain to install and setup a tool for it (like hearse).

I'm also not a fan of simply leeching bone files from the main servers. Makes me feel like a 2nd class citizen. I'd rather it was a sharing mechanism like hearse, so your local bones also get seen by others. Then again, I'm not sure there are enough people around for that, so maybe bootstrapping with online bones is the solution.

I wrote some simple scripts for analyzing bones if you're interested.

This one gives version / signature info:
  Code:
% cat bones-info
#!/usr/bin/env zsh
#set -x

function header() {
    bones=$1
    hexdump -n 4 -e '2/1 "%d " /2 " %x\n" ' $bones
}

function field() {
    echo $1 | awk "{ print \$$2 }"
}

myheader=`header $1`
major=`field $myheader 1`
minor=`field $myheader 2`
signature=`field $myheader 3`

echo "$major.$minor.$signature"

This one downloads bones from geistwagen (only around 70 unique bones on there, though):
  Code:
#!/usr/bin/env zsh
integer i=1

while [ true ]; do
  while [[ -e $i ]]; do
    (( i += 1 ))
  done
  mkdir $i
  cd $i

echo "downloading to /$i"

curl -J -O https://geistwagen-hardsun.rhcloud.com/bones

cd ..
  sleep 1
done

Geistwagen felt pretty incomplete to me, because 1. it doesn't check version info of bones, and 2. allows anyone to arbitrarily delete remote bones. But it's a good start :-).

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 00:02

Re: Public server bones file sharing

well i am perfectly comfortable of leeching bone files.link please!

Return to Contributions