Attn Devs - Tiles Copied In Mobile Game

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 27th October 2012, 16:55

Attn Devs - Tiles Copied In Mobile Game

Hey all --

Longtime player, but I don't post here and haven't poked my head into IRC recently. Anyway, there's a game called Dungeon Ascendance on the Android market that appears to be using several of the tiles (I noticed Ogre and Hobgoblin, just in the tutorial) from DCSS. Thought I'd give a heads-up in case you want to try your luck at complaining to the developer or to Google.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... paid&hl=en

Cheers,
Adam

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th October 2012, 14:32

Re: Attn Devs - Tiles Copied In Mobile Game

It's fine. Crawl's tiles are GPL. I wrote them a letter a few months back and they said that they would be getting their own tiles eventually. They even give credit to DC:SS at the bottom of the page.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th October 2012, 18:25

As explained right on the home page, the tiles they are using are pulled from crawl-tiles which is a project created to assemble the crawl tiles which have been explicitely put in the public domain. Anyone can do whatever they want with them, including using them in commercial products.
Newer tiles are GPL unless their author specifically license them otherwise (which they didn't AFAIK). Those ones can only be used in another open source project with a compatible license.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th October 2012, 19:21

galehar wrote:Newer tiles are GPL unless their author specifically license them otherwise (which they didn't AFAIK). Those ones can only be used in another open source project with a compatible license.
I think most of the new tile authors have stated that their tiles are public domain, although it's not written down anywhere officially. Maybe someone should do that.

Return to Contributions