Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 19:22

mac install documentation

In install.txt, the mac install instructions mention installing the command line tools through Xcode. This is now outdated - xcode 6 doesn't have an option to download them, they are installed by default.

From: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... index.html
Downloading command-line tools is not available in Xcode for OS X 10.9. How can I install them on my machine?

In OS X 10.9, the Downloads pane of Xcode Preferences does not support downloading command-line tools. Use any of the following methods to install command-line tools on your system:

Using Xcode
If Xcode is installed on your machine, then there is no need to install them. Xcode comes bundled with all your command-line tools. OS X 10.9 includes shims or wrapper executables. These shims, installed in /usr/bin, can map any tool included in /usr/bin to the corresponding one inside Xcode. xcrun is one of such shims, which allows you to find or run any tool inside Xcode from the command line. Use it to invoke any tool within Xcode from the command line.

I'd probably remove the section, replaced with a simplier "get Xcode 6+", but you could also keep the section, and just label it for older versions of Xcode, with a short sentence about "XCode 6+ automatically installs the command line tools by default." above it.