GUI icons

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 15:56

Re: GUI icons

Yes, the point is to make it look more like the regular UI. Currently, there are no tabs, but I plan to add them soon.

(I like scheme... sadly can't use it for Crawl, though ;) )

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 17:17

edlothiol wrote:I like scheme

Wow... don't take this the wrong way, but are you a masochist? :D

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 20:05

Hello, Android guy here! I'm immensely interested in these tiles because they overlap with the UI hackery^H^H^H^H^H^H^Henhancements I've been making for the port. A couple of things:

Galahar: I've just finished the UI changes in the Android port to separate common and meta commands. The commit is here if you want to take a peek: https://gitorious.org/~frogbotherer/crawl/android-crawl/commit/dd0d89d867ddc5968d6d63b4c95ab4ee23397bd2. Once it's recompiled for ARM again and tested I'll get an updated .apk up as well.

dd: I don't suppose that I could trouble you for generic <OK> and <Cancel> tiles, using the same dimensions as these others (32x32)? I have added a popup alert box for answering Y/N questions on Android, and am currently using some horrifically out-of-place creative commons clipart.

More generally, I'm probably going to end up adding a couple more commands to the common bar: I want to get something that's playable on Android without a keyboard, which means there needs to be a route through the clickable UI to all of the required actions in the game. Also, I'm adding some buttons that duplicate tabs (i.e. 'i'nventory and 'M'emorise), because the full-screen menus are easier to deal with at small screen sizes.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 20:27

frogbotherer wrote:dd: I don't suppose that I could trouble you for generic <OK> and <Cancel> tiles, using the same dimensions as these others (32x32)? I have added a popup alert box for answering Y/N questions on Android, and am currently using some horrifically out-of-place creative commons clipart.

More generally, I'm probably going to end up adding a couple more commands to the common bar: I want to get something that's playable on Android without a keyboard, which means there needs to be a route through the clickable UI to all of the required actions in the game. Also, I'm adding some buttons that duplicate tabs (i.e. 'i'nventory and 'M'emorise), because the full-screen menus are easier to deal with at small screen sizes.

Sure, no trouble at all!

Ok & cancel should be easy to do. There's already an inventory icon in the ones I made, and making a memorize icon should also be easy. Let me know if there's any more icons you need.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 11th August 2012, 10:54

I've just cheked out a new trunk and I must say that new inventory cells are... disappointing. I mean the old ones were not so good, but new ones continues the worst traditions: the background is still pretty noisy (it suppresses the item/icon on top of it) and borders are too bright and thick (it suppresses the item as well, but moreover it takes space). It's much better to leave some open space between items/icons than stuck it with unnecessary borders. I strongly believe that background should be as neutral, as possible. Almost invisible. Am I totally wrong with principles and conclusions?..

Background is basis of all interface and it should be chosen very carefully. Please, reconsider this one. Or at least let's make borders thiner. Now we have borders 4 (four!) pixel wide, which makes whole interface very heavy and bulky.
Attachments
inventory background.png
inventory background.png (17.37 KiB) Viewed 3373 times

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 11th August 2012, 17:12

white_noise wrote: I strongly believe that background should be as neutral, as possible. Almost invisible. Am I totally wrong with principles and conclusions?..

Well, you're entitled to your opinions of course, but there's certainly no absolute rule that says what kind of graphics backgrounds should have. The important thing is that it is clear and foreground items are well visible on it - everything else is just aesthetics and stylistic choices. And opinions are like assholes - everyone has one...

A good background is mainly about contrast with regards to the foreground. Since the item tiles are generally all lighter than the background tiles, there's already a contrast of luminosity at play there - so there's no reason why the backgrounds couldn't be textured. In fact I feel backgrounds without any texture look boring and flat, and do not suit the overall visual style of Crawl.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 11th August 2012, 17:51

Ok & cancel buttons for the android port. I also included pressed buttons in case you need them.
Attachments
okcs.png
okcs.png (7.24 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

For this message the author dd has received thanks:
frogbotherer

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 11th August 2012, 23:03

That's great! These are now in the port and will be included in the next build that gets distributed, thanks :)
new_ok_button.png
new_ok_button.png (30.47 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 06:24

I've noticed that 'heal and search' icon do not signifies searching in no way. On the contrary it shows sleeping man who can't possibly search anything. And although I like the picture, maybe change it to campfire or something else, little more alert than sleeping. Maybe use two sand clocks: big one for 100-turn wait and smal one for 1-turn, and get rid of these Zzz completely...

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 08:43

There was an eye icon to represent searching on both icons earlier, but others thought they were better without them.

galehar wrote:I think it's better to have a single big icon per button than to try to explain too much. The important thing is that they are easy to recognise, players will learn quickly what they do.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 10:25

white_noise wrote:I've noticed that 'heal and search' icon do not signifies searching in no way. On the contrary it shows sleeping man who can't possibly search anything. And although I like the picture, maybe change it to campfire or something else, little more alert than sleeping. Maybe use two sand clocks: big one for 100-turn wait and smal one for 1-turn, and get rid of these Zzz completely...

There's a plan to overhaul traps and searching for 0.12. It would change wait and search to just wait. So, I don't think it's a big issue.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 10:29

Yep, that's good. As long as not everybody heals with time and it's kinda vainly to use 100 turns for searching.
Previous

Return to Contributions