Requested vaults?

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 21:34

Requested vaults?

Is there a list of requested/hoped for vaults maintained somewhere? (either a thread here, or on the game design wiki?)
I know I've seen requests for more vaults related to unrands, and vaults/mini-vaults to help with flavour in vaults, swamp, and crypt in other threads. Wasn't sure if there was a central list.
10 Wins: NaGl* (15) MuCj (15) DsFE* (4) DsWn*+ (5,8) HaBe (3) DECj (15) SpAK (5) GrBe+ (4) HoCK+ (15)
* on CAO; + on CZO

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 22:01

Re: Requested vaults?

There's no central list. If you want to see which areas are "in need", you might want to look at the .des files for various branches, and see which ones appear lacking. They're in much better shape than before, but a few branches are still a bit sparse. Themed shops might be another area to look at... this is still a fairly new concept, so we don't have a huge number of these still.

It doesn't matter what area you focus on though. As long as the vaults are high quality, more = better. I would suggest writing down all of the ideas you have, and then picking from the best ones.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 01:39

evilmike wrote:There's no central list. If you want to see which areas are "in need", you might want to look at the .des files for various branches, and see which ones appear lacking. They're in much better shape than before, but a few branches are still a bit sparse. Themed shops might be another area to look at... this is still a fairly new concept, so we don't have a huge number of these still.

Don't make any vaults for the Slime Pits, though, the level maker hasn't quite figured out how to deal with vaults and corrosive walls, so sometimes it'll put stairs next to a wall and stuff like that. I made a half-dozen Slime vaults before asking ##crawl-dev why there weren't any... :(

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
Midpoint

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 02:42

Shoals and Swamp also have very few non-entry non-ending vaults. Is this by design also, or are those branches simply not very inspiring to vault designers?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 02:56

nicolae wrote:Shoals and Swamp also have very few non-entry non-ending vaults. Is this by design also, or are those branches simply not very inspiring to vault designers?

I guess it's because they have unique layouts that make it harder to design vaults for. I've attempted to make Swamp vaults before and gave up... it was quite difficult to make them behave the way I wanted them to.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 04:05

Seems like as good a place as any to put in a request or two :) I'm not actually expecting anyone to make these, and would like to mention that anyone else following suit with posting some suggestions should keep in mind that actually creating the vaults are at the vault makers discretion (and implementation one step beyond, yadda yadda). If nothing else, maybe these will help give you some interesting ideas of your own.

Vault of the Octopus King. Central circular/oval room with 8 tentacles maybe? Kraken in the center with Octopodes running around throughout. Drop in 1-3 Unrand Octopus King items (between rings and trident) preferably. Should definitely have some water too.

Someone in another thread mentioned a vault where there is a dead adventurer with both the Singing Sword and gong shield. That would also be pretty cool.

Something similar to the L:1 entrance vault with all the monster behind glass, except the glass all disappears when you get a certain distance in. Maybe include something in the center that would make going in there worthwhile. Randart jewelry maybe? Would probably want the item visible from the entrance door, but inside a 'U' of translucent stone to prevent just apporting.

There have also been a few mentions of folks interested in a dead rising vault where you get surrounded by a zombie horde.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 04:44

bobross419 wrote:Vault of the Octopus King. Central circular/oval room with 8 tentacles maybe? Kraken in the center with Octopodes running around throughout. Drop in 1-3 Unrand Octopus King items (between rings and trident) preferably. Should definitely have some water too.

I've had this vault in my "vaults ideas" list ever since it got mentioned in that thread asking for more unrand vaults, almost exactly like you've described too. I spent some time messing around with custom monster spell lists to make a "deep kraken mage" guarding the rings, though it turns out that if you give a kraken conjuration spells it'll probably just blast the shit out of its own tentacles. Now if I could get the tentacles to cast spells...

Someone in another thread mentioned a vault where there is a dead adventurer with both the Singing Sword and gong shield. That would also be pretty cool.

That's a pretty cool idea. At some point I need to figure out how to put items on the same square as a delayed_decay corpse; are there vaults that do this already whose code I can just steal?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 13:45

bobross419 wrote:There have also been a few mentions of folks interested in a dead rising vault where you get surrounded by a zombie horde.

This would be a cool Yred vault where if you convert they turn friendly, or at least neutral. Could make for some interesting choices in the early game.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 14:03

nicolae wrote:At some point I need to figure out how to put items on the same square as a delayed_decay corpse; are there vaults that do this already whose code I can just steal?

Maybe like one of the Trog altars with a dagger on it?

Return to Contributions