Highscore table

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:22

Highscore table

Does anyone know how to display the highscore list that you get after your character dies? I've checked the manual and it doesn't tell anything about this.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:46

Re: Highscore table

There are two ways to get there. Either go to your saves folder, and open the scores file with a text editor (the formatting makes it kind of hard to read raw though), or open crawl, roll a new character, enter wizmode with &, and then quit, taking you to the scores screen (Using wizmode keeps the dummy character off your high scores list, although it will leave a morgue).

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks: 2
mattlistener, wayreth

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:59

mageykun wrote:There are two ways to get there. Either go to your saves folder, and open the scores file with a text editor (the formatting makes it kind of hard to read raw though), or open crawl, roll a new character, enter wizmode with &, and then quit, taking you to the scores screen (Using wizmode keeps the dummy character off your high scores list, although it will leave a morgue).

mageykun, thanks. Seems a bit of a hassle, but it's nice to know it's possible to do it without actually having to kill your character. Perhaps an option could be implemented to open it from the starting screen in one of the future releases? (hint, hint) ;)

For this message the author wayreth has received thanks:
jejorda2

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 00:09

./crawl --scores works too. Although command line help doesn't work on windows, so I guess a lot of people doesn't know about it :(

Code:
./crawl --help
Command line options:
  -help                 prints this list of options
  -name <string>        character name
  -species <arg>        preselect character species (by letter, abbreviation, or name)
  -background <arg>     preselect character background (by letter, abbreviation, or name)
  -plain                don't use IBM extended characters
  -seed <num>           init the rng to a given sequence (a hex number > 0)
  -dir <path>           crawl directory
  -rc <file>            init file name
  -rcdir <dir>          directory that contains (included) rc files
  -morgue <dir>         directory to save character dumps
  -macro <dir>          directory to save/find macro.txt
  -version              Crawl version (and compilation info)
  -save-version <name>  Save file version for the given player
  -sprint               select Sprint
  -sprint-map <name>    preselect a Sprint map
  -tutorial             select the Tutorial
  -zotdef               select Zot Defence
  -wizard               allow access to wizard mode

Command line options override init file options, which override
environment options (CRAWL_NAME, CRAWL_DIR, CRAWL_RC).

-extra-opt-first optname=optval
  -extra-opt-last  optname=optval

Acts as if 'optname=optval' was at the top or bottom of the init
file.  Can be used multiple times.

Highscore list options: (Can be redirected to more, etc.)
  -scores [N]            highscore list
  -tscores [N]           terse highscore list
  -vscores [N]           verbose highscore list
  -scorefile <filename>  scorefile to report on

Arena options: (Stage a tournament between various monsters.)
  -arena "<monster list> v <monster list> arena:<arena map>"

-test            run test cases in ./test
  -script <name>   run script matching <name> in ./scripts

Miscellaneous options:
  -dump-maps       write map Lua to stderr when parsing .des files

And I agree that it would be nice to have a menu entry in the main menu for the scores.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 11:56

I really feel that the high score table is an important part of the game because it gives me a sense of achievement and allows me to keep tabs on my most successful builds.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 15:47

If we're talking about implementing a way to view the high score table outside of the death screen, than I'm going to take the opportunity to suggest that that menu have a way to view the morgue file for that entry.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 17:59

Southpaw wrote:If we're talking about implementing a way to view the high score table outside of the death screen, than I'm going to take the opportunity to suggest that that menu have a way to view the morgue file for that entry.

Sure. Although, this is the kind of thing that will always be a low priority and devs will always have something more important to code. But we'll gladly take a patch :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 18:43

Perhaps if I have some free time during my last semester here at college I'll make that patch

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 20:21

Knowing it's a low priority, I've actually thought about how that would work myself. You know, despite knowing nothing about crawl's code in particular (my experience mostly being in vanilla C and lately matlab).

First, you find the function that gets called to display the highscores when you die. Then you need to special case it- since you want to call it without a death, it'll need null entries initializing the variables that fill in the character specific header that appears above the high scores list. Or more nicely, replace the header with white-space in the event of null entries. Then find the code that displays the starting menu, add a new option to call your modified high score function, and poof! There's your bare bones high score list. Probably easy to do?

Then, you make it nicer- you change the list into a scrollable menu where whatever character you've highlighted has their info displayed in the header. This'll be much harder. I've no idea how to change a static display into a dynamic menu (you might be able to cannibalize code from the skill menu?), but getting at the data should be easy- it's all in the scores file, and the function already reads that.

Now, to make a really great high scores list, you want to be able to open morgues in game. So you hit enter while highlighting an entry (or click, whatever), and there's the morgue. That's trickier- since right now crawl doesn't interact with morgues at all except to write them. Still, crawl already stores the morgue folder address somewhere, there's got to be a read text from file function you can use. Actually, I'm pretty sure crawl reads and displays the manual from the txt file- you can reuse whatever function(s) do that.

And for the finishing touch- make sure there's only one highscores function. So whether you get there by dying or the main menu, you get the same dynamic menu (just in one case it defaults to highlighting the guy who just died).

So yeah, I think it's mostly a matter of learning how other bits work, and borrowing as necessary. I figure it'll be harder to figure out how to get access to the source code, set up a coding environment and how to compile than actually implementing most of that. Figuring out how to implement the dynamic menu thing will probably be the hardest. Reading the morgue files could conceivably trip things up too- file-read functions always seem to have hidden pitfalls. >_>

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 20:27

The piece that fills in the top bit with the latest player death/win/quit is separate from the piece that displays the list.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
mageykun

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 21:30

I've made an implementable for it.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 5
karaka, mageykun, Mychaelh, Night2o1, wayreth

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 19:01

I've got a menu item added to the main screen, and gotten it to display a scrollable high score list. It will need some prettying up (headers and such), and I want to get a couple more things working before submitting a patch. (PGUP/PGDN functional and the highlighter appearing properly on the first item before any keypresses)

Oh, and I didn't have a tile to use and have no artistic skills so I made use of one titled Tavern that was near the other game type tiles.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 6
donblas, karaka, Mychaelh, rebthor, tasonir, wayreth

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 11:24

galehar & BlackSheep, kudos to you. :):)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 02:27

I've uploaded a patch for this to the wiki. Sorry this took so long. We had family come stay with us for a week so my free time was all but gone.

It sounds like someone else is working on a morgue file viewer, too. I've got some ideas on how to approach that percolating in my head, but I don't know how long it will take me.

Edit: This was pushed live. Mr. Holmes put together a much prettier high score list that shows the player summary at the top as you browse the list. I just added some menu enhancements, but I'm working on finishing up the morgue file viewer so you can look at the whole thing.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
wayreth

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 04:24

galehar wrote:./crawl --scores works too. Although command line help doesn't work on windows, so I guess a lot of people doesn't know about it :(

Is there currently a way to view the High Scores in OSX Tiles?

In OSX, I can launch with --scores via the command line using:
  Code:
>open -a Dungeon\ Crawl\ Stone\ Soup\ -\ Tiles --args --scores

...but the app just launches and quits.

I can't figure out how to access the stuff Blacksheep is talking about in the post just above.

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=5481 also talks about such functions but the discussion thread doesn't mention anywhere how you access them. :-(
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 05:22

You can access it from the main menu now

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
mattlistener

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th February 2013, 05:51

Ah! Trouble was that I was still running 0.10 on the mac where I've done most of my Crawling. I'll go upgrade. Thanks.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Return to Contributions