Unpolished tiles

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 19th January 2011, 04:01

Re: Unpolished tiles

They all look pretty good to me...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 20:04

I'm kind of with danr. I'm not great with graphics, but I'll try to come up with feedback anyway. I can't really suggest tips or anything since I've made so few tiles. Hopefully co, coolio and other tile contributors speak up too.

First off the look of these is less "pixelwork", which I like and I think is used mostly in Crawl, and more "generated" or "rendered", made with a photoshop-style program. In the pixeled tiles there are less shades of colour used. I guess it'd be possible to "pixel over" the tiles, using less shades to get a more pixely look.

Sand-covered staircase looks like a great concept. It is a bit messy I agree. I think the staircase in the background shouldn't get more sandy while the sand is raising - I hope you get what I mean. I'd really like to see all the portal vaults get custom graphics for the portals.

Out of the floor tiles, the black snake skin floor, the magenta bathroom tile floor and the turquoise floor with swirls look pretty nice to me. I like the blue scaly floor too but it kind of stands out from the others. It kind of doesn't feel background-y enough.

The black-and-white floor with some sort of curved lines has potential too, I think something organic-y and slightly disturbing could come out of it. It's quite blurry though. Also it too feels a little not-background-y enough.

--Eino

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 21:56

Not sure if you wanted feedback, but oh well, here goes.
I have two concern regarding your tiles:
First off as Eino says, too many colors are used, this is true for all but the purple set. One would think that using fewer colors is harder, but it actually isn't, (IMO) using less colors makes it easier to change the colors and using less shades makes it easier to see which pixels look off. Its easy to fall in the trap of using many layers and filters to take "shortcuts" in tile development, Its almost impossible to make tiles with too many colors look right. I've spent hours trying to alter the dungeon floor tiles with layers and filters, making the new lair tiles, before scraping everything and starting over.

Second: lack of planning, this applies to 1 and 3 (and maybe 5). I can't really tell what 1 and 3 are supposed to look like. It feels like you started drawing without a concept in mind.

The rest is just polishing. :)

My favourites of your tiles are:
The blue mosaic.
The Purple floor.
The Portal.
The sand-covered stairs. (after seeing these tiles I tried to make my own version, but I
failed).

Because those has the strongest concepts.

This is the process I usually go through:

1. Think of an Idea of what I'd like to do.
2. Drawing a sketch using two colors.
3. Add more colors and more details.
5. Tweak colors, fix oddities.
6. Make a mockup and fix more if necessary. (this is probably the most time consuming step when making tile-able tiles).

-- off topic --
And lastly, since I'm at it I'd like to mention that I'm a big fan of your vaults, your vaults inspired me to make the few vaults I've made so far. Your latest submission is especially amazing and I can't wait to see it in-game.
Keep it up!

Return to Contributions