Vault programming with no_tele_into

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 19:10

Vault programming with no_tele_into

I'm trying my hand at making some vaults. Here's one I'm working on:

Code:
#
NAME:  nicolae_fedhas_temptation
#DEPTH: D:2-7
PLACE: D:1
WEIGHT: 50000
ORIENT: float
TAGS: no_item_gen no_trap_gen no_monster_gen
KPROP: 12L = no_tele_into
KFEAT: _ = altar_fedhas
MONS: plant, oklob plant
NSUBST: L = 1:F / *:G
KITEM: F = pear / apple / choko / apricot / orange / banana / rambutan / lychee
KITEM: G = w:20 * / w:29 $ / w:1 |
MAP
XXXXXXXXXXt.t.
X2LL21121X....
X2LL12211+._.@
X2LL21121X....
XXXXXXXXXXt.t.
ENDMAP

The idea is to tempt an early player into worshipping Fedhas with loot hidden behind plants and oklobs. For some reason, though, I can't seem to keep the player from blinking or control teleporting into the loot part even with no_tele_into. (Though, in testing, blinking into the loot chamber is a death sentence for a low-level player anyway, but I want my bases covered.) What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I might have to edit the layout a bit so a sufficiently pious Beoghite can't stand in safety and smite all the oklobs, but that's more design than programming.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 19:57

Re: Vault programming with no_tele_into

Someone with more code experience can confirm, but I believe that no_tele_into only prohibits random teleports.

There's already a Fedhas altar vault with some fruit guarded by an oklob behind a wall of plants and bushes. Look at that for inspiration.

I understand your sentiment in this vault, but there's no good way to guarantee that the only way to get at the loot would be as a Fedhasite. Just thinking of the ways that I would snatch loot out of the grasp of oklobs in general (not just in this vault):

1) Summons. Duck into LOS long enough to send them at the target and then duck back out.
2) Apportation works through plants, I'm pretty sure.
3) Invisibility.
4) Bolt spells.
5) Smite targeted spells (Airstrike, anyone?).
6) Brute force: high EV + Repel/Deflect + rCorr.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 20:09

Stormfox wrote:Someone with more code experience can confirm, but I believe that no_tele_into only prohibits random teleports.

That's no_rtele_into, there's supposed to be no_tele_into that deals with both random and controlled ports.

I understand your sentiment in this vault, but there's no good way to guarantee that the only way to get at the loot would be as a Fedhasite. Just thinking of the ways that I would snatch loot out of the grasp of oklobs in general (not just in this vault):

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't be impossible, but the idea was that any player sufficiently-powered enough to get to the loot without Fedhas would probably not get much use out of it anyway -- low-level characters probably wouldn't manage very strong summons or brute force, the plants make it harder to use invisibility by slowing your progress, etc. Putting the loot and some oklobs around a corner so you can't do smites/apportation from a position of safety might help.

In any case, even if the vault design turns out not to be worthwhile, I'm still not sure why no_tele_into isn't working.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2011, 18:27

Question: Does KPROP persist through a SUBST? For instance:

KPROP: X = no_tele_into
SUBST: X = S

would a square marked as X continue to be no_tele_into after it was swapped with something else? I had similar problems with another vault, with KMONS and KITEM, and had a hard time getting it to do what I wanted.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 4th December 2011, 02:28

I think the docs mention whether that kind of stuff persists through SUBST, but I cant check right now.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th December 2011, 03:24

Galefury wrote:I think the docs mention whether that kind of stuff persists through SUBST, but I cant check right now.

The documentation says that KMASK attributes remain set even if the tile is later substituted for something else, but it doesn't seem to say one way or the other for the other Kxxxx directives.

For example
KMASK: W = no_monster_gen
will prevent monsters from randomly being generated on shallow water squares. Note that if shuffling and substitutions cause W to end up as water 10% of the time and floor 90% of the time, then those floor squares will still have no_monster_gen set, but that's still a higher degree of control than you get with TAGS.

Return to Contributions