Forge Dwarf Upload

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 07:48

Re: Forge Dwarf Upload

deep dwarves have -1 for short blades and 0 for long blades, and they are the same size. in fact their aptitudes are a good template:

Code:
Fgt SBl LBl M&F Axs Pla Stv UC
-------------------------------
 -1  -1   0   0  +1  -1  -1  -1

polearms and staves are slightly below-average, and axes have +1 because "dwarves".

mind you, this is all minor stuff.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 09:31

I'm eventually going to make changes based on feedback, I will probably change the apts then.

In the meantime, I'd like to mention that I don't really like how the reforging abilities turned out. Those will probably be changed or removed at some point down the line.

The concept of personally enhancing your weapons is still good flavour-wise. If current reforging doesn't make the cut, then maybe I will work on a god with reforge-type abilities. Maybe a "Create artefact" feature at high piety.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 12:02

Just reading sparingly it seems that FDs suit good for Chei worship to make tank casters, aren't they ?

Also, why not less stealthier -2 / -3 ? they are forgers and heavy armor users, they don't care about being silent even in a dungeon.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 13:04

Just reading sparingly it seems that FDs suit good for Chei worship to make tank casters, aren't they ?

any caster benefits from more int. as for str, what you've got plus what you'll gain on level-ups should be enough to cover the armour penalties, unless you want to cast in very heavy armour.

Also, why not less stealthier -2 / -3 ? they are forgers and heavy armor users, they don't care about being silent even in a dungeon.

because it removes choices. penalties should come from balance, not flavour, whenever possible. i don't think having a half-decent stealth apt is unreasonable.

In the meantime, I'd like to mention that I don't really like how the reforging abilities turned out. Those will probably be changed or removed at some point down the line.

The concept of personally enhancing your weapons is still good flavour-wise. If current reforging doesn't make the cut, then maybe I will work on a god with reforge-type abilities. Maybe a "Create artefact" feature at high piety.

i only used reforge weapon once, and i got a +4 whip from a +1 whip. i didn't want to burn any more MP because i was playing heavy armour and nemelex, so i was screwed in the MP department, but it felt, if anything, too strong. HP might work better, since you have more margin. pulling a few properties from a bag to make an artifact from an existing weapon sounds interesting, but may be hard to balance.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 13:37

Actually, I like the emphasis on blunt weapons, which include hammers - of special note to forge dwarves :-)

Maybe you could swap out starting blunt weapons to hammers (perhaps with more enchantment, in the case of maces)?

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 14:14

FD is definitely suited to Chei worship. The INT bonus is really noticeable. For novelty purposes, the extra STR bonus allows you to wear GDA without penalty while you boost your INT. That plus 27 armour skill and wizardry bonus makes it possible to cast spells while wearing the heaviest armour in the game, before going into the post-game.*

*Purely theoretical.

The future version of reforge X could have the "Only usable once per item" property. In fact, that would be a good excuse to allow people to enchant armour past the normal maximum. "Permanent maxHP cost" is stuck in limbo for the moment.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 21:02

New idea for Dwarfify ability

I have a new suggestion for how Dwarfify should work:

Dwarfify is no longer an ability at all.

When a Forge Dwarf uses a scroll of enchant armour on an item and that item is not dwarven it gains the dwarven trait but does NOT increase its pluses.

When a forge dwarf uses a scroll of enchant armour on an item that is dwarven it works as normal (adding pluses).

The same thing goes for weapons.

What do you think? If the above doesn't work maybe this suggestion will get people brainstorming other productive suggestions.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 00:02

Sorry I've been gone for a long time, I had to finish school.

I've modified FD aptitudes a little. I'm hoping to see some feedback on the species before I make more changes. I don't need more ideas for the reforging ability right now because I still have ideas that I need to test myself. So, to everyone who tested FD: how does the species play? Is it interesting/uninteresting? How does your typical FD game go?

For this message the author File200 has received thanks:
dpeg

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 00:19

File200: currently everyone is busy with 0.11, once that's out I'll lobby once more for setting up FD as a trunk branch. That should allow for a lot of testing. (No promises the species goes in, but it has no chance at all without testing.) Thanks for the continuing support!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 03:11

File200 wrote:Sorry I've been gone for a long time, I had to finish school.

I've modified FD aptitudes a little. I'm hoping to see some feedback on the species before I make more changes. I don't need more ideas for the reforging ability right now because I still have ideas that I need to test myself. So, to everyone who tested FD: how does the species play? Is it interesting/uninteresting? How does your typical FD game go?

I haven't played in a while, but now that my life is less filled with stress, I'll probably recompile the latest FD branch and give it another whirl.

My latest experience: Turns out I am absolutely terrible at playing heavy armor casters even when the species is designed for it.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 04:10

Please I want to play this species badly! Add moon trolls too!
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt
Previous

Return to Contributions