New slime wall tiles?

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2011, 22:20

New slime wall tiles?

I was thinking of making a new set of wall tiles for slime, to give the branch a more slimy feel (it's also good since the walls in slime has corroding properties).
So far I have made a mock-up with two variations of a wall tile:

Remember that this is just a first draft. A final version would of course have more variations and more polished tiles etc.

What do you think?
Thoughts, ideas and criticism are welcome.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 01:41

Re: New slime wall tiles?

The borders don't fit. They look like little boxes, not like one big wall. Other than that I like them. I think the current slime walls are okay, but there is some room for improvement.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 09:58

de-grid is a must! And more variations. Otherwise, very good! Right now slime walls are just recoloured orcish mine/lair walls.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 12:31

Looks promising! Slime getting its own wall tiles (properly different, not just recoloured) would be very nice.

One vague comment - since the walls burn you when you're next to them, it'd be cool if the walls looked damaging or dangerous. How to achieve that, I don't know, but perhaps this gives you an inspiration.

(On a side note (off-topic really), the console version marks the floor space where you get damaged with different colour, but tiles version lacks that information. There should be some sort of an overlay, which is a coding task..)

--Eino

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 14:08

Walls need better flow. Look way too distinct as squares.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 18:53

Curio wrote:de-grid is a must! And more variations. Otherwise, very good! Right now slime walls are just recoloured orcish mine/lair walls.

Yeah, I think it will be tough to make a de-grided version of the current big-smooth-slimy-stone concept.
The thing with de-griding tiles is that whenever a tile ends and another set begins (floor in this case) it looks cut-off , but I will give it a try!

evktalo wrote:Looks promising! Slime getting its own wall tiles (properly different, not just recoloured) would be very nice.

One vague comment - since the walls burn you when you're next to them, it'd be cool if the walls looked damaging or dangerous. How to achieve that, I don't know, but perhaps this gives you an inspiration.

(On a side note (off-topic really), the console version marks the floor space where you get damaged with different colour, but tiles version lacks that information. There should be some sort of an overlay, which is a coding task..)

--Eino

Yeah making them look dangerous would be really good, but as you I have no idea of how to accomplish this, maybe make it look bubbly? I'll experiment, any suggestions of how to make the walls look dangerous would be very much appreciated.
About, the floor overlay, thats what actually prompted me to make new slime walls, I would make an overlay but it felt weird when the walls didn't look slimy at all.

Also I was hoping that the you would see through to the floor at the edges, but it got black instead. Does anyone have any idea of why that is? I thought that walls supported transparency, think glass and green crystal walls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 21:27

Maybe drop the bubbles angle and try instead to make the walls look like a single homogeneous mass of slime.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 09:14

Slime oozing out of the wall could look great IMO.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 17:59

Galefury wrote:Slime oozing out of the wall could look great IMO.

It could also be reused for a proposed Alchemy spell.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 22:20

Grimm wrote:Maybe drop the bubbles angle and try instead to make the walls look like a single homogeneous mass of slime.

Galefury wrote:Slime oozing out of the wall could look great IMO.

Thanks for the ideas, I think you guys are on the right track.
Sudden RL stuff takes most of my time at the moment, so I probably won't be able to get to this right away.
As soon as I manage to produce something good/acceptable I'll post it here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 07:56

Alternatively try regular brick walls that are dripping slime.

Return to Contributions