macOS build instructions

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

erf

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2020, 12:26

macOS build instructions

Hi,

I read the INSTALL.md on how to compile on macOS, but i found the "make" command to not produce the correct result. In order for me to build a mac app i have to use the following command: "make mac-app-tiles APPLE_GCC=y NO_PKGCONFIG=y CONTRIB_SDL=y TILES=y". Would it make sense to add this to the INSTALL.md file perhaps?

Later,
Erlend

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd September 2020, 03:57

Re: macOS build instructions

Can you explain in more detail how the suggested commands fail, and how you figured out the above command to run?

erf

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd September 2020, 07:27

According to INSTALL.md i need to run "make -j4 TILES=y" after i have installed dependencies. I tried that, and it seem to build ok, but no mac app is built. I get the following output:
"Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C rltiles all ARCH=x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0 NO_PKGCONFIG=Yes TILES=y"

In the "Makefile" you have a "mac-app-tiles" build option, which builds using "mac/Makefile.app-bundle". This creates the mac app archive in the "mac-app-zips" folder.

I cant remember how i came up with the exact options i was using, since it was some time ago, maybe the INSTALL document has changed. But whoever makes the mac release builds now and upload them to the webpage could maybe chip in?

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 4th September 2020, 01:58

Thanks for the info. I submitted a pull request based on this feedback: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/1554

erf

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th September 2020, 08:12

I tried to build according to your pull request "make -j4 mac-app-tiles". This builds the zips, but the application does not run. Did you test that it work?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th September 2020, 00:25

According to INSTALL.md i need to run "make -j4 TILES=y" after i have installed dependencies. I tried that, and it seem to build ok, but no mac app is built.

I guess some of this was clarified in the PR thread, but this command in particular isn't intended to build an app version. Rather, it builds a binary that you can run at the command line that will start tiles (called `crawl`, so just run `./crawl` from the source directory).

Return to Contributions