Crawl French Translation

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 27th May 2019, 15:02

Crawl French Translation

Hello,
I'm a new Crawl player, and pretty enthusiastic with it. As a native french speaker, I thought it would be nice having a version that my (not english spleaking) friends can play.
I figured a translation project was started a few years ago and met death’s doors around mid-2014.
Therefore here are a few questions :
1. Is it still possible to contribute to crawl by updating/adding translations ?
2. Is there anything left of this transifex based project? Can it be revived ?
3. Is there a text database for crawl that could be easily edited ? Or is there a way of extracting text from the game folders themselves ? I found the wiki table of items descriptions by Galehar in the crawl development wiki, which in itself is very good working material.
4. As it is always better to have someone else reviewing the translations, is there anyone from the former french translation team still active ?
5. Should this project start, where/to whom should I be sending translated files? In what format/encoding?
Looking forward to be able to contribute to spreading Crawl to french speakers,
Thank you in advance!

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 27th May 2019, 22:17

Re: Crawl French Translation

You can translate descriptions of items by updating the files in here: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/tree/mas ... t/descript

Updating the UI to show different text is currently not possible due to how crawl is coded. Most strings (like "You are too berserk!") are hardcoded in C++ files, so you would need to submit a large code change to make them compatible with a translation system.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 8th July 2019, 23:56

I was wondering about translations too (not specifically French).

Looks like there was a lot of translation activity from 2011 to around 2014/15, but then it was abandoned.
Some links I found:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4107
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ementation
https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/ ... anslation/

Looking at the github repo, it seems like a lot of the detailed descriptions have been translated. A lot other stuff has not (e.g. all the messages that appear in the message window, item and monster names, menu options).
Also, a lot of the text that hasn't been translated is generated dynamically and the way the code works is very specific to English grammar. It would need to be made generic.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 4th August 2019, 12:41

Oh, i didn't know this existd ! Maybe i can give a hand, too, i know some people around me who would like to play but can't because can't speak english well enough...

Return to Contributions