Change the lair floor tiles?

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 20:35

Change the lair floor tiles?

The current lair floor tiles are very bright green, with a hint of dark red.
I think that it would be more clear and easier on the eye (and look better) if we made the floor all gray-green.
It would also widen the contrast between the plants/trees and the floor.
Basicly I think the floor is taking up too much attention, it should be more backgroundish.

I think the lair should look something like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2763964/new_lair.png
rather than this: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tiles_screenshot_storm_disc.png

I simply took some floor tiles from the dungeon and recolored them to make the new ones.

If the Idea gets support I will post a suggestion on the tracker with tiles. The reason I won't do this right away is because this would be very little work on my part and since this is not a response to a request I have no Idea if anybody other than me thinks this would be an improvement. Making it almost a feature request, which doesn't belong in the tracker.

So what do guys you think?

Server Admin

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 22:10

Re: Change the lair floor tiles?

I think it looks nice. Quite smooth.
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 22:13

That's a million times better and you might want to work on the walls too while you're at it (although the lair has pretty good wall tiles compared to, for example, the old dungeon walls)

Be sure to avoid the grid while you're making the new floor tiles. I see that you've done that quite a bit already and the grid that's visible in the example pic you posted is emphasized due to there only being a single floor tile.

Keep up the good work!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 00:09

Very nice, I like it. With a more grassy texture, and maybe some dark brown mixed (dirt) would be perfect.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 18:07

Definite improvement. Go ahead co. Thanks for all the awesome work already too. :)

--Eino

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 18:49

Whoa, the tiles client has a minimap??

Maybe it's time to give up the old ways and at least TRY OUT embracing the new.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 21:07

Great to hear that you agree with me, I thought I should drop by and tell you that I have started to work on the tiles.:)
Thanks for all the support!

@coolio: Yeah, I agree that the walls could use some polishing, but I'll do one thing at a time, floor tiles are hard as it is.:P
But speaking of wall tiles, the slime pits really should have a unique set of wall tiles since those walls have unique properties (Acid damage). //off topic

Question: What kind of floor does the lair have?
I always thought it was mossy stone, but galehar is speaking of grass, I'm not sure anymore.
Is there any flavour in the game concerning what kind of floor there is in lair? The new noise says the lair floor is quiet right?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 18:44

God bless the people working on tiles. <3

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 19:59

co wrote:Question: What kind of floor does the lair have?
I always thought it was mossy stone, but galehar is speaking of grass, I'm not sure anymore.
Is there any flavour in the game concerning what kind of floor there is in lair? The new noise says the lair floor is quiet right?

The in-game description says nothing about that. So I guess it's up to tile makers to decide what is it and how it looks like :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 16:05

I've got som work in progress I'd like to show off:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2763964/new_lair1.png

Comments and criticism are highly appreciated.

Is it too gray?
Got any ideas?

For this message the author co has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 22:43

co wrote:I've got som work in progress I'd like to show off:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2763964/new_lair1.png

Comments and criticism are highly appreciated.

Is it too gray?
Got any ideas?

for a lair with mossy stone floor, it's perfect! And it's a nice theme by the way too. It certainly fits well with the rest of the dungeon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th January 2011, 05:47

Very nice looking floor.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 22:43

Purely awesome man! Unusual but awesome!
That green floor bugged me since i saw it for the first time! Green rats and hydras are pain in the rear to spot sometimes. And it's a more of a problem with the latter :roll:
Maybe I'm asking too much, but is it possible to add some small patches of grass(not very acidic in color) growing between some rocks? That would dilute overall perspective a bit.

And while we on topic,I think there's a point of making more than 1 type of vegetation and 1 type of bush. I'll gladly look up to that. Just need some ideas of plant types. (new mushrooms must have!)

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 23:05

Haha, thanks, glad you like it.
I forgot to mention it here but I have submitted a proposal to the tracker, you can view the latest version here: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=3273.

@Curio: Hmm grass patches, that could work, I might do it provided I get some spare time (which unfortunately seems quite unlikely right now). I fully support you making more plant/mushroom variations though! Can't think of any concepts on the top of my head, but they should look alike (probably keep the color scheme) for consistency.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th January 2011, 01:31

Giant shiitake. Er, I mean mega.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 11:58

Rocking the new Lair floor tiles in trunk right now. They are gorgeous. Thank you very much.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 12:38

Glad you like it :).
But when I play on trunk the darkest shades of green on the floor becomes black, am I the only one with this problem? (the files in rltiles looks exactly like the ones I submitted)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 12:52

co wrote:Glad you like it :).
But when I play on trunk the darkest shades of green on the floor becomes black, am I the only one with this problem? (the files in rltiles looks exactly like the ones I submitted)

I have it too. No idea what's causing it though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 05:36

Interesting. Just today I was trying to make an avatar for this site from a tile in main.png. I selected part of the black area to be the transparent colour, but when I tried it out only part of the "black" area was transparent, the rest was still black. This made me think:

- for whatever reason the dark background on the tiles that gets treated as transparent is not all a uniform black.
- therefore, the game must be compensating for this by treating colours that are close to black as close enough and also makes them transparent.

However, that was with object tiles, not floor tiles. Still though, it could mean that Crawl does something funky with colours that are close to black.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 06:44

Hmmm, the strange thing is that I made the mockups by compiling the game with my floor tiles and then take a screenshot in-game.
I can't really see why the game would suddenly start to react differently to the tiles.

Return to Contributions